New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!  (Read 11401 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!
« Reply #120 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Now after you guys are  done spouting off I guess you didn't understand the post. Try fishing all night with these jerks threatening your equipment,shelters and life! :%$#!: A stationary object cannot harm a sober considerate rider,plain and simple. Why do you think Dave Genz changed the original color for the fish traps from white to blue?Well guess what that didn't work either :%$#!:Now they have reflectors on them for ''targets'' for the  drunk snomoslobs. If I'm out there all alone I'm defenseless.People that ''own'' a lake are half drunk ,running 90mph for hunderds of miles and are evenually going to get ''owned''.

If the hole was 10 inches and the 2x4 was white it was probably mine.Try fishing at night all the time and see what happens. They( some sleds) are on a drunken mission to destroy shelters and equipment.I started using white 2x4s because I could ID those as my own, rather than unpainted ones or propane tanks. I had to switch to wood because the crude sled guys that ruined my equipment started complain when my ''sled deterants'' did their job.
Here's a couple of  my quotes,  Nov 18, 2003, 11:33 PM 
Started by Da_Roc,
''Were gettin pretty old to pull the stunts we use to. 4 TO 6 white painted cement blocks 10 to 20 yards out of the tent does the trick ''

Jan 13, 2008, 11:03 AM 
Started by prchslyr,
''I fish mostly at night and always mark my holes with white cement blocks so the sleds don't run in my 10''+ holes. ''

now this is what you want to defend???????????? and someone that shots a flair gun at a sailboat????? i think the danger is people like this.... it's uncalled for and everyone with any common sence knows it
                                                                                                                                                      trap

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #121 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:43 PM »
No apologies are necessary..
:)
Personally...I think everyone should "Watch their Bobber!"
;)

(or "Float" if.... in your part of the country they don't say "bobber"... ;) )
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:51 PM »
People really should be mindful of the next guy no matter what sport it may be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:39 PM »
where in my posts did i say I shot at anyone? and just a bit more info for you.
US Coast Guard
Inland steering and sailing rules rule # 18 responsabilities between vessels
A. a power driven vessel under way shall keep out of the way of:
 1. a vessel not under command
 2. a vessel limited in her ability to maneuver
 3. a vessel engaged in fishing, and
 4. a sailing vessel
B. a sailing vessel under way shall keep out of the way of:
 3. A VESSEL ENGAGED IN FISHING
C. A VESSEL ENGAGED IN FISHING SHALL TO THE BEST OF THIER ABILITY KEEP OUT OF THE WAY OF:
 1. AVESSEL NOT UNDER COMMAND, AND
 2. A VESSEL LIMITED IN HER ABILITY TO MANEUVER.

Where does it say a sailboat has the right of way to a vessel fishing? and read my posts a little closer, at no time did I condone the action of leaving debris on the ice for the intent of harming a person or machine so I'll repeat it for you again trapper, anyone who leaves obstacles on the ice for the purpose of harming someone should be held accountable just as unsafe riders should. You did'nt do too well in reading comprehension in school did you?

Offline dlizor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:46 PM »
irish i was on the sacandaga last year and hooked a sail boat. I saw the boat and it jibbed or jabbeb right across my lines i lost a nice rapala.  I wish i had something to fire at those self entitled but heads.  the name of the sailboat was  " friends" no lie.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #125 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:52 PM »
i hate it i have a shanty ohh in the middle of no where with a big lake to ride around and they ride less than 10 feet from my door step...c mon i wish there was a way to stop thees jerks.. any ideas???

Apparently you can stop them by putting a 2x4 in a hole... ::) ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I never fired anything, I simply gave him a choice to pay me for my $60 worth of equipment or pay for a much more expensive sail. once your lines hit the water people have to avoid you, not the other way around ,people who don't know or think they know the rules of the road should educate themselves before they run thier mouth, these same thoughts are what lead sailboaters to also feel entitled and untouchable on the water.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #127 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:00 PM »
They have no problem destroying our equipment, turnabout is fair play. We had a guy in a sailboat tear off 4 reef runners and 2 jet divers one year on Erie so we pulled along side took out the flare gun and told him he was gonna pay for 'em one way or another and we got our money on the spot, alot cheaper than a new sail

irish this is your orignal post i'd say that its condoning!!!! and you state you "took out the flair gun" us ccoast guard rules state  a sail boat under sail takes president over the water ways except a anchored ship!

They have no problem destroying our equipment, turnabout is fair play. <<<< this is condoning the activity

so we pulled along side took out the flare gun and told him he was gonna pay for 'em one way or another and we got our money on the spot, alot cheaper than a new sail <<<< this is a illegal act of threatening with a lethal weapon

trap

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #128 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:34 PM »
where in my posts did i say I shot at anyone? and just a bit more info for you.
US Coast Guard
Inland steering and sailing rules rule # 18 responsabilities between vessels
A. a power driven vessel under way shall keep out of the way of:
 3. a vessel engaged in fishing, and
 4. a sailing vessel
B. a sailing vessel under way shall keep out of the way of:
 3. A VESSEL ENGAGED IN FISHING
C. A VESSEL ENGAGED IN FISHING SHALL TO THE BEST OF THIER ABILITY KEEP OUT OF THE WAY OF:
 1. AVESSEL NOT UNDER COMMAND, AND
 2. A VESSEL LIMITED IN HER ABILITY TO MANEUVER.

Where does it say a sailboat has the right of way to a vessel fishing? and read my posts a little closer, at no time did I condone the action of leaving debris on the ice for the intent of harming a person or machine so I'll repeat it for you again trapper, anyone who leaves obstacles on the ice for the purpose of harming someone should be held accountable just as unsafe riders should. You did'nt do too well in reading comprehension in school did you?

on the next page!

In open water, a sailboat under sail alone has right of way over a power driven vessel. In traffic lanes, a narrow channel or a fairway (if you're not sure what or where these are, check on a NOAA navigational chart and a Coast Pilot for the area you plan to sail) a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing and any vessel less than 20 meters in length must not impede the progress of a vessel greater than 20 meters participating in the traffic system.

Two points unrelated to sailboats, but that are important to know when interacting with fishing boats. A vessel engaged in trawling, or other fishing other than trolling, has right of way over a power driven vessel (not a sailing vessel) if it is not in a traffic lane, narrow channel or fairway. A vessel engaged in trolling (dragging lines behind them, even long-liners) is not considered a fishing vessel so far as the Rules of the Road are concerned, it is simply a power driven vessel, and must yield right of way as such. Ski boats, similarly, are afforded no consideration above and beyond that of a power driven vessel.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #129 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:34 PM »
WOW, we really have covered some ground. We went from 2x4 in the ice ,to painted white cement blocks,
to guys pointing flare guns at sail boats, he11 we even got the US coast guard in on this.
Bottom line, please do not put dangerous objects on the ice it could kill someone.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #130 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:54 PM »
I read the irish jigger post & the trapper 2000 post responding to it....

When I read Irish jiggers post the first time, I thought about it & then moved down the page & read Trapper 2000's post.

My regrets irish jigger, but by your post & the summary provided by Trapper2000,....

He's right on this one.. The sailing vessel has right of way...

I'm not gonna argue the points of maritime law here.. You folks should do that in a different topic...

I still think that the person that was putting a 2x4 into a ice fishing hole, wasn't trying to cause grief to "sledders". The results aren't good for those on sleds & maybe,good for those who are not......

Next?
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline frozen nostrils

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:10 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would mark there spot with anything!  Your just signaling to others where your catching fish.  I mark my spots on my GPS as a way point then just drill a new hole when I go back.  That way no on get hurt and I still have my spot. 

Seems like there is a lack of common sense on both parts of people who mark there spots with what ever and the snowmobilers who don't respect one equipment.  Oh that's right our society has lost that.  Its always the other persons fault. 

I can't believe this thread went on this long!

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #132 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:29 PM »
A friend was riding across Canadarago with a group of snowmobilers Fri night and some idiot stuck a piece of 2X4 in a hole to mark it and the guy hit it head on and smashed the front all up on his sled , lucky no one was hurt or even killed! Use some common sense.

How does this snowmobiler even know if the 2x4 was indeed marking a fishing hole and was put there by an ice fisherman???? You know what the word "assume" means right :-\
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #133 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:34 PM »
trout is right bottom line please don't put things on the ice that can cause harm

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Just a few quick questions....
#1 - does anyone really think that a 10" hole would bother a snowmobile? I don't &
       I ride & fish.
#2 - You guys who do mark your holes with 2x4's and concrete blocks, do you
       ever take them off of the lake or do leave it there so it floats in the spring
       and becomes a floating hazard for us boaters also?

Just wondering .

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #135 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Just a few quick questions....
#1 - does anyone really think that a 10" hole would bother a snowmobile? I don't &
       I ride & fish.
#2 - You guys who do mark your holes with 2x4's and concrete blocks, do you
       ever take them off of the lake or do leave it there so it floats in the spring
       and becomes a floating hazard for us boaters also?

Just wondering .
I'm not siding with anyone but last time I checked concrete blocks don't float ;D ;D
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:35 PM »
TRAP, I THINK YOU KNOW THAT I COULD NOT SUPPORT ANY KIND OF INTENT TO HURT ANYONE WITH WHITE BLOCKS, WHITE BOARDS OR WHATEVER.  I BELIVE THIS TYPE OF PERSON WOULD BE A GOOD MARKER FOR A SPEARING HOLE BUT I'M AFRAID THEY WOULD JUST POLUTE THE LAKE.
YA' HAVE TO BE CARFULL ON THE POND SUMMER AND WINTER.  ONE OF THE LAKES I FISH WITH THE BOAT THERE ARE A LOT OF STUMPS AND A LOT OF THEM ARE SUBMERGED,,,I HAVE TO BE CAREFULL AND THATS NOT EASY WITH A BOAT.
YA' HAVE TO REMEMBER THE ICE IS JUST A FROZEN LAKE, NOT A FROZEN TRAIL.  THERE ARE PLACES WHERE THERE IS A TRAIL OVER A LAKE OR A RIVER AND PEOPLE KNOW OF THEM.    IF YOUR OFF A KNOWN TRAIL YA' HAVE TO BE CAREFULL,,EVEN MORE SO GOING THROUGH A KNOWN FISHING AREA.
YA' CAN'T ASSUME WE HAVE SOME SORT OF BIRTH-RITE TO GO RIDING OVER THE ICE AND THERE WILL NOT BE ANYTHING IN OUR PATH. 
REMEMBER, I'M NOT DEFENDING ANYONE'S BAD ACTIONS
I AM NOT SAYING ITS OK TO LEAVE ALL KINDS OF CRAP ALL OVER THE ICE,,,,I'M JUST SAYING LETS BE CARFULL OUT THERE,,,,crap HAPPENS!

RAYMAN54 :icefish:

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #137 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Seems like it might be about time to stick this whole thread down a hole... 

And leave it unmarked, so no one else will find it...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Seems like it might be about time to stick this whole thread down a hole... 

And leave it unmarked, so no one else will find it...

AMEN TO THAT
Time to put this baby to bed, the horse is dead!

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #139 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Time to put this baby to bed, the horse is dead!

The horse was dead a week ago... 

Only trouble is, someone buried the horse on a lake and marked the grave with wall studs or something...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:03 PM »
white 4x4 anyone?  ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.