New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: iPhone/smartphone MUST have app  (Read 2317 times)

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
iPhone/smartphone MUST have app
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:17 AM »

I purchased this app last year, and use it everytime I go out on any lake. Its called Navionics.  This app shows boat launches, topo of the lake, with depths. Very detailed. You also can get your GPS cordinants of you location, where your are exactly within feet of your position on lake. This helps so much to the technology savvy person. Check out the website, it will be worth it if you have a smart phone.

iPhone cost $10 with zero flaws
Other phones I don't know how well it works so read reviews or follow post of others downloads

Enjoy!

Offline Since

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: iPhone/smartphone MUST have app
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I bought both the Eastern Lakes and the Great Lakes maps for my Droid. Work well, slight bug with the Eastern Lakes version, won't show depths on the contour lines when map overlay turned on. They say it will be fixed in the next version. Haven't had them on the ice yet but look as if they will a very useful addition. With the GPS features of the Droid can mark waypoints and tracks, good stuff. Just wish the Droid came in a ruggedized version! They each cost me $13. thru the Droid marketplace.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Thanks for the tip, TC.  I just bought that app for my samsung galaxy smartphone and it works great.  I can't wait to use it to record my catches and locations on the water.  Really neat.

Since- I don't see depths on mine either when the overlay is on.  I hope they fix that.

This program cost me thirteen bucks.  I think I paid more for my NYS Topo map book.

Thanks again for the tip, TC!

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:44 PM »
That all sounds great! I would be thrilled if my Verizon phone would say any thing but "Searching for Signal" here in the Catskills! :o

Just don't come down this way thinking you're going to get any of that Squit! We still can't hear you now!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:20 PM »
i checked the site and they dont list my cell... its a lg allie but its running droid software?

Offline Since

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:29 PM »
call Navionics, I have spoken with themseveral times and they are very helpful.

Offline The Rev. Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:49 PM »
There are a few for Android that I have seen, dose anybody know how they work? I am cheap and don't want to waste money. I tried some free trial ones but nothing I would be willing to pay for, but I will buy a good one.
I fish and drink and fish and drink and fish and drink and fight, and if I see a pretty girl I might sleep with her tonite!

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:46 PM »
go through there questions and answers and it makes me nervous.... if you wanna update you have to buy it again... if you change cells you have to buy it again..if you drop your cell in the water or ruin it someway you have to buy it again... you get one download and thats it...

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:02 PM »

go through there questions and answers and it makes me nervous.... if you wanna update you have to buy it again... if you change cells you have to buy it again..if you drop your cell in the water or ruin it someway you have to buy it again... you get one download and thats it...

Hi wnystxguy!

Yeah, but it's about the same price as a good map and you can lose a map or it can get hot chocolate spilled on it or it can become outdated, blow away in the wind, catch fire, etc...

I think it will be worth the $13 that I paid for it, but I haven't used it in the field yet.  So far though, I think it's cool and I am sure I will like it.  I will come back and post my findings once I get a chance to dink with it on the water.

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I'm not saying I'm against it but most of smart phones aren't real durable..I'm horrible with mine and would hate to have to spend $13 again to have the same program...if you have a iphone you can save the file but if u have the droid your SOL....my fish map book is laminated so spill away..

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Hey Guys-

Thank you for your support.  I am working on the layer issue that woodroce discussed.  If any of your are heading to Whitney Point next week, I will have the apps and delorme PN 40 operational on the ice for you all to check out.  Hope to see you there.   

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:40 PM »
They need to make a flasher app with a usb tranducer... ;D

adam2000

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:17 PM »
does blackberry have this app or just iphone and droid

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:17 PM »
They need to make a flasher app with a usb tranducer... ;D
Wouldn't that just be something else

Offline mr jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:57 AM »
does anyone know if this works on sodus bay

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Yep my app on my I4 has a good Sodus map

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I have the samsung captivate smartphone with at&t and on the apps. market I downloaded earthnc lite for free.
It has topo maps that give you the depth charts of any lake or river, and also you can drop a pin and save your location and then when you go back to your fishing spot bring up your saved location and click on guide to waypoint and it will bring you right to your spot, best free app. I've found. Use it when I'm walleye fishing
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I just downloaded on my Droid Incredible...it is saying all sorts of things that I don't like. To enable this, location and third party access is allowed. I am not looking to be the first one to get a virus on my Not-So-Smart Phone ??? Any insight fellas/gals????????

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I just downloaded on my Droid Incredible...it is saying all sorts of things that I don't like. To enable this, location and third party access is allowed. I am not looking to be the first one to get a virus on my Not-So-Smart Phone ??? Any insight fellas/gals????????
what app did you install
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline mr jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:25 PM »
there are two different apps to buy one is 9.99 and the other is 14.99 do both of them cover sodus bay?

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:48 PM »
does blackberry have this app or just iphone and droid

Just checked and couldn't find it on BB app world.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Another question, is there a program from navionics that allows me to drop coordinates from my Hummingbird 898 on my boat to a handheld or my computer?  The literature that came with my chip is not very clear on this.  I would like to print the maps out off the computer and be able to look at them when I am not in the boat.  I would like to be able to put the coordinates from the chip to my handheld.

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Woodroec-

I just sent this link to my mobile department so they can look into your depth contour issues.

The transfer of waypoints is for the most part here.  Nav Planner 2 is a PC based system that allows you to place charts into a card reader, view maps, create routes, drop waypoints and transfer them to your unit.  We recently launched our PC app too which enables you to transfer points via your PC, smartphone and iPad.  Right now, only  the Raymarine E-wide can transfer your work through w wireless router.  However, it will hopefully come soon to Humminbird, lowrance and other units that Navionics is partnered with.

Hope that helps.  I will have the iPhone app, Delorem hand held and two ATV's rigged with plotters at the Almost Annual Crappie Derby.  Check it out if you plan on being there!

Capt. Chris Gatley
Navionics Sales Manager
Northeast US & Canada

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:14 PM »

Hi Chris, 

Thank you very much for the post.  I appreciate it.  I will be trying out Navionics tomorrow on the ice.  I absolutely love this technology and look forward to where its going.

I have to spend some time with it all and learn how to use it.  We'll see!  It's nice to know that you are here, Chris, in case I have questions.  And I know I will have questions!

Thanks again for taking the time to post here. 

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I'll be the techno-scrooge I guess. I have two I-phones in the bottom of Honeoye, one Blackberry Storm on the bottom next to my slip at Roy's and one candybar phone in Canandaigua so far.  Not bad huh?  Considering I get paid to use my hands, this is something of an embarrasment.  Back to the topic though, cell phones. 

I will not be downloading any apps to my current phone, the Android X.  Main reason is not my fascination with waterlogging them.  My real concern is how fast these things can kill a battery when you are running a GPS program.  By now, this is pretty common knowledge.  Having been in some whiteouts in my day makes me want to be sure the guidance equipment is not going to suddenly tell me to plug in the charger.
I use a handheld GPS that takes plain old batteries, can be linked to a computer and updated with whatever mapping you want, is rugged and made for outdoor use, and even floats.  Now that's the kind of technology I want to wrap my cold, wet, slippery fingers around in the middle of a frozen lake. 

Cell phones have lost their way IMHO.  They want you to practically imbed them in your cranium at this point.  This is a discussion about potentially lifesaving technology.  Consider the risk before adding one more "can't live without it" function to your phone.  Dead battery?  You're all done. ::) ::)
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I paid the 10 or so dollars for the app on a droid2 and cannot access great sacandaga lake or otsego. It does work semi well on oneida. Wish they were all 1 ft contours though.

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:12 AM »
I'll be the techno-scrooge I guess. I have two I-phones in the bottom of Honeoye, one Blackberry Storm on the bottom next to my slip at Roy's and one candybar phone in Canandaigua so far.  Not bad huh?  Considering I get paid to use my hands, this is something of an embarrasment.  Back to the topic though, cell phones. 

I will not be downloading any apps to my current phone, the Android X.  Main reason is not my fascination with waterlogging them.  My real concern is how fast these things can kill a battery when you are running a GPS program.  By now, this is pretty common knowledge.  Having been in some whiteouts in my day makes me want to be sure the guidance equipment is not going to suddenly tell me to plug in the charger.
I use a handheld GPS that takes plain old batteries, can be linked to a computer and updated with whatever mapping you want, is rugged and made for outdoor use, and even floats.  Now that's the kind of technology I want to wrap my cold, wet, slippery fingers around in the middle of a frozen lake. 

Cell phones have lost their way IMHO.  They want you to practically imbed them in your cranium at this point.  This is a discussion about potentially lifesaving technology.  Consider the risk before adding one more "can't live without it" function to your phone.  Dead battery?  You're all done. ::) ::)

Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Not every tool is right for every job or every person.  It is what ever works best for you.  I too fish with a DeLorme PN 40 hand held with batteries.  Lithium batteries because the hand held floats when I drop it (and I often do).  I use the iPhone as a planning tool and plus if I dropped my phone in the drink, my primary business phone is out for a few days.  I can't even tell you how many cell phones I lost in my livewell when I made my living as a charter captain for striped bass.  Never failed, go in to grab a live bunker and in goes the phone. dead as a door nail in the saltwater.

Sacandaga and Otsego are definately on the app.

No problem, Glad to help you out with questions.

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Be careful ordering right now. I did and the app doesn't work. Navionics response was "there are known issues with the latest update". No projection as to when it will be fixed. I hate buying something the seller knows does not work.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Also as a "techno-scrooge", I don't want a phone that I do anything with short of saying "hello, or goodbye".  Just personal opinion.  Then there's the next question, have any of you thought about the next generation of sportsman, our kids?  There are days I think they'd struggle to find their way around our yard without electronics.  The past couple years I've been trying to teach them old school, use of a compass, one day out in the woods even drawing the circle on the ground, putting a stick in the middle as a sundial/compass.  Their response? Why, isn't that what GPS is for?  This past summer  going to watch the fireworks by boat on Oneida, trying to teach them how to navigate at night.  Then my compromise was ok lets watch the miles traveled on the fishfinder, speed, & read the chart.  Again I was asked why? "We have GPS."  It often feels like teaching them how to do it without pushing a button or sliding a finger is more painful then putting my head in a vise while systematically smashing my fingers one by one with a hammer.  While yes, I like my electronics, and use them don't forget to teach the next generation how to survive without them.  App for this, App for that, cars that park themselves,  now I'm just waiting for the reminder app to inform you that it's time to take a leak.  :-\     

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Otsego and Sacandaga DO NOT show up on mine. Neither does Delta , Canadrago. Actually let me just say the ones I can see. Will be a much shorter list. I see Onieda, Onondaga, Cross, Ontario, Lake George. It doesnt even show a body of water where these lakes should be on the map. Thats about it. I have the USAEast on my Droid2. Its showing there are no updates for it as Ive had the App for about 2 wks. I will say my buddy with his Iphone does pick up a lot more of these lakes. Navionics emailed me today saying I needed the USAEAST version and not the USAEast marine version. It states it is the USAEAST Version 5.0 so I do have the right version for my area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.