New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Neatahwanta  (Read 14094 times)

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Neatahwanta
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:52 PM »
nope we just will build a dock on it and put restaurants around it. haha if you want a fish dinner just stoo in at bullhead point at mr mikes...thats the only place you can eat fish in fulton according to all the people that claim you cant eat the fish out of there
It'll eat.

Offline BlueGill92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Everybody has a comment on this lake. Me personally say "stay away"  ;D ;D ;D!!! If you catch and keep or catch and release, it's still a fun lake to fish. I stop fishing it about august, to shallow by then for me . But i haven't fished it though the ice in years. I'm shure its still produces some nice fish. And for the story of the large bass well thats just it. It's a story!!! R team of BASS angler's fish it on a regular basis and the largest one weigh in at 6lb 3oz nice fish though on av. they r 3lber's But to who ever wants to fish it good luck. In the spring after ice pm me we'll go out and have some fun ;D ;D

Offline newbie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:14 AM »
newbi  pm me  a  phone  number  i may have  fished it a  time  or  2  and will hook ya  up......  don't  ask  catch  he only  plays a  guitar  and  he  does  that out of  tune!!!!!

For some reason, I'm unable to PM you. PM me w/your # if you don't mind. Thanks.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:58 PM »
For some reason, I'm unable to PM you. PM me w/your # if you don't mind. Thanks.
you need 2 more post then you will be set ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline sniksder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Used to be one of my favorite ice fishing holes, would head up there (2) hours before dark park behind the War Memorial and head across at about 1 o'clock.  Like Trapper said hit the 10-12 water mark and start making holes.  Crappies would start about 1/2 hour before dark and wouldn't stop.  Now I'm afraid of my trucks paint job getting to close to that lake. :tipup: :-\

Offline liveforfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:22 PM »
that 9lber game in '87, dont believe me if that makes u feel better. If i can dig up the pic at my moms house ill post it. Are all u people chiming in new to the lake or ole' timers. Im only 35, but remember a time when that lake was second to none for just 'bout anything. Spose u guys r going to say that Torpedo Joe didnt exist either. I also heard stories of when they used to shock it in the late eighties/early nineties, that they found a 14lber in there. Just because "u" didnt catch it it didnt exist? Who are the bass anglers Hutch , Hammond, Gallini? U guys should no better, theyre in there. Also try the biggest rubber worm u can find 6-8 inches the bigger the better my dad always told me. I know how big the fish was i saw , fish tales are for those who need to create some sort of false reality for some reason, like life isnt good enough. If u lie ur only lying to yourself!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:38 PM »
i  been  fishing  neatahwanta    back  when  a  guy  named moses  split  it  in two ....  i've  caught  more  fish  out there  then  you've  lied  about   ;D

just  to let people  know!!!!  do not attempt  to walk on neatahwanta  the  ice  is  good  close to the  beach  area  but  gets  thin real  fast!!!! 

catch  well have  to  wait  to  take  that  walk  across and  get those  3  pound  crappies  :roflmao:

WARNING  ....50FEET  OUT  YOU'LL  GO THREW!!!!!

Offline R.K.G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:41 PM »
that 9lber game in '87, dont believe me if that makes u feel better. If i can dig up the pic at my moms house ill post it. Are all u people chiming in new to the lake or ole' timers. Im only 35, but remember a time when that lake was second to none for just 'bout anything. Spose u guys r going to say that Torpedo Joe didnt exist either. I also heard stories of when they used to shock it in the late eighties/early nineties, that they found a 14lber in there. Just because "u" didnt catch it it didnt exist? Who are the bass anglers Hutch , Hammond, Gallini? U guys should no better, theyre in there. Also try the biggest rubber worm u can find 6-8 inches the bigger the better my dad always told me. I know how big the fish was i saw , fish tales are for those who need to create some sort of false reality for some reason, like life isnt good enough. If u lie ur only lying to yourself!
Liveforfish....you need to remember that there are always internet legends on these sights who will spout off at the mouth on every topic in attempts to make others believe that they're highly knowledgeable and all knowing.    It's unfortunate that the people with the honest information and reports get swept under the rug in favor of these legends in their own minds.        Disregard their attempts to discredit you and keep posting the true stories for those interested.     Thanks.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Liveforfish....you need to remember that there are always internet legends on these sights who will spout off at the mouth on every topic in attempts to make others believe that they're highly knowledgeable and all knowing.    It's unfortunate that the people with the honest information and reports get swept under the rug in favor of these legends in their own minds.        Disregard their attempts to discredit you and keep posting the true stories for those interested.     Thanks.
well here are the words of another worthless internet legend then there al linder ::) ::) ::) ::) i have fished that lake myself for over 25 years living only 7 miles a way and was there when the crappie fishing was good along with trapper. (who i did not know) back then. this was the time when you could sell crappies and i watched the lake get fish almost out of fish.i am sure there are other species in there that are still big and i know you can still find numbers of good crappies in there to an extent anyway. i am not a legend here on the internet or out on the water at all but i do know the lakes and i do know how to catch the fish. all i can say if you do go out there on the ice this season be very careful because i have never seen a lake any place that has that many springs in it. the ice is unforgivin out there. not that i know anything about that place right R.K.G
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline R.K.G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:22 PM »
well here are the words of another worthless internet legend then there al linder ::) ::) ::) ::) i have fished that lake myself for over 25 years living only 7 miles a way and was there when the crappie fishing was good along with trapper. (who i did not know) back then. this was the time when you could sell crappies and i watched the lake get fish almost out of fish.i am sure there are other species in there that are still big and i know you can still find numbers of good crappies in there to an extent anyway. i am not a legend here on the internet or out on the water at all but i do know the lakes and i do know how to catch the fish. all i can say if you do go out there on the ice this season be very careful because i have never seen a lake any place that has that many springs in it. the ice is unforgivin out there. not that i know anything about that place right R.K.G
Don't assume that anything was aimed at you and don't assume that just because you lived 7 miles from the lake that you or others who've fished is frequently are the only ones who know exactly what's come out of the lake over the years.
  Do you remember Bob & the Fatmans bait shop ?   I personally witnessed a huge largemouth being kept alive in one of his minnow tanks.  It was well over 8 lbs but I didn't see them weigh it.  I do know that they released the fish.  Who's to say that there aren't larger bass in that lake ?    Oh yeah.......a living legend in his own mind  ::)

Offline tgrm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Back in the day it was good Tiger lake. Big Fish !!!!!!!
tgrm

Offline liveforfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:57 PM »
thanks for th support RKG i dont let these guys get me down. Many people fish the same waters with different results, so its no wonder that some dont believe i live maybe a quarter mile if that, right on phillips. Like i said i canoe to the lake in the spring when the Tannery is high enough. And my father grew up on Broadwell Ave in the early sixties having moved here from Sackets Harbor. I know what the lake was , is , and can be. I also talked with a friend that i graduated with, he works for Onondaga county waste water division. The same company that does testing on their water samples did a study on the lake soon after the 'dog incident'. Blue green alge was confirmed, n the problems with the lake lay solely on the surrounding farms and their runoff. The phosphorous limits are through the roofas well as sediment runoff. My relatives own the old apple orchard on 176 , Mr Mauer the retired teacher, were probably adding to the problem themselves. Good fishing there could be great again all im sayn like i said before many communities dont have a resource like that its a shame we as a community and as enviromentalists, stewards of the land if u will have let it get to this point with all the negative light cast on the lake in recent years. I remember Mr Alluzzi aka Three Little Piggies, say that they should fill it in and make useable land out of it, for what low income housing? isnt there enough of that already in this town. The amount of money it would take shouldnt matter, christ we here already pay the highest taxes in the state, why not put them to good use n revitalize a fishery that would bring business back. There just arent the people using the lake like they once did. Its a shame!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Y'all need to go fishing. All this chest thumping is giving me a headache.

HT, you're still a legend in my mind...I think....well, I can't remember right now :-\

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Back in the day it was good Tiger lake. Big Fish !!!!!!!

yup  but  they  only  stock  500  a  year  for  a  few  years  ,  how  ever  ,  the  northern  fishing  has  always  been  respectable....my  personal  best  was  13  pounds   from that  lake  on  a  tip  up  in  front  of  the  high  school  beach  area  .....

in  the  80's  we  had  67  latterns  in  the  "hole"  one  night  on a  night  bite !  the  fishing  was  awesome  prior  to  the  25  limit  ....  i  still  do  great  over  there  but  thats  a  long  walk ....  i  fish  it alot  in  the  summer   always  have  ....  i lived  on the  lake  and  grew  up  there...  done  alot  of  the  orginal  work on  the camp  grounds....  the  lake  is  a  100%  safe  lake    to  enjoy .....  you  can  check  with  the  DEC  no  blue  green  toxic  algia was  ever  confirmed(not  to  say  it  can't  happen)  no  chemical pollution ,  it  is a  eutrophic  lake  which  will  have   algia   blooms  ....  it's  no  big  deal  ...the  water  was  tested  and  is  still monitored  by  the  great  lakes  research  group  although  natural  toxions  can   acure  there  is  nothing  to  fear  ....  there  was  a  dog  MISTAKINGLY  REPORTED DEAD  ....never happened  however  several  dogs  were  reported ill  ...no  prove  why  ...also  at  this  time  (and  very  day)  i  was  kayaking  and   kids  were  swiming in  that  very  water  ,  that  very  beach!  no human  got  sick!!!!  although  swiming  was  ended we  were  allowed  back  kayaking   ,jet  sking  and  fishing  as  soon  as  the  water  testing  came  back  in  a  week or  2  .....  the  only  time  this  "possiably  happened"  was in  july  of  2004...i  personally  as  someone  that  fishes  kayaks  jet  ski's   ice  fishes  and  fishes  that  lake  , i  don't  think it  was   toxic  ....  neither  does  the  state ,  city  of  fulton  or  town of  granby  ...percautions  have  been  taken  by  ending  swiming  to  eliminate  any  liablity  to  the  city  ............

i been  fishing it  over  55  years  ,i'm fine     

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:14 PM »
oh  i  lived    on  west  4th  street  by  the  way  and  watched  the    laterns   from my  bedroom  at  night  ....  and  blue  algia   doesn't   bloom   in  the  winter  under  ice  .... 

bass  DON"T  GO  OUT  THERE  NOW!!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:23 PM »
You all need to go north and go icefishing....being cooped up is making you all too grumpy!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Trapper,
You're fine ???
As compared to what???  ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Y'all need to go fishing.

RG
I just came off this lake. The shoreline is a long step in the right place and you will be fine. the white pack ice is solid, 5-7 inches..the scary looking black ice is 3.5-4.5  inches. we went all the way across and fished the crappie spot...and caught...?? You will never know!   ;D But i would still be there catching them if the wind didn't get crazy tonight!  ;)
I don't miss the crowds of people who used to fish this lake at all..nice and quiet out there now.

gotta go fillet a few...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:25 PM »
no  adk  i'm  fine   i'm  just  stateing  facts  and  not  myths  of  9  lb  bass  big  foot  and  blue  algia  blooms  under  the  ice  ....

lol  RG  i  been  fishing  everyday    big  guy  i  just  do  what  you  do ice  gets  bad  fish  the  open  water  a  perch  is  a  perch  ..... 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:29 PM »
I just came off this lake. The shoreline is a long step in the right place and you will be fine. the white pack ice is solid, 5-7 inches..the scary looking black ice is 3.5-4.5  inches. we went all the way across and fished the crappie spot...and caught...?? You will never know!   ;D But i would still be there catching them if the wind didn't get crazy tonight!  ;)
I don't miss the crowds of people who used to fish this lake at all..nice and quiet out there now.

gotta go fillet a few...

rate  i  was  just  over  didn't  see  you   ...  that  black  looking  stuff  toward  the   gazibo  is  about  2  inches !!!!    and  my  leg  went  threw  behind  the  school  becareful  out  there  buddy 
i  was  there  at  6:30  looking  i musta  just missed  you

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:31 PM »
rate  i  was  just  over  didn't  see  you   ...  that  black  looking  stuff  toward  the   gazibo  is  about  2  inches !!!!    and  my  leg  went  threw  behind  the  school  becareful  out  there  buddy 
i  was  there  at  6:30  looking  i musta  just missed  you
i came off just after dark..with the wind blowing my rig out in front of me the whole walk back! Launched at the willow tree...it's as good as any other ice i was on today, and better than south sandy!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:43 PM »
just  be  careful  bro  ...ain't  fished  with you in a  long  time  ....i  tried  behind  the  school  for  some  gils  close  to the  sunkin island  and  stumps  i  got a  wet  leg  don't think it was a  old  hole  either  !  gills  are there  but i ain't  going back out....now  i got  blue  algae  all over  my  boot   :( 

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Yeah I drove by the lake this afternoon around 4. Looked a little too sketchy for me to go out on alone...Been dyin to get out there though
It'll eat.

Offline milkman08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:46 PM »
there has been a lot of the farming for a cleaner lake. I personally have been involved in it and with the that amount of farms left in the watershed I highly doubt that they are having a huge negative affect.  The issue at hand is that when one thing is said and no one wants to thoroughly investigate it then there are doubters. Maybe it is just because people see the lake and in turn thin of Fulton and pool it all into one God forsaken town that everyday people struggle to make a living in while our immediate businesses close everyday. As far as us paying the highest tax rate, look at your assessment. Your 100,000 dollar house in Fulton would be a 250,000 dollar house in Lafayette. How much are they paying?

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:59 PM »
I drove by the school and down to the pier just after sunset. It looked wicked spooky near shore. A big jump to get on the ice, then crappy lookin thin white ice...fortunately it's pretty shallow for 30yds. 

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:06 PM »
im at my gf house nxt to birds eye and the wind is nasty as all hell. wabted to hit the lake in the am but i guess not be careful guys

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Guess I'll be on some docks today Trap. The wind is gonna screw things up again. Wish it would make up it's mind to either be winter or spring :-\

RG

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:47 AM »
theres  a  time  when common sence  has  to kick in ,im fishing  standing on solid  ground  today  guys

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:06 AM »
boogy  the  reason  why  swimming  is  not  allowed   now  isn't  just  algae  it's   the  insurance  cost  ,liablity , and  extra  man  power  involved  ....  no  swiming  but  water sking  and  jet  sking  are allowed ,the  state  does  not  have  neatawanta  on  a  watch  or  list  at all go  and  enjoy  it  .....i  do

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:22 AM »
I love that lake...spent everyday after school down there. Now every spring I spend the first few days going around the perimeter of the lake collecting garbage and loading the front of my boat with it...it really upsets me :-\
It'll eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.