The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Old time tricks and tips (BS thread to share tips or just superstitions)  (Read 5452 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No old tips.................. .........….but here is a new one: Ditch the old power auger for a new cordless drill and adapter- you won't regret it!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sure can. Freeze the rice crispies first so they are cold and then add them to the carton mix last and put them right back in the freezer will work. Be sure to open and close the freezer quickly to keep the temp down. If you can mist them outside when it’s below freezing that works as well. Lay them in a cookie sheet, use a spray bottle and mist on some water and it will freeze to the outside of them. I usually try to mist both sides so I do it twice and then add them. This year hasn’t been cold enough for that though.

Thanks Jagger!  I'm going to give this a try.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Here's a tip for all you newbies.

To prevent your night crawlers from freezing keep them in your mouth...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dirt,
I see guys with the rechargeable drill set up and am jealous. It’s quick, quiet and I’m the dummy hand turning an old 8” blue mora.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You don't need to spend a fortune on electric specific auger bits either. I am on my third season (ok I've only been out twice this year) with a standard 6in. Lazer set up and a 49$ (bare tool new) Makita Hammer drill.  I did upgrade to 5ah batteries since I use the drill for work as well. Just make sure your blades are nice and sharp and you're good to go.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
First of all the bigger the auger the harder it is to drill a 5 or 6 in. Is a lot easier to turn I used a 6 in mora for years and remember it being 2 ft of ice but it’s also easier on the drill too and if you want a drill that takes less effort by a nills A/P :tipup:

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
First of all the bigger the auger the harder it is to drill a 5 or 6 in. Is a lot easier to turn I used a 6 in mora for years and remember it being 2 ft of ice but it’s also easier on the drill too and if you want a drill that takes less effort by a nills A/P :tipup:

This makes total sense...but if you fish for pike, its a bit easier to turn them up the hole with a bit larger diameter hole.  I guess that would depend on what you like to target.  I'm not saying a pike can't squeeze through a 5 or 6" hole, and i'm sure many have done so through the years but the longer you fiddle with them when trying to get them up the hole, the higher the chances of that fish pulling the hooks from its bony mouth.  I'm not arguing with you at all, I just think hole diameter probably should depend on your target species.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Years ago I fished , and I say fished sparingly, with some guys. They cooked awesome meals on the ice. However everyone was given a fork first time out and if you didn’t have your fork you couldn’t eat. It was more ball busting until you got a new fork but it was fun.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
You would be surprised what you can get thru a 6” hole myself pulled an 8# largemouth and a 10.5# Muskie my buddy van cleaver helped me land that I have another one to add a 6# bass thru a 4.5” hole it was tough I hated to lose a good jig. A/P  :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Depends on the fish. A 36" pike only runs about 13# =/- and muskies are generally longer and slimmer with weight being equal. They should come through a 6" hole fairly easily. 8# LMB? Not so much. I've caught one in that neighborhood (24.5" no weight) and it was just a pig. I could fit both my fists into it's mouth. 6" hole? Good luck. I'm sure it's been done but still. I've had a few mid 40" muskies up through an 8.25" hole. Easier coming up than going back down.

Definitely though, if you are fishing for big fish, the bigger the hole the better off you are.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
When all you have is a 6” auger you make due with what you have the mora was the new thing to have unlike all the new gadgets of today most stuff for ice fishin was homemade . A/P stay safe  :tipup:

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gents,
 Debating the size of the hole a fish can come out of is a little off topic. The Bigger the hole, the bigger the things are that can fit through it. That’s obvious and we all make due with what we have....at least until we have money to spend on upgrades.

Most of what me and my family used growing up was homemade and that is the spirit of the thread.

When I was just learning as a kid we made spring bobbers from old guitar strings and leftover wire leader from blue fishing trips. Certainly homemade and just as effective as what is sold today. We made our jigging rods by drilling out an old broom handle (or hockey stick cause they were wood then) and inserting the top half of a two piece ultralight rod. Then taped the reel on and went fishing. Cost $0.00.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
My superstition is with my LX7.  I have the graph set up to have the flasher in the center and the bottom lock (vertical graph) on the other side.  I never use the automatic lock on it and always adjust it to the manual depth.  Probably just stupid thing that I do from when I had my Showdown 5.6db d/t on automatic, it could rarely find the bottom.  Nez

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.