Author Topic: Swap a treble for a single hook on a split ring; what hook do you use?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Hoping someone might have some advice on this.  I like to swap out some of my spoons from a treble hook to a single hook.  Sometimes a single hook presentation will outperform a treble.  And, if the fish are really snapping, it is much easier to get a single hook out than a treble. 

Most of these spoons have a small split ring that the hook hangs on.  Some spoons like the Swedish Pimple come with both styles of hook in the package.  The hooks that come with these baits is perfect for hanging on a split ring as the eye on the hook is larger than normal.  It makes the hook slide around the split ring really nicely. 

Has anyone else found a hook with a large eye that they would recommend for putting on a split ring?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can share. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Most likely a siwash hook. 

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1018

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Most likely a siwash hook. 

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1018

I have done the above also and used a octopus hook, (not to be confused with a circle hook.)

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I switch out most of my spoons big and small to a single hook. I use Owner Mosquito hooks with the smallest split ring I can get away with on the small spoons.

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
Put a fastach between the ring and hook.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I recently purchased hali single hooks with dropper chain and replaced a few treble hooks on some buckshots they work pretty good on perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.