Author Topic: Palm rods Anyone use them?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
Palm rods Anyone use them?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 04:33 PM »
I've been looking at these from Fiskas and Marmish. Does anyone use these? I was watching the videos and it looks like they just use the rod to jig with, then when they catch a fish they had line it up. Am I overlooking what is so special about this set up? What makes them better than a conventional rod and reel with a spring bobber?
http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/Palm%20Rod.htm

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Palm rods Anyone use them?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 04:47 PM »
I just posted the same thing in the Maine forum. I think I am going to order a marmish, and find out what it's all about

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:37 PM »
I have two Marmish rods. They are fun to use and catch fish. I was eyeing the Jontu palm rod on yourbobbersdown.com, its a nice looking rod.

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Benefit is paks easily, simple reel design, pretty much fail proof unless you drive over them. i use them like a rod but when a fish is on I hand over hand the line like I'm fishing a tip up. best of both worlds.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:46 PM »
ive used marmishes for the last 4 years. Very good rods. They float, dont tangle, and are super sensitive. Ive used them as bobbers once, just float them in the hole with a little string through the hole and when they twitch just pick them up and hand over hand. you can carry alot of them all set up differently because they are small. I usually have 4 on me at all times when on the lake.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I love my Marmish rod ;D

I whip it out and people laugh at me. Then I out fish them 4-1

They always ask where to get one.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:35 PM »
I love my Marmish rod ;D

I whip it out and people laugh at me. Then I out fish them 4-1

They always ask where to get one.

EXACTLY WHAT I ALWAYS DO!

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:37 PM »
I can see they would work pretty good. But what is the real advantage over a conventional rod and reel with a proper spring bobber attached?

Is it just the size?

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:46 PM »
I find that spring bobber rods arent as visually sensitive as the marmish. When i fish the marmish i hold it horizontal to my eye so i can see the dip or rise when i catch a fish. Rods you usually hold away from yourself and its not as easy to detect strikes. Thats just me tho. If im not using the marmish i use my ice rods with no spring bobber with the underwater camera.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:11 AM »
Yep the lil spring type bober on a marmish is super sensitive. I can tell when there just mouthing it. By the twitches on the marmish. Tryed to see if you could see it on a spring and dident get a thing. Plus the size is nice. Lastly you just cant replicate the action you get by useing a marmish.

Tight lines

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I like the tiny pulse movement you can put on the jig, due to not having a longer rod multiply your jigging action. Going to Gander today will see if they have them there.

What kind of line are you guys using on them. I see them talking about 6 pound. Other than my tip up I dont use anything past 4 Fireline Crystal. Other wise its 2 or even 1 pound.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:43 AM »
I use 6 pound test because the fish around here are not that line shy so you can get away with it. My all time favorite line to use for ice fishing is 5X Rio powerflex tippet material. Its really limp, super thin and super strong. Its about 5 pound test and its just simply awesome.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I'll have to look for that. I'm rigging a couple of mine up with Orvis 7x tippet, they say its 2.7 lb. I'm wondering how line shy they really are by me. I actually have one rod rigged with 1 pound Fireline Crytsal, but so far have chickened out from using it, from the dreaded They will see the line.

Went to gander and they didn't have them there. I just hate ordering things, not a very patient person.lol If I'm gonna buy it , I want it NOW.lol

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:16 AM »
I agree entirely, the e mail reply people hate me because im the most impatient person on the planet when it comes to getting my new toys. The beauty of fly line tippet is that you can get it for cheap. The lighter weights are usually discounted because no one buys them and the strength to thickness ratio cannot be beat. If the fish get line shy around here i drop to 3 pound test, after than it is just too tough to thread the things, even for a young guy like me.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:09 PM »
I hear ya. Light line makes me feel so old. If I find a set up local i may try it out. Looks neat.

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Just ordered a marmish last night. Now I gotta wait 6-12 days to get it shipped.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:41 PM »
I actually went to a Local bait shop in the Area  Triangle bait and they had 2 on the rack. Gander Mountain and BPS did not stock any. $19.99 So I bought it. It's TINY.LOL I walked right past it 3 times before I noticed it.  Gonna load it up with Gamma Esp Ice 4 lb. Went there and loaded up on Little Atom plastics, this store has some hard to find models. So I got the Marmish. No waiting!!! lol The impatient side of me is very happy. Now to figure out how it works.lol

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:08 PM »
Any way to make sure the line gets wound fairly evenly on the spool? Hate to just wind it and have it bulk up to one side. Any help? Or just reel it on?

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:24 PM »
i just reel it on all of mine, you could spool it first outside of the rod and then thread it. for that i made a custom plate for a drill. Its basically 2 big pieces of rubber than i drilled out to fit the bolt, cut a notch in one so it can fit the handle and then use a nut to tighten it up. its like a sandwhich. then you stick it in a drill and lay the line on.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Ok done. Seems fairly even. Is the lock position just for transporting? Do you use the foam edge as a hook keeper?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I reel the jig up against the rubber on the spring bobber holder and lock the spool.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:01 PM »
i use the lock when im fishing panfish just to keep the handle in the position i like in my hand. I  do use the foam as a hook keeper if im fishing with a dropper but most of the time i just reel it to the tip.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Does the position of the O-ring matter? Close to the tip or further back? supposed to put more tension on the line, or just keep the line from rubbing on the spring bobber?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:37 PM »
They look like more of a pain and "something to get used to" to me. I'll just stick with my standard rigs.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:38 PM »
i like to put it so theres a medium amount of tension on the line, not enough to make it hard to reel but also more than enough to make the spool stop when i pull line out so it doesnt over run and keep the spool spinning. its like reeling line through your fingers basically.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.