The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Black Betty  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Betty
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Really trying to talk myself out of trying one..  ::)
Looking for some good hometown input on these..

I almost exclusively fish for perch in depths ranging from 8-35' (don't like going deeper but will if needed) What are your thoughts on this vs a spinning reel.. Thanks!

Offline JFT81C

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Black Betty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Adam,
   I just purchased a 13fish ghost/pickle and it IS an investment but now that I have it setup and understand how the drop,drag, and trigger work. Excellent piece of gear. I a pretty sure the BB is the same reel just not in green.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:38 PM »
They look interesting and as that technology improves it looks like there are a couple of different manufacturers to look into. I like the fact that it does away with line twist. I might try one out one of these days. If I like it will use it. If not it will join all the other items for fishing that I no longer use.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:16 PM »
No line twist is my biggest attraction to the inline.. But I hear the drag on them are pretty sub par.. I guess I don't use my drag to much when perching.. But I do have it set to be able to fight a big perch perfectly!

Islander- if you want to try one before you buy I'd be happy to let you use this.. I have it on a 23" L tickle stick.. Maybe we could,work a trade or something!! Because I definitely don't see myself using it!!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:15 AM »
I was wondering how the cold and ice buildup would affect it and also the retrieve ratio. If it is a 1 to 1 then I doubt I would be happy with it as a perching reel. I use Pflueger president size 30 on my perch rods which are 30" and 36". Pretty consistent operation, great bail size with a strong spring and good drag. I use trilene sensation 6 pound test in solar (chartreuse). Have used this setup for more than a few years and works well for me.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:51 AM »
I have both models, the freefall and the 6061. I like them both. The 6061 is all aluminum construction (which I prefer) the freefall is not. Unsure as to why their newest model is made out of what I feel is lesser materials. I find the drag to be smooth on both, have caught perch, sunnies, LMB and bullpout with no issues. The retrieve ratio for the 6061 is 2.7:1 and 2.5:1 for the freefall. I've had the 6061 a few years now. The freefall is new to me this year. I really have a hard time saying which I like better, I am more used to the 6061.  The 6061 has the spool release button in the center of the spool instead of the trigger release. If you're interested in this style real I would check them both out, don't think you'd be disappointed with either.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:50 PM »
I was wondering how the cold and ice buildup would affect it and also the retrieve ratio. If it is a 1 to 1 then I doubt I would be happy with it as a perching reel. I use Pflueger president size 30 on my perch rods which are 30" and 36". Pretty consistent operation, great bail size with a strong spring and good drag. I use trilene sensation 6 pound test in solar (chartreuse). Have used this setup for more than a few years and works well for me.

I use the president 20 or shimano in a 1000.. Love the President.. Mostly with 4 pound test, micro ice I believe, In a bright color as well.. I Mostly fish in a fold over so I keep my rods under 27".. Usually bring an ultra light and light with me.. Just picked up a st. Croix mojo in a ML.. Looking forward to trying that..

I bought the inline more on a whim and almost immediately regretted it.. Maybe I need to give it more time..

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Well I ditched the inline! Got a new pflueger preaident and pocketed the other 70 bucks!! Gonna keep it conventional for a while!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. I've been liking my Okuma UL 10 from fishusa on my laker rod. Real nice drag and feel for $20

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Looked at this reel but purchased the descent for my 24 inch widow maker. Took some getting used to but now great. All I really wanted was less line coil and no spinning. Use for 15 fow or less and I hand pull the line. Have to tighten the drop control so there is no spool overrun when line is stripped off. Drag is good and 2:7-1 ratio does well. I may get another. Deep water rigs are still spinning reels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.