New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: iPhone/smartphone MUST have app  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Re: iPhone/smartphone MUST have app
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:48 AM »
 "don't forget to teach the next generation how to survive without them."

Well Bcons, I sure hope it's not too late to try and do this.  These kids as a group are becoming such lemmings it's really sad to see.  This is the first generation of Americans that are so unbelievably vulnerable.  Want to throw them into chaos?  Turn the power off for an hour.  You're right.  "Tech"nology has almost completely replaced "Tech"nique.  Very sad indeed.  I see them all day long.

Anyway, reading some of these posts makes me more resolute not to rely on these devices to guide me home in a tough situation.  These "apps" are not built from the ground up.  They are simply one company's way of keeping up with their competitors.  Nothing more.  I'm not putting my butt on the line with these toys.

Grady

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:30 PM »
For all the scrooges or whatever you are, I, nor did anyone say this $10 app would be dependable for getting out of a white out. It simple to help find depths or rises or underwater islands, of course someone would take it to the next level to bash something. It's friggin ten dollars! Spend 300$ on a GPS it better float and be something you can rely on.
 When people fish, they usually have their phone with them. I want to try a different spot, let's check my app real quick , away from any holes I could drop it in, like anyone with a brain would. Simple, easy and fun. Go b**** about something else. Rarrr.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:59 PM »
OOPS!!  Hey TC, sorry if you took offense at my cell phone rant.  It was definitely not directed at you personally.  Cell phones are a really thorny topic with me and I guess I got carried away.
Sorry again!  I meant no disrespect.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:14 PM »
OOPS!!  Hey TC, sorry if you took offense at my cell phone rant.  It was definitely not directed at you personally.  Cell phones are a really thorny topic with me and I guess I got carried away.
Sorry again!  I meant no disrespect.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

No problem, I also mean no disrespect, sorry if I carried on to much. I just wanted to let people know about this, I thought it was cool, cheap, and easy to use.

Offline Shirts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Might be a stupid question, but is this app supposed to give you the bathymetric maps on the lake?  I just downloaded the app to my iPhone 4 and all the lakes I see don't seem to be supported here in Saskatchewan... I have free maps that come with the phone that are every bit as good as the Navionics.  If none of the lakes are supported up here, worst $14.99 I have EVER spent on an app for my phone.

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Might be a stupid question, but is this app supposed to give you the bathymetric maps on the lake?  I just downloaded the app to my iPhone 4 and all the lakes I see don't seem to be supported here in Saskatchewan... I have free maps that come with the phone that are every bit as good as the Navionics.  If none of the lakes are supported up here, worst $14.99 I have EVER spent on an app for my phone.
In the settings you should be able to switch the view, there is a navionics tech support person that has commented on this thread, I think his name is chris, if you have the iPhone4 it should work fine.

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:17 AM »

I am downloading the saskatchewan area now on my app.  I did see some lakes on what I downloaded so far.  We do have a comprehensive Saskatchewan lake list at the Navionics website with roughly 75 new lakes added.  If the lake is on our site, it is on our app. If you can, please find a lake you are familiar with in SK and double check our list.  If you continue to have issues on pulling up lake bathy, then please let us know. 

Someone asked about the app prices/differences.  the 9.99 app was an earlier app.  The 14.99 covers all of the US and all of Canada that we have lake or marine data for.  Plus, the 14.99 offers  wind forecasts and the new UGC layer.

Also please know, I leave tomorrow afternoon for an event and will not see this board till Monday.  If you have any questions,  always feel free to contact customer service.

Thanks

Chris Gatley
Northeast US & Canada Sales Manager

Offline Shirts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply Chris.
I ended up turning off the Wi-Fi on my phone, and the download went quick and easy.  Access to a bunch of different lakes now, although a few of the lakes I grew up fishing on aren't on there. :(
All in all though, the app works like a charm now that I know I have to use 3G instead of Wi-Fi to download... any suggestions?  Not worried about using up data charges, just seems it would be more convenient.
Thanks again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.