New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:04 PM »
They have no problem destroying our equipment, turnabout is fair play. We had a guy in a sailboat tear off 4 reef runners and 2 jet divers one year on Erie so we pulled along side took out the flare gun and told him he was gonna pay for 'em one way or another and we got our money on the spot, alot cheaper than a new sail.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:11 PM »
are you guys insane?????? is risking someones life over a tip up worth it????  your on public property  not to mention the liability here!!!! how would you feel it some kid or a women hits that and gets hurt or killed???? over what a fishing hole???? now i fish oneida lake in new york which is snowmoble heaven and i would never consider doing that....
                                                                                                                                         trap

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I've got 2 answers to this problem, you shouldn't be marking your holes with things that could damage a snowmobile, its neglegent. BUT... for those who have had tip ups run over, NYS vehicle and traffic law says that snowmobiles and 4 wheelers must slow to a speed that only permits forward progress when within 100 feet of any shanty or person on the ice. keep a camera and take a picture of those flying through or past your set and submit it to your local ECO along with discriptions of the drivers clothes, helment color, ect. they can get the registration #'s from a photo and the owner will get multiple tickets, it may take a while for word to get around, but eventually things might slow down in the area. Most ECO's will be glad to write the ticket or at the very least go to the persons house and scare them a bit.

Offline Strike_Zone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Are you guys forgeting you are on PUBLIC property. You do not own the lake so why should you have a
right to mark a spot with something that could possibly kill someone. As far as painting something white it
sounds like you are intentionally trying to hurt someone or destroy someones machine. Have the guys
that paint things white ever heard of reflective tape or do you just like trying to hurt someone or
destroy a machine. ???

Troutguy 1377:

You're Right, nobody owns the lake. So why should the some  Sledders feel they have the right to drive their machines where ever and whenever they feel fit, with total disregard to or for anyone else. Maybe their mentality is to harass others, possibly destroying other people's equipment and/or endangering someones Else's well being.  I also believe,because of the actions of some Snowmobiles, Wheelers and Dirt Bikes on some State Property and private property is the reason they have lost the use of this Property.Thus for every action there is a reaction. Sometimes these reactions may seem extreme, but that's what can happen when people are disgruntled, because of the actions of others. Well it's time to go now and put some reflective tape on the dog, because he likes to go out on the lake at night. Also while I'm out on the lake next time I think I will have to somehow knock down the frozen snow banks the Kids made while shoveling off a space to skate. After all God only knows I don't want to endanger or interfere with someone on a machine.     
"Never Open a Can of Worms Unless You Plan to go Fishing".
    "If Ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people"?
  "Old Age is like Underware it Creeps up on You".
  "It is what it is" because "it aint what it is".
  "Some people do, some don't, some will and some won't". It's your call and only your call.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:06 PM »
I've got 2 answers to this problem, you shouldn't be marking your holes with things that could damage a snowmobile, its neglegent. BUT... for those who have had tip ups run over, NYS vehicle and traffic law says that snowmobiles and 4 wheelers must slow to a speed that only permits forward progress when within 100 feet of any shanty or person on the ice. keep a camera and take a picture of those flying through or past your set and submit it to your local ECO along with discriptions of the drivers clothes, helment color, ect. they can get the registration #'s from a photo and the owner will get multiple tickets, it may take a while for word to get around, but eventually things might slow down in the area. Most ECO's will be glad to write the ticket or at the very least go to the persons house and scare them a bit.

you sir are 100% right

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Now after you guys are  done spouting off I guess you didn't understand the post. Try fishing all night with these jerks threatening your equipment,shelters and life! :%$#!: A stationary object cannot harm a sober considerate rider,plain and simple. Why do you think Dave Genz changed the original color for the fish traps from white to blue?Well guess what that didn't work either :%$#!:Now they have reflectors on them for ''targets'' for the  drunk snomoslobs. If I'm out there all alone I'm defenseless.People that ''own'' a lake are half drunk ,running 90mph for hunderds of miles and are evenually going to get ''owned''.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I have had tip ups run over by the ice boats on sodus and almost  got taken out by snowmobiles in the dark ... lets face it ... if it goes fast the driver has no common sense... shift  machine  in gear put brain in park!!!!
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:12 PM »
well i have to tell you if you honestly though you were in that much danger you wouldn't be there!!!! so your story doesn't hold water ok.i'm sorry truth yes sleds have run over tip ups!!!! get there numbers is all you don't set booby traps  now grow up and i fish night all the time  in a snowmoble infested area never had a problem
                                                                                                                                   trap

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:13 PM »
 i tell my grandkids to use a flash night when walking!!!!! it's pretty sound advice

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Troutguy, fishman79 % Trapper2000- I agree 100% and that's what I was trying to get across. If the sleds are driving like buttmunches, get a description, call the ECO or the Police. There are still laws that snowmobilers have to obey when they are on the lake.

Irishjigger & Strikezone, hopefully I don't fish the same waters as you, I would hate to think I might "upset" you by towing my clam or possibly riding on the same piece of ice as you when I have the wife & kids out.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:42 PM »
TR thats right a snowmoble or  atv must slow down to just moving when in 100 yrds of a fisherman or shanty a quick call they get a ticket your fishing no one gets hurt! makes sence to me.if i felt that much in danger i wouldn't be risking my life for a fish! this is pure poop talk i'm sorry

trap

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:01 PM »
well i have to tell you if you honestly though you were in that much danger you wouldn't be there!!!! so your story doesn't hold water ok.i'm sorry truth yes sleds have run over tip ups!!!! get there numbers is all you don't set booby traps  now grow up and i fish night all the time  in a snowmoble infested area never had a problem
                                                                                                                                   trap
I have more of a right to fish than  they (careless ones) have a right to ride  drunk and excessive fast over my equipment with no regard to my life or limb. I'm not changing my paid for and legal pastime in for a bunch of slobs. When I'm alone fishing in a shelter in total darkness  there is no reason in the world for anyone to ride over my shanty or equipment. Most of you I would say 95% do not fish at night where sleds are so you don't know.Also some of you will defend the drunken speeding careless lawbreaker rather than the stationary object which would be the icefisherman. I remember 3 years ago one of ''them'' crashed into a BROWN dock post and his wife was unconscious laying on the ice. He left here there and went in a bar and continued drinking. She had to be Mercyflighted out. Guess what? He got arrested for drinking and neglecting his wife.
The dock post is still there on ''public property''.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:20 PM »
i do know ,i fish at night on onieda lake for walleyes and crappies your story is full of holes first your here which means you weren't run over second you don't fish in total darkness you use a latern your talk of setting 2x4's is not only foolishness but liablist.... and a snowmobile after registering insuring and trail fees also paid and it too is a legal activity. unless you have witnessed  the snow patrol giving them a breathalizer test you don't know if there drunk! now  one thing is for sure if someone hits your 2x4 your going to find fishing just got a lot more expensive after  being sued and court cost!!!! it's called common sence and i do believe setting delibrate navagation hazards is a hefty fine!

trap

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:34 PM »
   Troutguy 1377:

You're Right, nobody owns the lake. So why should the some  Sledders feel they have the right to drive their machines where ever and whenever they feel fit, with total disregard to or for anyone else. Maybe their mentality is to harass others, possibly destroying other people's equipment and/or endangering someones Else's well being.  I also believe,because of the actions of some Snowmobiles, Wheelers and Dirt Bikes on some State Property and private property is the reason they have lost the use of this Property.Thus for every action there is a reaction. Sometimes these reactions may seem extreme, but that's what can happen when people are disgruntled, because of the actions of others. Well it's time to go now and put some reflective tape on the dog, because he likes to go out on the lake at night. Also while I'm out on the lake next time I think I will have to somehow knock down the frozen snow banks the Kids made while shoveling off a space to skate. After all God only knows I don't want to endanger or interfere with someone on a machine.     

Hey SZ, read my post again did I say anything about snow banks? NO. I am talking about deliberately placing
an object to harm someone or there machines. Why would someone mark there tip ups with something white?
I will tell you why because they don't care if it gets hit they would rather lose there gear and hurt someone
or someones machine out of spite. Real mature, And as far as your sarcasm goes you can wrap that in reflective tape and stick that up your ARSE :-* :-* :P

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:47 PM »
troutguy what we have here is a few  people talking about deliberately setting 2x4's in the ice painting them white so sleds and atv's do hit them!!!!  i'd love to know what lake your doing this on i'd report you in a heartbeat before someone was hurt!

trap

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:58 PM »
i do know ,i fish at night on onieda lake for walleyes and crappies your story is full of holes first your here which means you weren't run over second you don't fish in total darkness you use a latern your talk of setting 2x4's is not only foolishness but liablist.... and a snowmobile after registering insuring and trail fees also paid and it too is a legal activity. unless you have witnessed  the snow patrol giving them a breathalizer test you don't know if there drunk! now  one thing is for sure if someone hits your 2x4 your going to find fishing just got a lot more expensive after  being sued and court cost!!!! it's called common sence and i do believe setting delibrate navagation hazards is a hefty fine!

trap

ITS your right to think I'm lieing.First ''hole'' I havent been ''run over''.I would have to ask the first poster on how a 6 or 8 inch piece of wood unattened could cause so much damage? Secondly ''hole'' its total darkness outside my shanty most of the time. If I use a lantern outside while I'm inside its just enough light to barely see my ups and downs.Sometimes we don't use lanterns outside the shelter.third ''hole'' your right I'm assuming they are .05 (impared or ''half drunk'') or .08 (drunk).Forth ''hole'' is the ''legal activity''. I don't know the law of how close they can come but if my stuff is 2 to 75 feet away from me and it get run over I dont think thats legal.I might be wrong.But where are the trail markers?
Trapper I'm not trying to be mean to anyone but I need my space. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

The sled in the first post must have hit a 4 foot 2x4 made from ash or maple.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:01 PM »
troutguy what we have here is a few  people talking about deliberately setting 2x4's in the ice painting them white so sleds and atv's do hit them!!!!  i'd love to know what lake your doing this on i'd report you in a heartbeat before someone was hurt!

trap
  BINGO!!! I would love to see these guys get in trouble for this.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:02 PM »
Deliberately painting a stationary item and placing it on the ice with the intent to do damage to a vehicle and  or  a person is nothing more than stupidity and asking to spend some time in jail when someone gets killed being impaled or thrown from a machine and killed .

Making a snow pile is way different than looking to injure someone .

Cell phones and emergency phone numbers are meant to be used for situations where you feel you are at risk , not construction materials .

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Holy crap! were did I say these guy's was speeding or running through tip-ups going crazy?They were not drinking nor driving reckless they was just going across the lake and the 2x4 was sticking up 18" mostly hid by snow so put away your torches and pitch forks. I use my snowmobile all the time to fish after dark and we dont need booby traps set on the ice, its hard enough to see in a snow storm getting home without wondering whats hiddin in the snow!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Deliberately painting a stationary item and placing it on the ice with the intent to do damage to a vehicle and  or  a person is nothing more than stupidity and asking to spend some time in jail when someone gets killed being impaled or thrown from a machine and killed .

Making a snow pile is way different than looking to injure someone .

Cell phones and emergency phone numbers are meant to be used for situations where you feel you are at risk , not construction materials .
Agreed, There is no intent to do damage by putting a 6 or 8 inch 2x4 in a 8 or 10 inch hole. The original post sled damage must have been a hugh 2x4 4 feet long sticking straight up.That would uncool.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Holy crap! were did I say these guy's was speeding or running through tip-ups going crazy?They were not drinking nor driving reckless they was just going across the lake and the 2x4 was sticking up 18" mostly hid by snow so put away your torches and pitch forks. I use my snowmobile all the time to fish after dark and we dont need booby traps set on the ice, its hard enough to see in a snow storm getting home without wondering whats hiddin in the snow!

Thanks.  18'' straight up is not cool.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:12 PM »

You are absolutly right.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:13 PM »
unbelievable a total lack of respect to humane life! it's amazing this is the exact reason land gets posted!!!! and i swear if someone gets hurt or a sled damaged i hope they run your ip number you are bragging your out to  hurt people!!!!! even bragging about painting the 2x4 white....
                                                                                                                                        trap

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Are you kidding? A 6 inch piece of wood laying almost flat half in a hole? Why would anyone  want to leave a 1 and 1/2 2x4 straight up?
I don't leave any stuff that will cause damage. And I don't brag about intentionally hurting anyone.

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Reflective tape is a wonderful invention, I put it on everything including the tip ups works great and the ATVs and Sleds know where me and my gear is in the dark. If you wanted to hurt someone stop messing around and carry a rifle in your jet sled. ;D

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Superx were talking about a small chunk of wood  laying almost flat on a angle not a ''spear'' sticking straight up. I have seen  unattened big branches and propane bottles in holes that were straight up too.That is plain stupid.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Agreed, There is no intent to do damage by putting a 6 or 8 inch 2x4 in a 8 or 10 inch hole. The original post sled damage must have been a hugh 2x4 4 feet long sticking straight up.That would uncool.

Crappieloo, what are you talking about? In a previous post you said you had to stop using "sled deturence"
because they did there "job" and then quoted guys using white cement blocks. Could you please explaine
the sudden change of heart??????????????????????????????

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Last time I checked I didn't own the lake and neither did anybody running a machine on it, we need to all get along.  Carry in carry out ring a bell.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:39 PM »
TR19, I would never set something out to intenionally hurt someone and you could ride 10 feet behind me as long as you were courteous and slowed down. I don't have a problem with sleds, I have a problem with people destroying my stuff and if someone does and I get my hands on them they will have a hard time pulling my size 15 boot out of their butt. Apparently the riders in that area finally pissed someone off enough they acted out and did'nt care who paid the price. The truth is he was riding too fast and paid the price it could of been anythig as stated before, a log, a pressure crack, anything and he still would have wrecked his machine because he couldn't stop or turn.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:43 PM »

Crappieloo, what are you talking about? In a previous post you said you had to stop using "sled deturence"
because they did there "job" and then quoted guys using white cement blocks. Could you please explaine
the sudden change of heart??????????????????????????????

Attended objects  close to my self and equipment. NOT leaving  dangerous stuff after leaving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.