Author Topic: Spoons/other vertical jigs  (Read 1135 times)

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spoons/other vertical jigs
« on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:50 AM »
  When jigging a spoon or any of the other elongated vertical jigs through the ice, what has been more successful having the eye (assuming it has one) up or down.  I've seen alot of minnows die and they often go head down first so it seems like the eye being on the bottom would be most effective.  Any other thoughts on this?
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spoons/other vertical jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:43 AM »
ive heard the eye near the hook end is a hot ticket. some fish attack the head first, hence the eye near the hook would be an option. just going off what ive heard. im actually gonna start using spoons more this year for jumbo perch.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2012, 01:56 PM »
I do it both ways.  Say if just using minnow heads.  The fish eye down is gonna work better - wells works for me. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2012, 04:11 PM »
ive heard the eye near the hook end is a hot ticket. some fish attack the head first, hence the eye near the hook would be an option. just going off what ive heard. im actually gonna start using spoons more this year for jumbo perch.

x2

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2012, 05:25 PM »
I switch the hook on some of my spoons to the other side so long as the action is not changed.northland makes a flutter spoon with the hook at the eye side and ive had good luck with them forgot the name

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.