Author Topic: Reel spool design and line coil  (Read 5837 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Reel spool design and line coil
« on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Hey guys.  I know all you ice masters can help me out with this.  I am looking into a new spinning reel for one of my ice fishing rods.  I have got a good idea on the brand and models I want to choose from thanks to the suggestions I've got on this board.   I have one more question though.  I can't remember how the spool design affects line coil.  Is it the bigger the diameter of the spool the less coiling, or is it the depth/length of the spool that gives you less coiling????  I seem to be only able to find info on how this affects casting distance.  Well I wont be casting with this reel so maybe it doesn't matter, but I like to tight line for gills and crappies and I don't want to put money into a reel that will give me more coil then another one would.......so do you guys recommend a smaller diameter spool or a longer spool for this application.  I will be running 2lb test on it most of the time.  Occasionally 4.  Most of the fishing I do is in water less then 20ft.  Thanks for any info or suggestions.   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Reel spool design and line coil
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:02 PM »
I bought a Gaunder Mountain brand reel last fall A Competitor GSCOMP25F  and realy like it. I love the clutch action in the crank. Non of that 1/8th of a turn backwark to stop.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:33 PM »
The larger the spool arbor the less problem you will have with line coils.  Small narrow spools tend to have a small arbor and without line, they appear to be deep spools.  It is these small coils of line memory that sometimes makes your lure swim in circles as it free falls and as you reel up line.  The larger spools that look like wide shallow spools will be better.  The largers the spool is, the larger the line memory coils will be and thus the line will be a lot more straight.

You can just as easily put some line backing on the deep spools too.  Since 2# test is fairly small and most people don't need more than 50 yrds at a time.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2010, 01:08 AM »
Hello list:
I switched over to level wind reels with a swivel and do not suffer from line twist any more.
Thread killer

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:27 AM »
The other major factor in producing line twist (just like on soft water) is continuing to reel in when the fish is pulling out drag.... never ever do that.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:05 PM »
The larger the spool arbor the less problem you will have with line coils.  Small narrow spools tend to have a small arbor and without line, they appear to be deep spools.  It is these small coils of line memory that sometimes makes your lure swim in circles as it free falls and as you reel up line.  The larger spools that look like wide shallow spools will be better.  The largers the spool is, the larger the line memory coils will be and thus the line will be a lot more straight.

You can just as easily put some line backing on the deep spools too.  Since 2# test is fairly small and most people don't need more than 50 yrds at a time.

The other major factor in producing line twist (just like on soft water) is continuing to reel in when the fish is pulling out drag.... never ever do that.

x2
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Larger spools...

Something I have posted before;
What ever mono line I am using, before I start fishing, I hook my jig to my clam, walk away from it further than the depth I will be fishing (letting the line out), pop the bail and gently pull my line tight and start to stretch it out (hold the spool from slipping). This does a couple things for me; 1. Removes line memory/coils (not twist). 2. If I have a nick in my line or a bad knot, it will part their and not on a fish. 3. It reminds me of just how much pressure I can apply to the fish. 4. I then test my drag for the day. If the coils are not gone, either the line is too old or you need to chance the brand of line that you are using. I have used the hole side stretching of line trick and it does work, but I find this is better and gets more things done.
When you first start using this trick, you will break your line sometimes, but that is part of the learning curve and best of all you are MUCH less likely to break the line on a fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.