The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big weekend!  (Read 2346 times)

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
Big weekend!
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Hey guys -

Anyone getting out this weekend and where?

Gillette pond is where I will be Saturday,  it had an inch and a half Sunday.  Should be safe for Saturday! 
Anyone know of any other Ice conditions?  Monkton Pond?  Bristol? 

My guess is most everything just got a layer around hear as of recently (past weekend) so it will take till at least this week and weekend for some "safe" ice.

Bob

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Big weekend!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:31 PM »
With the warm temps and rain in the forecast I am going to wait until next weekend before giving it a go. May do some ice checking this weekend but the gear will stay home. I like a solid 4 to 6, any less I am not going to fully enjoy my time out there.

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:34 PM »
I think I'm going to hit a small crappie pond that had 2 inches last weekend so it should have safe ice now.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:04 PM »
There was some one on the vt side of kelly bay today in a portable.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:35 AM »
Hit double digits on Champlain river salmon last Saturday so I'll give that one last go again and hold out on the thin ice. I'm sure there will be plenty of fishable water though.

Offline Jlaperle11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:54 AM »
I'm going to do some Recon on North Montpelier Pond, Woodbury Lake (Sabin Pond), and Lake Elmore.

Might have to fall back on little Rood Pond in Williamstown. Hoping for Elmore, but we'll see.

What's the first pond you're going to hit this weekend?

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I drove by Elmore on Saturday morning, and half the lake was open. The end near the boat launch was locked up but looked very sketchy. The road/lot wasn't plowed to the launch so I didn't go poking around. I'm sure with the last 36 hours in the single digits, or less, up there it's locked up. Just hope it doesn't get too warm before Saturday as I'd like hit Elmore as well.

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Thanks for all the intel guys.  Sounds like we are all on the same thin ice at this point.

The small pond near me should be fishable this weekend even with 40's during the week.  We stood on the edge last weekend but it was thin. The cold nights are making that ice quickly.   Go go go go!

Bob

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Probably going out in the boat on Champlain early next week.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Hey guys -

Anyone getting out this weekend and where?

Gillette pond is where I will be Saturday,  it had an inch and a half Sunday.  Should be safe for Saturday! 
Anyone know of any other Ice conditions?  Monkton Pond?  Bristol? 

My guess is most everything just got a layer around hear as of recently (past weekend) so it will take till at least this week and weekend for some "safe" ice.

Bob

Hi Bob, are you talking Gillette pond Jonesville, Huntington ? Just wondered what kind of fish in there? Grew up in Richmond now a transplant mainer in 1986.

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Hi Bob, are you talking Gillette pond Jonesville, Huntington ? Just wondered what kind of fish in there? Grew up in Richmond now a transplant mainer in 1986.

Yup, that's exactly the spot I am talking about.  It holds Chain Pick's/Yellow Bellies/Northern(rare).

We checked it Sunday on the edges and it was roughly inch and a half.  The temps up there are maintaining low and Ice is building daily. I will be spot checking it again tonight.  Hoping to see at least 3" or Saturday or I will be fishing from shore somewhere on the big lake.

Bob

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:10 PM »
I'm going to do some Recon on North Montpelier Pond, Woodbury Lake (Sabin Pond), and Lake Elmore.

Might have to fall back on little Rood Pond in Williamstown. Hoping for Elmore, but we'll see.

Drove by N. Montpelier yesterday and a lot of the pond was open water.  :(

Offline DevonCota

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:11 PM »

I will be check on rood too, let me know what you see on Woodbury. All I know is I will be one the ice somewhere

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Woodbury Lake is a trout water lake so not open until 3rd Sat of January. ;)

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Woodbury Lake is a trout water lake so not open until 3rd Sat of January. ;)

Not true. Digest says its open for year round fishing. Trout and bass cannot be kept until the 3rd Saturday in January, but other species can be targeted before then.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I'll be hitting the river for steelies.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:51 AM »
good luck chris were still chasing salmon.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Not true. Digest says its open for year round fishing. Trout and bass cannot be kept until the 3rd Saturday in January, but other species can be targeted before then.
Thanks for correcting my mistake. Read the guide too quickly.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Jlaperle11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Just got back from checking Gillette Pond that we were talking about. Some fresh tracks along the road side of the pond.

3-4" of Ice about half black and half white

4 in most places going down to 3 in others

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Thanks for the updates!  I have never fished Gillette ... may  have try that one out this year.   Buddy of mine said that there people out on the south side of Sandbar yesterday, mostly on the east side by the duck blinds.  There was also an ice skater out there that ventured further west ... maybe 1/2 way to the causeway.  Nobody out at Lavigne Rd (Keeler's Bay) in S.Hero yet, but it was covered with ice.

Good luck and be safe everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.