Author Topic: Thorne Bros Owners....need input...please??  (Read 7489 times)

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thorne Bros Owners....need input...please??
« on: Dec 24, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Ok guys.....I have decided to pull the trigger and order 2 Thorne Bros Jiggin rods. I just would like your input on your favorite actions and sizes.I already have 3 St Croix Ice rods...2 spring bobbers and 1 reg rod...they are ok but I feel there are better rods out there ie. Thorne Bros.

A bit about the way I fish:

Outside
Mobile
Panfish & Perch Mostly, ocassional LMB and trout less than 20"
Utilize a pencil grip to jig
Light line fan usually 4lb test max.

What 2 rods would you guys pick and why (tackle choice and line wt.)

Thank you in advance!

Merry Christmas and tight lines!
DD ;D
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thorne Bros Owners....need input...please??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Double M....that is an excellent idea, I am def. gonna call them for their input.

What are the rods that you are using and there primary applications?

Thank you and Merry Christmas! DD

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2007, 11:56 AM »
DD calling them is best! I just ordered the perch sweetheart plus with the hidden hood grip , but I had them customize it to 28" ( I ordered the outside model) instead of 32" , just my pref , and of course had "IRISHJIGGER" put on it! Also had green with gold colors you can pick them out also from their website.
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/sweetheart_perch.html
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Color options , I had a hard time finding them , thought this would help you out .
http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/rods/CUSTOM/muskie/muskie_shoppingcart.html
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Yep, you are always better calling them to place an order on anything custom.  They will do what you want to the rod.  Bigger eyes on the rod, being that you will be outside.  Most of their rods have small eyes on them.  You tell them what you want, & they can make it.  Hands down, the one of the best customer service outfits to deal with!!!

Offline Drewbonic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Thorne Brothers are great rods. I do not currently have one, but I have in the past. I used to live not far from their shop, and I stopped in oneday to chat with them about rod selection. I walked out with one of their ice jigging rods. Give them a call, and you will most llikely be blown away. Good luck , and Good fishing.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Irish...thanks bud I really appreciate the input....I'm kinda particular to the 28"  rod myself....I like that Idea for sure. Thanks for the links....green and gold....NICE!

jimmy....good call on the larger eyes! How long is turn-around normally on a "custom" rod? Any up charge?

What exactly is the "hidden hood"? Does it totally eliminate the reel seat to give a Tennessee like feel and appearance, minus the tape?

Double M and Drew.......thank you guys!

Anyone else have anything to add??

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2007, 05:42 PM »
DD once you go to the one site I sent you , youll understand ! I ordered thet Sweet perch OUTSIDE Hidden hood custom 28" . The outside rods come with the bigger eyes , my custom order last week was about 2-3 weeks out , not long for what you want .

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Irish...thanks bud I really appreciate the input....I'm kinda particular to the 28"  rod myself....I like that Idea for sure. Thanks for the links....green and gold....NICE!

jimmy....good call on the larger eyes! How long is turn-around normally on a "custom" rod? Any up charge?

What exactly is the "hidden hood"? Does it totally eliminate the reel seat to give a Tennessee like feel and appearance, minus the tape?

Double M and Drew.......thank you guys!

Anyone else have anything to add??

All of mine have small eyes, because I no longer "Die Hard" it outside of a shanty.  I like the hidden hood handles because if I'm spending more than $50 on a rod, I'm not going to Hill-Jack it up & put tape on the cork.  I want it to last for years!  Some guys don't like it because it makes the handle longer, but you will get used to it, & you can grab it just like any other rod.  They will put it on any rod they make, just because it's not on the website.  Another reason I call my orders in!  Most of the time when I call, I ask for Josh.  Always takes good care of me!  As far as a turn around time, they are not quite as busy as they are before Christmas.  Ask them when you call.  Sometimes it's only like a week or two. 

My Perch Sweetheart Plus!  Good shot of the handle.  Don't forget to throw a good Tica reel on it!!!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:06 PM »
All this TB talk got me going.  I just ordered a 24" Power Noodle, nothing fancy, just wanted the lightest, most sensitive, ultra-light jigging rod TB makes.  Going to put a Shimano Symetre reel w/2lb FC line on it.  I got sick of those &^%# springs and other crap on the end of my jigging rods just going to use a plain rod, plus I've been using Silstar Tiny 20 reels that do nothing but tie my line up in knots.  For some reason those Silstar reels don't always reel in line correctly, I spend half my day untangling knots and removing line from under the spool - sucks.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/power_noodle.html
Fixed your link.  You should have put a Tica on it like mine! ;)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:46 PM »
JG, thanks for fixing the link.  I wanted a hidden hood handle on my new rod also but the guy I spoke to at TB talked me out of it.  Said it would be defeating the purpose of the Power Noodle, figured he knew best so I agreed.  I also wanted large eyes since I'm usually outside, again he talked me out of them on this rod.  I thought about getting custom color but there would be a 2 - 3 week wait otherwise they could ship out a non-custom colored rod tomorrow, I opted for tomorrow shipping.  Never thought about a Tika.  You like it better than a Symetre?
Yep, I get started on them about 3-4 years ago, & since then, I can't find anything else better for ice rods.  All my soft water spinning reels are Quantum Energys, but on the ice, it's Tica.  Ice Junky will back me up on this!  I have SS500, SB500, & GV500.  A couple of each.  I've got several others started on them now also.  I'm waiting for them to send me one for free! ;D

http://www.ticaglobal.com/EN/AM/PR_ReelS_A.ASP?model=CETUS%20500%20series&type=SS500

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Yes I had a Tika reel put on mine also , will send pics !!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I have been slowly replacing all my reels with Tica's they are top notch and you cant beat the price thats for sure...I use the SB500 series and have then on all my St Croix legends as well as all my genz stix....they hold up better in extreme cold then any reel I have tired...and this is straight out of the box...

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:44 AM »
I have 8 tica reels, they are about the smallest decent reel out there.

The Shimano Symetre 750 is the best reel on the market IMO. The only problem with the 750 series from shimano is that they are slightly larger and heavier than the ticas. I would go with a Tica on a smaller rod like the 24" noodle. A walleye sweetheart would be a great rod for the 750 symetre.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:54 AM »
the Tica gets knocked for using so much gold plated plastic, the Symetre is metal.  The Tica gets knocked for sometimes having the line get tangled under the bail and spool, and sometimes the line coming off the spool in clumps.

I have had had either of these problems with the Tica reels, I agree with you about buying junk and having to replace or upgrade as I know most of us have had to do this...but the Tica is light, stronge and worth $78 although you will only have to pay $30 for it...give them a try I know you wont be disapointed

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I've had Ticas for several years and thus far no major problems. Like you said the line does get caught under the spool from time to time with the ticas. I have 2bb, 4bb and 6bb Ticas and they are all equally smooth, you couldn't tell the difference between them other than color. I use shimano exclusivly for open water fishing and on an ultra light set-up the the 750 shimanos are hard to beat. The shimanos are a better made reel than the ticas but the Ticas are better suited for smaller ice rods due to its smaller size. I got my last SS500 Tica off Ebay for $40 shipped NIB. You can get decent deals off ebay sometimes.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2007, 04:18 PM »
I was thinking about the new TB Power Noodle I just bought and called Tb again about it. This time I spoke to Lonny about what I wanted, he told me I was given some misinformation when I ordered the rod.  He said that hidden hoods are definately possible on this rod and will work good but they will cost $20 extra.  I changed my order from a stock 24" to a custom 28" Power Noodle with oversize guides and hidden hoods, the color will be metalic blue and red.  Now the bad part is I have to wait 2 to 3 weeks!!  At least now I'll get what I want!!
Yepers Madcap.  I didn't think that sounded right from your other post.  I think you will be happy getting it done the way you changed it to, the way you want.  That's why they are "Custom" rods! ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Lots of good info here. Lonnie recently made me a glass Sweet Pea for sight-fishing that is hands down the best rod I have used. I ordered one off th website and it was too stiff. I sent it back and asked for one that was suitable for blugills.  I have a Tica Sb500 on it. I actually dont care for the Tica reels but I wasnt gonna buy another reel when I have Ticas sitting around. I would rather have a Diawa Caprice 500. No line twist issues and the darn reel handle doesnt sit there and turn under its own weight. What moron engineer thought that up? I have a Pflueger President that does the same thing. I hate when they do that.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I have gone to Tice Cetus reels on all my thorne rods now. Most are spooled with 3# fireline crystal and the others are 4# P-Line fluroclear.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Thorne Bros rod arrived yesterday , I got the shakes !!! It is everything I hoped it would be . Will send pics soon with a fish on , hope saturday is the day!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Good luck with the rod and hope it treats you great!!

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Cool Irish....good luck with it! Can't wait to see the pics!

I still haven't decided...maybe tomorrow?? LOL

Just ordered 3  Jason Mitchell MeatStciks for deadstick setups.......God I hope our ice lasts!!  :-[

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Saturday was not the day ! And I didnt bring it to Jamaica this week ;D, hopefully this saturday though !

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:10 PM »
They have built me 3 custom rods about 5 years ago they are awesome i fish mostly for lake trout in 90 pluss feet of water i can tell when a fish is down there by the jig feeling light!!! You wont be sorry good luck with your new pole
<

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.