The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Montana Ice Fishing Pics.  (Read 641526 times)

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
Re: Montana Ice Fishing Pics.
« Reply #570 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:15 PM »
your an animal 4ever406. great job. 

Offline MFO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #571 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Nice pictures   :)

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #572 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:52 PM »

This is one of the pike I caught last weekend jigging.  This one was on an ultra light perch rod with 2lb test and a very small orange rat finkee.  You can see it hanging out of his mouth.  Probably about the weirdest thing I have ever caught a pike on.

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #573 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:56 AM »
Good Job!!

Offline SteveM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #574 on: Dec 28, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Nice Pics.  I need to get out and chase some pike!

IceCreeper

« Reply #575 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:42 AM »

Offline 40below

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me & Chops
« Reply #576 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:51 AM »

Ice fishin in Ekalaka
Work can kiss my grits, i'm goin ice fishin!!

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #577 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #578 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:35 PM »
ling and perch 2 of my favorite fish.

IceCreeper

« Reply #579 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Hmmm...what happened their tales????

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #580 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:37 AM »
Cut the tip off to bleed them. Some people stab them in the heart

Offline peacockhurl4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #581 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:04 AM »
I would 'bleed' any fish that you plan to eat.  On perch, walleye, or trout (I don't keep trout), I cut them immediately across right below the '^' under the gill plate (right above the heart).  Your fillets will be blood free and taste much better.  Processing your fish is much cleaner without the blood. The white fillets will last longer in the frig.  Also, I would dry your fillets with paper towel immediately after cleaning.  Give it a try-I think you will be very pleased with your fish.
I then dip the fillets in 1 egg white whipped with a little milk and then cover with flour.  Fry each side about 3-4 minutes in oil.  Salt & pepper to taste-great eating.

Offline camosled02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #582 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I'm new to the ice fishing game and was wondering if there is anywhere in the Missoula area that you can fish for ling?  Any advice on catching them also would be great!  Thanks

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #583 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Not many options for ling by missoula that i know of. Your best bet would be canyon ferry or clark canyon. Fish 6" off the bottom with a jig tipped with cutbait. You'll figure out which jigs and jigging methods work the best. We've caught 36 ling in 3 separate nights over the last month and we've found them anywhere from 8'-40'.  We've also caught ling at all hours but the bite definitely is best from 8 pm to 1 am. Good luck.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #584 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Another way to get blood out of fillets is to soak them in salted ice water. Fill a large bowl with ice top off with water, sprinkle some salt in (it doesn't take too much) put filets in. leave in the water for a few minutes and the water gets pink. Inspect the filets and repeat if necessary. I then freeze filets (in water) in a gallon zip lock bag with just a tad of salt in the water. Make sure the water is over the fish. This prevents freezer burn and you can keep fish for about six months or so this way.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #585 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I vacuum pack my fillets and that seems to do all the bleedin I need and I can keep them frozen for almost a year if need be...

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #586 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Another way to get blood out of fillets is to soak them in salted ice water. Fill a large bowl with ice top off with water, sprinkle some salt in (it doesn't take too much) put filets in. leave in the water for a few minutes and the water gets pink. Inspect the filets and repeat if necessary. I then freeze filets (in water) in a gallon zip lock bag with just a tad of salt in the water. Make sure the water is over the fish. This prevents freezer burn and you can keep fish for about six months or so this way.

If you do this with any meat and once it is frozen put more water in and freeze it again and you do that three times it will keep indefinitely if kept frozen. I had a friend whose grandma did this and served them a chicken that they had preserved this way in the 1950s that had been kept frozen the entire time with the three layers of ice and she said she had no idea it wasn't fresh from the store until her grandma told her the bird had been frozen for almost 60 years when they ate it. True story. I wouldn't recommend trying to eat a 60 year old piece of meat but it just illustrates you can preserve meat for an incredibly long time this way if you do it right.

Offline camosled02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #587 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Thanks 4EVER406, I might have to go try over in the Helena area. I have a buddy living that way so Ill have to drag him along with me.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #588 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:02 PM »

This is the best way to do it I've found. Been doing it this way since I was a kid.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Fish4Food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #589 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Nice Salmon Fishing On Deadman Basin a couple of weeks ago..

And Final Product is Below:

Smoked Salmon + Caviar:

IceCreeper

« Reply #590 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:12 PM »
You eat the spawners? :P

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #591 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:23 PM »
You eat the spawners? :P

Heck yeah as long as they aren't going rotten. When guys go snagging those are all spawners. Smoked spawner is fantastic.

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
« Reply #592 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Nice Salmon Fishing On Deadman Basin a couple of weeks ago..

(Image removed from quote.)

And Final Product is Below:

Smoked Salmon + Caviar:

(Image removed from quote.)
great job. i would eat em

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #593 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Here's a ling from Mission Lake 1/2/12. The picture's kind of crappy. I was by myself.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #594 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Heck yeah as long as they aren't going rotten. When guys go snagging those are all spawners. Smoked spawner is fantastic.

Ya'll are NUTS!  once they go through "the change" they don't taste anything like freshy's and the meat is a weird color...to each his own I guess..

IceCreeper

« Reply #595 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I wouldnt feed em to my dog! ::) :P ::)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #596 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:31 PM »
To each their own, before spawn they taste like trout, after spawn they actually taste like salmon to me. So long as they aren't turning or rotting they end up tasting like the regular smoked salmon we got out of the rivers in Oregon, except steelhead those taste like trout no matter what you do to them.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #597 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:23 PM »
They'r definitely  worth eating smoked or canned! if your baking or frying, the meat never firms up, reminds me of salmon pudding almost. By the looks of the fish in the pic I'd say theyve "turned". Looks like ya got some spawn, that crap catches just about everything, if you feel like tying sacs!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #598 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Nice ling sra61!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #599 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Thanks, there are even bigger ling in there. I saw one that came in and made a pass at my jig a couple of weeks ago that had to have been at least 10 lbs.
I just talked to a buddy that told me the ice is off of Mission now. With all the warm weather and high wind, it took it right off. He said that the wind blew so hard it blew those fires out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.