Author Topic: Central Illinois ice?  (Read 8063 times)

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
Central Illinois ice?
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Hoping those of us here in Central Illinois get some ice. Anybody have any ice from Springfield to Bloomington to Macomb? Lets all help each other and see where the ice is. I'm ready!
Shawn

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Central Illinois ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:22 PM »
pretty certain the I 80 line will be in place again this year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I can report Clinton Weldon springs area.  Always looking for evergreen and argyle reports   and thinking of a trip to le-aqua-na. 
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Everything I've looked at is capped over in the Quad Cities, but nothing is safe yet.  If the forecast holds out and we get single digit overnight lows, we'll have 3" by mid week hopefully.

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Tbese sunny days arent helping. Some ponds have a full skim of ice and others have none.  I guess it depends on the water depth.Lake Springfield even has a little ice on it. Hope to go by Jim Edger SP at the end of the week.
Shawn

Offline chopstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 PM »
 Will post when i see up this way, Mazonia area.
If you count holes, YOU MUST BE A ROOKIE!

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:20 PM »
We have had ice on the lakes the past three days and still building in Elgin area. looks like 6" plus by new year.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Pond in the backyard has about 2" of ice (Petersburg).  In note that there are only two days in the next ten where the high is above freezing.  Add lows in the teens and we will likely be chasing gills and specks by the weekend.  Winter is here.  Hope she sticks around for a while.     
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM »
ugly ugly ugly forecast for mid week....  hope they got it wrong.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:01 PM »
What forecast ya looking at blue? Clinton looks average and colchester or argyle looks promising.
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:30 PM »
NOAA 10-12 inches snow just south of 9 and wind for tomorrow night n Wed.  I am heading west and north I think.

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:07 AM »
Forescast has changed still windy but no snow will be on our limited ice! According to wand news?? Lol
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Ya slight chance for snow on friday and saturday we will surely be making ice for awhile way it looks.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I think I'll be on the move tomorrow maybe the canal.   Maybe Indy.

Offline lakekakuha11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Went out and checked lake kakusha yesterday in lassale county in Mendota, it was locked up and people were talking by the launch. Hopefully will be ready in a few days

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2012, 04:37 PM »
They run the areattor up there in the winter?

Offline lakekakuha11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:10 PM »
No, your thinking of lake Mendota I think. I've been ice fishing kakusha for a few years except last year due to poor ice. Lake Mendota they keep arreator running all year and the geese keep it open

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Forecast could not get any better in Springfield.  Cold.  Cold. Cold.  Snow will likely be scarce.  Should be drillin holes by Friday.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Fished a small 2 acre pond near Nauvoo Monday with just over 2 inches of clear ice. Fished shallow but caught 40-50 in just a few hours. 2 of us.   Checked the ice at Lake Horton in Nauvoo today and it's 4".  Going to fish hard tomorrow.

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Fished with a buddy for just under 3 hours today. Got into them pretty good. Kept 21 crappie 20 bluegill and 1 bass. I don't generally keep bass but I hooked it deep and it didn't swim away. They were in the deepest part of the pond. Hitting minnows on the fall. 10 acre body of water and ice was 4". Good clear ice.  Thinking about trying Argyle tomorrow. Haven't fished it since I was 6 or 7.

All the bluegill we kept were real nice. Smallest crappie was 11 1/2 inches. Biggest was a little over 14". Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Great looking mess of fish Cal.

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2012, 02:47 AM »
Catfishcalvin can u report conditions from argyle when your dine please ramp area and spillway area thanks
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I didn't have anyone to go with today so decided to hold off on Argyle until tomorrow or Sunday. I've never fished it but I've heard you can catch trout through the ice there. Any tricks to it? Heading to Scheels now to pick up some more power pro ice line and a few jigs. Not that I need any more jigs.  :-\

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Calvin,

I read in a Fall report that Argyle Lake was drained down a bit...might still be the case. I actually like when lakes are drawn down since it concentrates the fish  @) ;)! When we fished this lake two years ago the Trout were shallow (less than five FoW), around the docks, and close to downed trees. if you concentrate in those spots you will do well versus in deep water. If you like catfish, I caught seven in three days (lost a few too) fishing the mid depth flats (15 FoW). The Bluegills were small to medium at best, except for the school of Redears that cruised by (9-10"). This is a good lake to fish and has some diversity (Saugeye & Crappie) for a potential surprise.

Please post a report if you get out that way!

Tight Lines,

ratsotail

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely post a report after I go. Tomorrow is looking like a good day to go. I'll have waxies and minnows to throw at them.  Never caught or tried to catch a trout before.

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Ratsotail how have you been? Good I hope. Calvin my sons and I fished opening weekend at argyle did really well. Lake was very very low.  We limited just past the dock. Also at the spillway to the right of the round intake or whatever that.thing is.  Good luck look forward to hearing the ice thickness and fish report 
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Ratsotail how have you been? Good I hope. Calvin my sons and I fished opening weekend at argyle did really well. Lake was very very low.  We limited just past the dock. Also at the spillway to the right of the round intake or whatever that.thing is.  Good luck look forward to hearing the ice thickness and fish report
Jeremy,

That's cool to see your son blazing the trail you started with ice fishing!  I look forward to more of his reports! Hey, let's start to do some planning for this season. It looks to be shaping up much better than last year, eh! Evergreen...Dawson? Somewhere else?

Jeff

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I went by Argyle Lake SP today (12-28) and all the roads to the lake are closed. Can you even fish there? I went by there this fall and it was very low. Also went by Jim Edger SP today and most of the lakes and ponds still have open water or just a thin skim of ice. Gonna be a few days still for there.

I was doing research on lakes close to Springfield with Walley, Sauger, or Saugeye. Does anybody have any information on Lake Bloomington, Evergreen Lake, Dawson Lake, etc...? Thanks
Shawn

Offline boscolab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Evergreen was open for the most part last Sunday. White Pines cove had 1/2 inch. Been told about springs in some coves so always check ice as you go. The good news is that if you are willing to walk some trails, you can find coves that you can have all to yourself. But again, you got to walk a bit and no garantee of good ice...... I drive down there from the Starved Rock area every Sunday to pick my mother up so I plan to leave early and fish E for a few hours prior to.  If that doesnt work, I fish the pond at my sisters and fill a bucket in a few minutes.
If I had a penny for every time, people thought they would get rich from getting pennys for every thing they claim they do or hear, over and over again, I would be richer than Richy Rich.
HUH?

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Thanks for the info and, hopefully, continued updates on Evergreen, Boscolab!

tight lines,

ratsotail

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.