New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Neatahwanta  (Read 14099 times)

Offline newbie03

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Neatahwanta
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Just started ice fishing. Anyone still fishing this lake in Fulton? I live a few miles away and would convenient place to take the kids.

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Neatahwanta
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:09 AM »
I have not seen anybody out there this year but that is not to say that they havent been. It is a shallow lake that in years past has produced decent panfish. I have not heard anything about the lake this year.  There are some guys on here that live right around there that may be able to offer their opinion.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:32 AM »
newbi  pm me  a  phone  number  i may have  fished it a  time  or  2  and will hook ya  up......  don't  ask  catch  he only  plays a  guitar  and  he  does  that out of  tune!!!!!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Haha oh boy here we go...I honestly seen a guy out there a few days ago fishing about 100 yds off shore.... thought that was odd....I checked the ice before all this warmer weather came. There was about 5 inches 100 yds off shore, the majority of it being white ice. I have not checked it since the rain and stuff though....if it was me I wouldnt be walking across to the other side or anything...
It'll eat.

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I knew youd respond to this one Chief, why is this lake not fished more? If you are still headed to the pond let me know, I may meet you there

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Well most people are afraid to eat the fish out of the lake because of the "blue green algae". I have eaten fish out of this lake all of my life and I am normal, although many of the people on this website would beg to differ ;) ::) In my opinion its just a heavy algae bloom because of the lack of a moving water to the lake and the clogged springs...everybody says to dredge the lake, but in my opinion if they just located and staked the springs open and got rid of the dams on the feeder creeks its would clean itself out naturally. Although it would still have an algae bloom because it is such a shallow lake. It is one of my favorite places to fish early in the year and it is convenient because it is right down the road from me :)
It'll eat.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Well most people are afraid to eat the fish out of the lake because of the "blue green algae". I have eaten fish out of this lake all of my life and I am normal, although many of the people on this website would beg to differ ;) ::) In my opinion its just a heavy algae bloom because of the lack of a moving water to the lake and the clogged springs...everybody says to dredge the lake, but in my opinion if they just located and staked the springs open and got rid of the dams on the feeder creeks its would clean itself out naturally. Although it would still have an algae bloom because it is such a shallow lake. It is one of my favorite places to fish early in the year and it is convenient because it is right down the road from me :)
ya i beg to differ on this :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :whistle: :woot: :afro:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:14 PM »
yeah HT i figured youd be one of the guys who thought that way
It'll eat.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:25 PM »

He's only mad because you hit him in the head with a stink log  ;D

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM »
yeah HT i figured youd be one of the guys who thought that way
i wil not eat anything out of that lake bro :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline milkman08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM »
catchemall shoot me a pm

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:27 PM »
wait  a  minute  ...lets  get  this  stright  ... blue  algae was  NEVER  CONFIRMED  IN LAKE NEATAHWANTA!!!!  it  was   100%  CONFIRMED  IN ONIEDA LAKE  !!!!

http://www.examiner.com/pet-health-in-utica/oneida-lake-toxic-blue-green-algae-bloom-confirmed

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 PM »
I knew youd respond to this one Chief, why is this lake not fished more? If you are still headed to the pond let me know, I may meet you there

ryan  simple  we  can't  sell  crappies  any more 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:32 PM »
and  catch  your  actually  wrong   tannery  creek  was   dug  deeper  years  ago  to  drain  the  lake  down  so  they  could  farm  the  rich  muck  ....look  at  the  bank  behind  the  high  school  and  war  memoral    that was  the  lake  shore  many  years  ago! 

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:46 PM »
newbi  pm me  a  phone  number  i may have  fished it a  time  or  2  and will hook ya  up......  don't  ask  catch  he only  plays a  guitar  and  he  does  that out of  tune!!!!!
that's not right trapper, I asked you about this lake a while back!!! ;) :nono: and i sent you my number back in September and I got no response to go yaking in the river. Thanks ;) :unsure:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:51 PM »
sorry  lastcast  afraid  i never  got it!  your  more then welcome  to  hook up  sometime

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:26 PM »
It still seems like it would be a fun lake to fish, some odd species in there as well.  Wish i knew a local who could set me up but I think Chief will keep all the secrets so he can keep feasting on all those algae crappie!

Offline timothymills2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I fished that lake  20years ago and slammed big bluegill and crappie out of it.It would be great to fish it again.I can just about see it from my front door.Haven't seen any fishermen on it but i did see a snowmobile and aguy with a parachute and a snow bord.It is a long walk to the otherside to where the channel is.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:49 PM »

No one thinks you're not normal, for a wooden pickle...... :P :P :P

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:01 PM »
It still seems like it would be a fun lake to fish, some odd species in there as well.  Wish i knew a local who could set me up but I think Chief will keep all the secrets so he can keep feasting on all those algae crappie!

no  secret  walk toward  the radio  tower  3/4  way  across  hit  10  to 12 foot yer there  ...crappies are  night  biters there  period!

Offline liveforfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:23 PM »
grew up n fulton all my life n grew up on that lake like so many others. It was nothn to see twenty boats out there with people swimn at the been defunct stevensons beach, people campn at northbay consistently. Ive seen 9 lb bass come out of there n heard stories of larger ones yrs ago. Don't know if i would eat fish from there now until i had more info. Ive done some research on the lake back in college by taking water samples through the ice n examining them. Def found cyano bact n that was before all the !@#$%&? went down with the dead dog. It def holds good fish! Live on phillips n canoe to it daily n the spring lots of wildlife too!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:01 PM »
the  dog  never  died !  the   blue algae  was  never  confirmed  (  you  can  check  with  the  dec)  water  samples  have  never  shown  any  unusual  bactria  that  is  not  comman  to  any  eutrophic lake  no  high  chemical  contams  have  ever  been  found  either...no  industral pollution ....  the  lake  is  shallow  fertial  and  weed  and  algae  growth  are  going  to  happen  !!!!!  again  the  only  confirmed   blue  algae  in  central  new  york  that i know  off  was on onieda  lake  ...  the  dog  was  checked by  a  vet  and  the  birds  were  blieved killed  by  someone  poisioning them  ....as  you  can see the  goose  population seems  fine  along with the  commorants  and  a  9  lb   bass    might  be  stretching  it  abit 

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:23 PM »
the  dog  never  died !  the   blue algae  was  never  confirmed  (  you  can  check  with  the  dec)  water  samples  have  never  shown  any  unusual  bactria  that  is  not  comman  to  any  eutrophic lake  no  high  chemical  contams  have  ever  been  found  either...no  industral pollution ....  the  lake  is  shallow  fertial  and  weed  and  algae  growth  are  going  to  happen  !!!!!  again  the  only  confirmed   blue  algae  in  central  new  york  that i know  off  was on onieda  lake  ...  the  dog  was  checked by  a  vet  and  the  birds  were  blieved killed  by  someone  poisioning them  ....as  you  can see the  goose  population seems  fine  along with the  commorants  and  a  9  lb   bass    might  be  stretching  it  abit

X2 dog never died because of the lake water
It'll eat.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:25 PM »
ryan  simple  we  can't  sell  crappies  any more

EXACTLY. Cant sell crappies anymore. Ive got my eyes on one guy that fishes over there in the spring...Seems to be taking more than his limit, although I cant confirm this for sure. DEC will be getting a call this spring if I see something that makes me feel that way again
It'll eat.

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 PM »
theres some huge pike ovr there too . thats if u can get em to bite. my buddy pulled one out a few springs ago it must been about 40" or so

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I saw that one of Fulton's Finest had pushed a shopping cart out on the ice the other day

Offline timothymills2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:34 PM »
With all this talk about Lake Neatahwanta i think if i do poorly on sandy pond tommorrow i'll hit it just for the fun of it.I live right on west third st,i could walk to if i wanted!!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:37 PM »
If you do be careful. Drill your way out. I havent really put a hurting on the crappies in the day time there, not to say i havent caught them during the day there.
It'll eat.

Offline basslover96

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:38 PM »
The ice doesnt really look that good over there... when i was in school friday the shorline looked open... maybe it was black ice but idk i feel the warm temps havent been good for it

Offline liveforfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 PM »
blue green alge blooms have happened before there, every summer, n ive seen m in winter there. when u drill a hole n what looks like green scum will come up just like drilln in shallow weeds. Dr Boty the dentist was on a commity about the lake in the nineties n helped us with some of our research for our project. We also found inverts that our prof said she had only seen one other time in a dirty lake. Trust me i wish that lake was back to at least what it was in the mid eighties not believing that it could ever get to what it was in the fifties n sixties. Like i said i grew up on that lake n the nine pounder i witnessed n have n old polaroid. Before my dad caught him he lost one that was prob just as big. Summer of '87 driftn along the weed edge tween 'bullhead' n north bay, on our way back so he could get to a softball game. Thrown a two inch hammer pounded gold spoon into the pockets on the edge that pertrude in a foot or so... he would let it sink n as weve all experienced they would nail it on the downfall. that one i saw , plus they used to shock it n they came across a 14 lber one year. Theyre in there don't believe it if u don't want. But i wish that lake would come back, most communities dont have a resource like that, it could be a big benifit if the city would invest some money into cleaning it up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.