Author Topic: Drill Adapter For Auger  (Read 584 times)

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
Drill Adapter For Auger
« on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:35 AM »
Just wondering if anyonw had any experience using an 18v cordless with an 8 in mora? If so any suggestion i ordered a nimrod adapter for it also
And so it begins........

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ifnoiceImnotfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Drill Adapter For Auger
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:42 AM »
18V or higher and it works great. Keep your blades sharp of course. Bring exra battery if you have one. Keep the battery warm in your pocket when not in use. AND hold on tight as it can yank you around and will pull itself out of your hand and too the bottom of the lake if your not paying attention.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Wouldn't go higher than 7" with the Mora. You'd need a $300+ cordless
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:14 PM »
  I needed a new cordless for work so I looked into buying one that could power an 8" auger as well, mine is also a Mora. Opinions vary on which drill is best, but I settled on the Milwaukee fuel 1/2 hammer drill/driver with the m18 red lithium xc 4.0 batteries. For an adapter I went with the Ice Master. There are some real good video reviews on youtube that may help you to decide what set up is best for you.
  It's still a bit early in the season for me to give a full and fair review of my set up, but so far I love it. I have probably drilled 50-60 holes in ~ 6" or so of ice so far. I drilled about 40 holes one day and did not have to change the battery. How many holes I get in thicker ice remains to be seen.
  By using the Ice Master adapter I am able to quickly remove the drill and use it for work. From what I gather the Clam plate requires you to remove the chuck thus making harder to use the for other purposes. The other benefit of the ice master is its small size. Never having used any other set up I can't really say whats best, just reporting what I have found from my own first hand experience.   

Offline fundseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I've used the Ice Master adapter on an 18 volt lithium powered CTC drill for years now. I tried an 8" and 6" Fin Bore auger ( good one with the curved blades) It would only cut a few holes with the 8" but can cut many holes with the 6" , so that is the auger I use.

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I also have a 6" Mora to use as my back-up should I find it necessary. Plus not having owned a power auger before I figure anything I get from this set up is a bonus and I can always put the handle back on and do what I have been doing for years.....grind em out...

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:42 PM »
   By using the Ice Master adapter I am able to quickly remove the drill and use it for work. From what I gather the Clam plate requires you to remove the chuck thus making harder to use the for other purposes.

Not familiar with the ice master so this is probably irrelevant but make sure you have something to catch your auger if your using an adapter that just tightens in the chuck like a drill bit. My mora is on the bottom of the lake because of the type of adapter that is to be inserted into a chuck. Just my experience.

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:51 PM »
That's a good point. The Ice Master has a bungee cord that stretches up over the handle preventing the auger from going down the hole should it come off of the chuck, which it has done once already and the bungee system worked as it should. Probably user error, but it can happen. 

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Drill a hole in a frisbee or paint can cover same size as auger shaft, pace below the bolt on the adapter, if chuck loosens up auger can't fit down the hole.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Ive decided to get the 6in mora on ebay and the nimrod drill adapter with the 18v drill
And so it begins........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.