New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!  (Read 11400 times)

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I just don't get marking holes to start with. We fish big lakes(14 miles), and I can take you to most everyplace I had a hole last year. If you start from the same place and head the same direction you should be able to see land marks to get you to the same place every time.
Same as finding your stand spot in the woods in my opinion.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:07 PM »
raymond this actually occured on a lake in new york! we don't spear pike here if you read the thread you will see that  the words "own"the snowmobiler actually appear! were not talking making a large hole that someone could fall in were talking about someone set white 2x4's out with the sole purpose to hurt a snowmobiler,not to mark a dangerous hole or bad ice!!!!the person it happened too was a fellow ice fisherman the 2x4's were unattended !!!! read the whole thread "GET IT" this really isn't even funny
                                                                                                                                trap

TARPPER I HAVE READ THIS THREAD SINCE IT STARTED AND THE VERY FIRST POST DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE 2X BEING PAINTED WHITE OR THAT IT WAS PUT OUT WITH INTENT TO DO HARM, THAT WAS SOMEONE ELSE LATER IN THE THREAD THAT THINKS THIS IS A JOKE.
SINCE WE CAN SPEAR PIKE AND STEARGON HERE I'M TALKING A LARGE HOLE.
I HAVE CONTACTED THE MICHIGAN DNR TO HEAR WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS,  THEY WOULD RATHER IT IS NOT MAN MADE MATERIALS USED BUT BRANCHES OR SMALL BLOW-DOWNS. IN SOME CASES THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE I.E. YOUR ON A LAKE WITH PRIVATE PROPERTY AROUND THE WHOLE SHORE LINE YA' CAN'T GO IN SOMEONES YARD AND START JERKING OUT BRANCHES FROM THEIR TREES OR BUSHES.  THE DNR DID SAY IF ALL YA' HAVE IS A 2X4 BY ALL MEANS USE IT, "DO NOT" LEAVE IT UNMARKED.
I DID ASK THE DNR ABOUT BEING LIABLE IF SOMEONE WOULD HIT WHAT I HAD USED AND DID GET HURT AND I WAS TOLD THAT IF IT WAS OBVIOUS I HAD NO INTENT OF PUTTING OUT A HAZZARD THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM A RIDER MUST MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THEIR MACHINE.
NO THIS IS NOT FUNNY AND I'M NOT LAUGHING OVER HERE PAL.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:21 PM »
raymond i'm not yelling at you! nor do i think you are the type of person to do anything to harm anyone! no if you think that i apoligize!!!!! it was the person that set the 2x4's then said oh if they where white they were mine!!!! and the way "own" was used was in a way that ment harm a sledder, if there is a large hole yes mark it but we can't spear here! the comments made of i set them and if a sled hits one it's there fault and comments i paint them white and "own" are very serious in nature

trap

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #93 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:32 PM »
raymond i'm not yelling at you! nor do i think you are the type of person to do anything to harm anyone! no if you think that i apoligize!!!!! it was the person that set the 2x4's then said oh if they where white they were mine!!!! and the way "own" was used was in a way that ment harm a sledder, if there is a large hole yes mark it but we can't spear here! the comments made of i set them and if a sled hits one it's there fault and comments i paint them white and "own" are very serious in nature

trap
    Well said trapper!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #94 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:50 PM »
troutguy1377,
     I am definitely watching this topic...Quite the "read"......LOL

HIya's from Minnesota....
;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #95 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:57 PM »
troutguy1377,
     I am definitely watching this topic...Quite the "read"......LOL

HIya's from Minnesota....
;)

I was waiting to here from ya, It is interesting to see the views of people.I wonder if this one will go
to the GRUMPY!!! HAHA

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I don't want to comment yet... ;)

This has been an interesting topic ... & only 2-1/2 days no less...

I'll "be around....
:D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #97 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Allright guys, if you have read this whole thread you know where I stand on the issue
of things on the ice to hit and here is why. In 1999 my brother was riding on the sacandaga with some friends
and family when his ski hit a mound of frozen snow, he was thrown from his sled and in the confusion
was hit by another rider in the group. His neck was broke and he died on the lake that night.
     So I might be a little outspoken on this subject, but to the people that bring things out
on the ice to mark holes please remember a tip up is replaceable and not worth something like this
happening. So if you have machines going to fast please call the authorities instead of trying to "OWN"
a rider.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:26 PM »
i am sorry trout a young man i know and a very good kid 18 from oswego was killed on a snowmobile he was a great kid a good hunter and fisherman and the world is less without him in it.... it's no joke don't be stupid and leave stuff to cause a accident ask dannys mom!
                                                                                                                                       trap

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:02 PM »
The key here is that we are in NY!

In NY at a minimal you can be fined , I beleive it is up to $500 now (was $200) for leaving trash (propane cylinders) on the ice.

In NY you are liable for placing obstructions like 2x4's and cinder blocks that cause destruction or injury on public domains. Which means not only can you be sued, but could face jail time depending on severity of accident you cause.

Some people want to site navigational rules of boats. But you choose to leave out the fact that in NY you have to have the anchor light on while standing still and fishing.

I live on a lake and fish at night for walleyes all the time. My shanty's all have reflective tape, I have a light on where I am sitting and a lantern at the far side of my tip up layout. The main snomobile trail goes right across our lake, which means we have a ton of snomobile traffic. I've never had a problem. What really cracks me up are the ice fisherman who use the snomobile trail to walk on because the snow is too deep, then step five feet off it to set up. Then you meet up with them where your parked and all they do is blame the sleds for their lack of success or their loud noise.

In the end, not all snomobilers are jerks and not all ice fishermen are very bright.

People need to use common sense!

Jeff

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:59 PM »
There are no marked "trails" on open water and the rules state that you are to slow down when approaching a shack or shanty no matter where it is, which rarely happens at midnight or later when someone has to get home from the bar in a hurry to avoid a DWI. I would really like to see someone get a good enough description of a sled or rider in the dark at 70, 80 ,90+ mph that would ID someone well enough to report to law enforcement. I don't agree with trying to hurt someone randomly but I do belive in kicking the snot out of billigerant idiots when caught. Let's not forget this discussion started because of an accident caused in part by both parties the jerk who either did'nt think or tried to leave an obstruction and the guy who wasn't in control of his machine.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #101 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:05 PM »
the guy that was on sled was coming off from fishing!!!! he wasn't going fast thats why he's still with use! there was no shanty  or anyone near the 2x4 again how can anyone defend that kind of behavior????

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I'm not defending 2x4 guy, whoever left it is either a hazard or just stupid. However just like on the road if you are unable to avoid obstacles in your path you are traveling too fast for the conditions, it could have been anything out there natural or manmade. look at the poor guy who hit a pressure crack last year ended up in open water and managed to pull himself out and still ended up frozen in a nearby shanty whos fault was that? It is a shame but the blame belongs where it belongs. I lost a good friend to a motorcycle accident this summer he was decapitated with 2 small children left behind, its horrible but he made his choice and paid the price for it.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:39 PM »
There are no marked "trails" on open water and the rules state that you are to slow down when approaching a shack or shanty no matter where it is, which rarely happens at midnight or later when someone has to get home from the bar in a hurry to avoid a DWI. I would really like to see someone get a good enough description of a sled or rider in the dark at 70, 80 ,90+ mph that would ID someone well enough to report to law enforcement. I don't agree with trying to hurt someone randomly but I do belive in kicking the snot out of billigerant idiots when caught. Let's not forget this discussion started because of an accident caused in part by both parties the jerk who either did'nt think or tried to leave an obstruction and the guy who wasn't in control of his machine.

Here on Tuscarora the signs end right next to the road along the lake. The snomobiles go right from there right across to the resturant, they leave the other 98% of the lake for us fisherman. There are a couple tracks from fisherman and 1 guy who lives on the lake that are not on that trail, but I never see them buzzing anyone.

I guess we must have learned how to be reasonable and respectful human beings down here some how.

Jeff

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #104 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:43 PM »
 no a choice is to ride having someone  leave 2x4's 18 inches above the ice is stupity! ever been on a sled at night? snow storm? read the entire thread , like i said if it's a rainy night and i paint a block black set it in the road  are you going to fast when you hit it?

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #105 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:31 AM »
I'm not defending 2x4 guy, whoever left it is either a hazard or just stupid. However just like on the road if you are unable to avoid obstacles in your path you are traveling too fast for the conditions, it could have been anything out there natural or manmade. look at the poor guy who hit a pressure crack last year ended up in open water and managed to pull himself out and still ended up frozen in a nearby shanty whos fault was that? It is a shame but the blame belongs where it belongs. I lost a good friend to a motorcycle accident this summer he was decapitated with 2 small children left behind, its horrible but he made his choice and paid the price for it.

Are you hearing yourself!!!  So IJ everyone that hits a deer on the road is going to fast, everyone that hits a
pothole is going to fast.Come on use your head there was a snowstorm, the 2x4 was covered in snow
and the guy was going slow.We must not all have super human eyes like yourself, but I am pretty sure
that is not the case,you are just being thick headed. Some of you guys hate snowmobiles so much
that whatever they do is going to be wrong in your eyes. I hope you go back and read your post and realize
how ridiculous your statement about hitting something in the road sounds.

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #106 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:37 AM »
I believe if you hit a deer the insurance companies do consider it your fault. That's why you're not covered if you only have liability.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #107 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:41 AM »
I believe if you hit a deer the insurance companies do consider it your fault. That's why you're not covered if you only have liability.

Pretty sure you missed the point, SOME THINGS ARE UNAVOIDABLE no matter how you are driving!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:34 AM »
If he was traveling slow he wouldn't have destroyed his sled. If you slide off the raod in a snow storm and a trooper shows up it doesn't matter if you were doing 5 or 50 mph you will more than likely get a ticket for unsafe driving, I've seen it happen, and for the record I don't hate machines. I was on chautauqua saturday and was surrounded by them and anyone who moved through the fisherman did so safely and slowly the way it should be, many of them passed within 15 to 20 feet of me which doesn't bother me at all if it's done safely. Anyone who camoflages obstacles should be held accountable just like unsafe riders should. 20 or 30 mph isn't slow because you could be doing 60 the conditions dictate what speed you should be traveling.

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:25 AM »
wow...to see these threads evolve  use a bigger object next time to mark your hole....like a 4x4   maybe it will be seen a little better than the 2x4    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:51 AM »
first no the insurance company considers hitting a deer a act of nature! (act of god) it is covered by not liablity nor no fault but comperhesive.

second the point is NO ONE WAS THERE!!!! it was a act to hurt a snowmobiler!!!! it's illegal!!!! they drilled holes set 2x4's in them!!!! we even got a person on here bragging about painting them white and "owning" the sled, give me a break,now i been on this earth a few years and i do fish at night you set a light out and sleds stay away i have never had a problem
 if you can defend this act of terrorism(because thats what it is) then i guess the peta people can cut chains on tree stands  hey you should have looked before you fell!!! i guess they can toss a box of screws in our parking lot!!!! covered in snow  you backed up to fast you should have seen them!

the truth is your defending something that almost killed a fisherman,why i have no idea!!!! what happened was wrong dangerous and you guys giving the signal that this is acceptable behavior  to booby trap the ice because snowmobils are annoying i guess when he gets annoyed your on his lake and you step in a 3 foot hole or your kid does you should have been looking!!!! use your heads

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:20 AM »
A friend was riding across Canadarago with a group of snowmobilers Fri night and some idiot stuck a piece of 2X4 in a hole to mark it and the guy hit it head on and smashed the front all up on his sled , lucky no one was hurt or even killed! Use some common sense.
I brought back the Original Post so that everyone could read it again. I think some folks may have forgotten it, along the way ;)

First off, I am surprised at the "commotion" that this topic has started. After reading this topic several times I can say that there are some strong views about this subject.

From what we were told of originally....The good thing about the whole incident , was that it was a good thing that no-one was seriously hurt/killed.

I am a strong believer in marking Spearing holes. I almost went through an un-marked, snow covered one, while drilling holes to ice-fish a couple of years ago. I had some strong words for the SOB that left it that way also. But, I took the time to walk all the way back to the shoreline, about 200 yds. one way, to get a branch to put in the hole to mark it. I also took some surveyors orange tape ( I carry a roll for other ice-fishing uses) & tied it to the branches, so it would be highly visible. I did this for people & kids walking, & vehicles. In Minn. it is the law to mark these holes. The CO's actually take pictures of dark houses sometimes, to verify who was there spearing, so if an incident comes up that someone is hurt/or missing while in the area, they have a way of ID-ing the "scoff-law".

I also want to relate a situation , much like this one,  that happened to me about 5 years ago.. ( here is some "ammo" for those of you who may think "I" did the wrong thing after hearing about it.. BTW--- Tough crap.. I'd do it again.)

Leaving the local lake one night after icefishing with a friend in a snow storm. We followed a few vehicles back to the landing to get off the lake. They were in a hurry.... We didn't know them & we were about 250 yds behind in my pickup & traveling slow because of the blowing snow. They were in a hurry & moving faster than us. They apparently reached the landing & the first 2 vehicles went up, & they had made a wave under the ice that broke the ice at the shoreline, but the largest of them, a full-size pickup truck, seeing the ice breaking, gunned it & crossed the broken area & left the scene... Without marking the holes that the vehicles had made!  Here we are coming in from behind them going slow & because of "fate", we saw the "fogging" of the warm water thru the snow & stopped about 50 yds from the landing & area of broken ice. We were not happy about this, but we knew of more landings to exit the lake, but we couldn't leave this one without marking it for others who may not know what had happened. So, we got some logs & branches & marked the land & ice side of the broken area as best we could & then set off to the other landing to get off the lake.

Now, here's the "ammo", for any who want to "crab" aboutwhat we did...

We didn't have any surveyors tape at this time.(Another reason I carry it when icefishing, it's what got me started BTW) We left those logs & branches to keep anyone away! I know the logs got covered with snow before daylight. But there were branches sticking up. If some one came along this way in a car or truck,  didn't see the branches, &  hit one of the logs, They'd certainly stop & see what they hit & why those obstacles were there, & it would prevent them from going in the drink near the landing, & possibly save their lives. Same thing on the land side... If someone was to "fly" over these obstacles going fast... well, I guess that "fate" wasn't going well for them. Hopefully they'd be traveling fast enough to clear the water, & skip to shore, or vice-versa.
     SO, did we do the right thing?
    YES , we did. We weren't gonna stay there all night & flag folks...We did what we could in a blowing snowstorm. BTW..We also contacted the Sheriff Dept. & they cordoned it off later, but if someone had gone thru the obstacles without checking out why they were there..... Well I guess I would think that it natures way of "sorting out the gene pool". "Fate" once again...

But to get back to this topics' situation....

Now, if I understand right...that spearing is not allowed where this took place, so it was probably an ice-angler.Or, maybe a kid of an ice angler, who at the time, never took it into their mind that this would be a hazard to anyone. And possibly( it hasn't been said) that they used a 10" auger to make the hole, which they only marked while they were in the area, so no-one stepped into it. & then it could be that it was at night, they packed up to go home & forgot they left it there. Regardless, it was left there & it was plain old "fate" that the snowmobiler hit it.
       Things like this happen more often than it appears some of you folks may realize.
     For an example...Sometimes it's an old steel fence post that got bent over by some farm machinery in the fall during harvest & left to be fixed in the Spring. Some poor rider, comes along at what ever speed & catches it with the ski or the track & bad stuff happens... Can ya do any blaming here? The farmer didn't mean for it to be a hazard... It just happened that some body met up with some "fate", & it was bad.

So, if you look at it like that.. Just plain fate.... It may have been completely unintentional to cause harm, that the person that put it there & left it that way. Yes, it wasn't a good thing for a sled rider(no matter what speed), But maybe the person who did it was trying to keep others who were afoot, from being hurt. Which is a good thing.
    Now if the person who put this 2x4 there was intentionally trying to cause a problem for snowmobiles on the lake...  & That's hard to know for sure it seems.... But, I'm sure that if they were out to cause trouble, why didn't they put the thing right in the middle of a trail?  I don't know how big the lake is where this happened, but unless it was put on, or near a main trail, I don't think that it was set as a trap for sleds.
In my view...Thinking that it was done to harm...That's just conjecture...But, so is thinking it was unintentional...

So , basically, most of the arguments here have been based on a "what if", or "maybe"-type train of thought. Not to say that there isn't any good points being made, But...let's try to "stick to the facts"...not conjecture...

If you want to mark a hazard, try to do it well, so everyone can be aware of it. If you are trying to intentionally hurt someone... Remember that things have a way of coming around back at ya.."what goes around, comes around"<< Karma, i believe is what they call it.. ;)

Try to keep that in mind.

Sorry for my long-winded comment.. No-one forced ya into reading it... ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #112 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:28 AM »
very true mt however  we don't spear here!  and we do have a lot of sled traffic also it could have been just a stupid mistake  till one person said they paint the 2x4's white and sometime they would"own" the sled! this is a serious act and yes  some people have lost friends and loved ones because of stupidty like this, to make excuses and to defend this action is unacceptable! it is illegal to leave such things on the ice or to cause a accident!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Here's the persons' post you are speaking of....

crappieloo « Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:08 AM »

If the hole was 10 inches and the 2x4 was white it was probably mine.Try fishing at night all the time and see what happens. They( some sleds) are on a drunken mission to destroy shelters and equipment.I started using white 2x4s because I could ID those as my own, rather than unpainted ones or propane tanks. I had to switch to wood because the crude sled guys that ruined my equipment started complain when my ''sled deterants'' did their job.
Here's a couple of  my quotes,  Nov 18, 2003, 11:33 PM 
Started by Da_Roc,
''Were gettin pretty old to pull the stunts we use to. 4 TO 6 white painted cement blocks 10 to 20 yards out of the tent does the trick ''

Jan 13, 2008, 11:03 AM 
Started by prchslyr,
''I fish mostly at night and always mark my holes with white cement blocks so the sleds don't run in my 10''+ holes. ''

And...

« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:03 PM »     

Now after you guys are  done spouting off I guess you didn't understand the post. Try fishing all night with these jerks threatening your equipment,shelters and life! Cursing A stationary object cannot harm a sober considerate rider,plain and simple. Why do you think Dave Genz changed the original color for the fish traps from white to blue?Well guess what that didn't work either :%$#!:Now they have reflectors on them for ''targets'' for the  drunk snomoslobs. If I'm out there all alone I'm defenseless.People that ''own'' a lake are half drunk ,running 90mph for hunderds of miles and are evenually going to get ''owned''.

Yes, crappieloo is apparently telling everyone that it seems to be OK to do things like this, according to his/her posts & the quotes above.

Trapper2000, I happen to disagree with crappieloo also.

To do this type of action is illegal anywhere I can think of, in the USA. To deliberately set a "booby-trap", in order to maliciously injure/maim , or possibly kill someone isn't an acceptable method to address any public grievance.

There are better ways to handle conflicts between sleds & anglers... Some have been mentioned...Take a picture of the offender(s) & pass them on to the authorities...That works well, most of us carry a camera nowadays...
 Ever tried using an orange cone like the ones kids use to "slalom" around with their bikes & skateboards? Pretty inexpensive( even at the local Hardware.. around a $1.50.00 if I recall correctly), I use them myself, to keep others away from my tip-ups.
 Crappieloo , you may want to try some of these other options...( & remember that there are youngsters who come in here to read, also.)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #114 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:57 AM »
mnsportsmen i think we got off on the wrong foot and i apoligize and i wouldn't think you would agree

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #115 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:01 AM »
a glo stick on a tip up and a lite gas latern works well too again mnsportsmen sorry for the misunderstanding
                                                                                                                                    trap

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #116 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I brought back the Original Post so that everyone could read it again. I think some folks may have forgotten it, along the way ;)

First off, I am surprised at the "commotion" that this topic has started. After reading this topic several times I can say that there are some strong views about this subject.

From what we were told of originally....The good thing about the whole incident , was that it was a good thing that no-one was seriously hurt/killed.

I am a strong believer in marking Spearing holes. I almost went through an un-marked, snow covered one, while drilling holes to ice-fish a couple of years ago. I had some strong words for the SOB that left it that way also. But, I took the time to walk all the way back to the shoreline, about 200 yds. one way, to get a branch to put in the hole to mark it. I also took some surveyors orange tape ( I carry a roll for other ice-fishing uses) & tied it to the branches, so it would be highly visible. I did this for people & kids walking, & vehicles. In Minn. it is the law to mark these holes. The CO's actually take pictures of dark houses sometimes, to verify who was there spearing, so if an incident comes up that someone is hurt/or missing while in the area, they have a way of ID-ing the "scoff-law".

I also want to relate a situation , much like this one,  that happened to me about 5 years ago.. ( here is some "ammo" for those of you who may think "I" did the wrong thing after hearing about it.. BTW--- Tough crap.. I'd do it again.)

Leaving the local lake one night after icefishing with a friend in a snow storm. We followed a few vehicles back to the landing to get off the lake. They were in a hurry.... We didn't know them & we were about 250 yds behind in my pickup & traveling slow because of the blowing snow. They were in a hurry & moving faster than us. They apparently reached the landing & the first 2 vehicles went up, & they had made a wave under the ice that broke the ice at the shoreline, but the largest of them, a full-size pickup truck, seeing the ice breaking, gunned it & crossed the broken area & left the scene... Without marking the holes that the vehicles had made!  Here we are coming in from behind them going slow & because of "fate", we saw the "fogging" of the warm water thru the snow & stopped about 50 yds from the landing & area of broken ice. We were not happy about this, but we knew of more landings to exit the lake, but we couldn't leave this one without marking it for others who may not know what had happened. So, we got some logs & branches & marked the land & ice side of the broken area as best we could & then set off to the other landing to get off the lake.

Now, here's the "ammo", for any who want to "crab" aboutwhat we did...

We didn't have any surveyors tape at this time.(Another reason I carry it when icefishing, it's what got me started BTW) We left those logs & branches to keep anyone away! I know the logs got covered with snow before daylight. But there were branches sticking up. If some one came along this way in a car or truck,  didn't see the branches, &  hit one of the logs, They'd certainly stop & see what they hit & why those obstacles were there, & it would prevent them from going in the drink near the landing, & possibly save their lives. Same thing on the land side... If someone was to "fly" over these obstacles going fast... well, I guess that "fate" wasn't going well for them. Hopefully they'd be traveling fast enough to clear the water, & skip to shore, or vice-versa.
     SO, did we do the right thing?
    YES , we did. We weren't gonna stay there all night & flag folks...We did what we could in a blowing snowstorm. BTW..We also contacted the Sheriff Dept. & they cordoned it off later, but if someone had gone thru the obstacles without checking out why they were there..... Well I guess I would think that it natures way of "sorting out the gene pool". "Fate" once again...

But to get back to this topics' situation....

Now, if I understand right...that spearing is not allowed where this took place, so it was probably an ice-angler.Or, maybe a kid of an ice angler, who at the time, never took it into their mind that this would be a hazard to anyone. And possibly( it hasn't been said) that they used a 10" auger to make the hole, which they only marked while they were in the area, so no-one stepped into it. & then it could be that it was at night, they packed up to go home & forgot they left it there. Regardless, it was left there & it was plain old "fate" that the snowmobiler hit it.
       Things like this happen more often than it appears some of you folks may realize.
     For an example...Sometimes it's an old steel fence post that got bent over by some farm machinery in the fall during harvest & left to be fixed in the Spring. Some poor rider, comes along at what ever speed & catches it with the ski or the track & bad stuff happens... Can ya do any blaming here? The farmer didn't mean for it to be a hazard... It just happened that some body met up with some "fate", & it was bad.

So, if you look at it like that.. Just plain fate.... It may have been completely unintentional to cause harm, that the person that put it there & left it that way. Yes, it wasn't a good thing for a sled rider(no matter what speed), But maybe the person who did it was trying to keep others who were afoot, from being hurt. Which is a good thing.
    Now if the person who put this 2x4 there was intentionally trying to cause a problem for snowmobiles on the lake...  & That's hard to know for sure it seems.... But, I'm sure that if they were out to cause trouble, why didn't they put the thing right in the middle of a trail?  I don't know how big the lake is where this happened, but unless it was put on, or near a main trail, I don't think that it was set as a trap for sleds.
In my view...Thinking that it was done to harm...That's just conjecture...But, so is thinking it was unintentional...

So , basically, most of the arguments here have been based on a "what if", or "maybe"-type train of thought. Not to say that there isn't any good points being made, But...let's try to "stick to the facts"...not conjecture...

If you want to mark a hazard, try to do it well, so everyone can be aware of it. If you are trying to intentionally hurt someone... Remember that things have a way of coming around back at ya.."what goes around, comes around"<< Karma, i believe is what they call it.. ;)

Try to keep that in mind.

Sorry for my long-winded comment.. No-one forced ya into reading it... ;)

Hey Mn, I think you were absolutely right in what you did,then contacted the authorities. That was the proper
way to handle that situation. I did not forget the original post as a matter of fact I never commented on the subject
until crappieloo said that he and others were setting traps for snowmachines. As far as knowing if the 2x4 was
put there to cause damage we may never know? But maybe someone that uses them will read this and choose
to use something not so dangerous to mark a fishing hole.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #117 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:10 PM »
If he was traveling slow he wouldn't have destroyed his sled. If you slide off the raod in a snow storm and a trooper shows up it doesn't matter if you were doing 5 or 50 mph you will more than likely get a ticket for unsafe driving, I've seen it happen, and for the record I don't hate machines. I was on chautauqua saturday and was surrounded by them and anyone who moved through the fisherman did so safely and slowly the way it should be, many of them passed within 15 to 20 feet of me which doesn't bother me at all if it's done safely. Anyone who camoflages obstacles should be held accountable just like unsafe riders should. 20 or 30 mph isn't slow because you could be doing 60 the conditions dictate what speed you should be traveling.

In your previous post you said hitting an obstacle in the road, nothing about a snow storm? I dont think driving
in a snowstorm and hitting something in the road are comparable. Dont go back on what you wrote before
you know you were wrong because some things are unavoidable!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #118 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:01 PM »
They have no problem destroying our equipment, turnabout is fair play. We had a guy in a sailboat tear off 4 reef runners and 2 jet divers one year on Erie so we pulled along side took out the flare gun and told him he was gonna pay for 'em one way or another and we got our money on the spot, alot cheaper than a new sail.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #119 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:05 PM »
i see this irish and i wonder if you know a sailboat has the right of way on the water ???? a flair gun huh????this is excactly what were saying you don't do or take actions like that you shot a flare at me your going to jail for assult with a deadly weapon not to mention signallinga distruss without warrent!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.