The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Montana Ice Fishing Pics.  (Read 641594 times)

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Montana Ice Fishing Pics.
« Reply #1050 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:57 PM »
What part of Yellowtail were you fishing if you don't mind my asking?
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #1051 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Did some fishing in Wyoming last weekend.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1052 on: Feb 19, 2013, 01:55 AM »
Hell Creek

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1053 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:00 AM »
Hell Creek

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1054 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:51 PM »

my 3 year quest for icing a brookie is complete!! thanks to all for the imput. :)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #1055 on: Feb 20, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Nice pics everyone!
It was a little bright out Monday! @) The boys took the last four pictures... they seem to enjoy themselves

Offline bndhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1056 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Just a couple from my first ever Fort Peck Trip.

There will definitely be other future trips.

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Just a couple from the last few trips to Frances!
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I am insanely jealous of you Fort Peck fishers!  :thumbsup: Its not looking like I'll be able to make it up there this year  :'(

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Here's some more Peck pics.

We lost every single big pike because we decided to go the 30lb. flouro route instead of steel leader! I have 30 feet of 20lb. "Toothy Critter" on the way. That won't happen again.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:03 PM »
We lost every single big pike because we decided to go the 30lb. flouro route instead of steel leader! I have 30 feet of 20lb. "Toothy Critter" on the way. That won't happen again.

What kind of floro were you using? I have heard bad things about Berkley vanish leader material and pike but good things about 40lb Seaguar leader material and pike. Normally I use black nylon leaders in 60lb attached to 40lb braided spectra and have had no problem with anything breaking free ever but I have been thinking about doing the floro route this summer as I have seen pike spook at my leader with how clear the water was where I was fishing.

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:33 PM »
That's crazy you had such bad luck with the flouro, I have 20 lbs flouro on most my tip ups and 15 lbs on some that I have beads and blades on and last time we were at peck I think we only had 1 or 2 breaks and none of them were while we were bringing them in. 

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:53 PM »
my last trip to peck I was broke/bit off twice with 40 lb seagar fluoro leader.  should of just stuck to my titanium leaders  :-\

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I agree Henry....just got back from Ft. Peck this weekend.... i watched a pike cut my 40 lb fluoro..and another cut my buddies 50 lb fluoro...i still managed to catch a 15 lb fishy and several 10-11lb range but it's got me rethinking my strategy for sure.....ive heard of 80-100lb fluoro...i just love the transparency in clear water ..i hate to give that up for my steel and titanium leaders....i feel i might catch less fish..but who knows. Pike eat everything...im probably over thinking it.
PJB

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:50 PM »
my last trip to peck I was broke/bit off twice with 40 lb seagar fluoro leader.  should of just stuck to my titanium leaders  :-\

Malin Boa No-Kink Titanium Wire. The best there is for toothy critters. Might be ba tad expensive but worth every penny. Its the wire solution for those guys that are afraid of line shy fish because I think it disappears as well or better than mono. Not to mention that its a wire leader that can be tied, it stretches and its extremely difficult to kink. 40 LB test is the same diameter as 12LB mono. I will pay the extra because its tuff to put a price on the loss of a trophy Northern Pike or Walleye.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Earlier in the season, I was always running titanium and I caught plenty of eyes.  For some reason, that trip, I wanted to increase my odds of finally breaking 10lbs through the ice on a walley.  Didn't work out so well, I'd the walleye action was about the same and instead of landing every pike, I lost two that felt pretty hefty.  I did how ever land one pike pushing twenty and many 10+ on it. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Couple cell phone pics from my first ever trip to Delmoe Lake. Caught 11 cutthroats.

Sent via iPad2

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I hear you Henry but I have used that Malin Titanium for many years on Peck and I have caught one Walleye over 13 lbs, 2 over 12 lbs and a half dozen or more between 10 & 12, all on that Malin wire. I was concerned at first about using wire making my Walleye numbers decline but I cant say it ever has. Even if it has, I still catch enough big Walleye that I am willing to make the sacrifice  ;D. Besides, I am really targeting the Pike anyway. I can catch Walleye all day long in Wyoming. Quality Pike fisheries are far and few in between and in my opinion, nothing that equals Peck.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Look up at my post above.  Thats #130 dacron trolling line. Most of my other tip ups have #108 meat caster.  Ask me how many fish I catch up there and how many times I break off. The fish there in the winter are not line shy.  I do use steel leaders. I don't put 100yds of line on either.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:18 PM »
We were using Fireline Clear. I couldn't believe how easy they cut it! I had one friend that had the old school shiny silver steel leader and he caught his limit of walleye on Monday. It's a lesson learned. I hate losing those fish! :'(

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1070 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:23 AM »
I run 85' of 135 lb trolling line and I miss very few.  I'll be running titanium next week out there.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1071 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Look me up. I will be at Hell Creek from the 26th thru the 10th. Probably staying in the campground. Camo Dodge pickup. Hard to miss.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1072 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Camo is SUPPOSED to make someone hard to miss.  ;D

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1073 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Camo is SUPPOSED to make someone hard to miss.  ;D

I know. Its kind of an oxy moron but it does kinda stick out like a sore thumb. At least in an urban environment.  ;)

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1074 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Where can you find those malin leaders without having to order them?

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1075 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Where can you find those malin leaders without having to order them?

Thats it Bro. I always have to order. My favorite place is Tackledirect.com

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1076 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Dang I guess I'll just have to do that I was really hoping to get some tomorrow anything else I can get that works good but is strong enough to hold up in the area

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1077 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 PM »
I have had pretty good luck with TOOTHY CRITTER. You can get that at Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, Bass Pro and probably a dozen other big chain stores. I have used the 35 LB test primarily to make quick strike rigs to add a second treble to my Malin. Has worked good so far and seems very abrasion resistant. Bet it would do the trick for you. It would be my second choice with steel being my last choice.

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #1078 on: Feb 23, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Ft. Peck  :tipup:
PJB

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1079 on: Feb 23, 2013, 11:17 PM »
digging the facial expression  ;D