Author Topic: Thorne Bros. Suggestions  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thorne Bros. Suggestions
« on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:53 PM »
I am thinking of getting nice set up for perch and bluegills.  What rod from thorn bros seems to be the best option?  I'm leaning toward the 26 inch Quiverstick.

I plan on using a fly reel but would like the option to switch to a spinning reel. 

Let me know what you guys think.  Also let me know if you have ideas for a custom set up.

Thanks!

surflizard

Re: Thorne Bros. Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Design your own custom rod with better componants for less money, bunch of good rod builders in house ! ;)2

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Is there a lot of benefit to the longer/recessed fly reel handle? Or will the standard 5 inch handle work just as well?

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:33 PM »
This is what I had built by T7 Customs and the balance is Perfect !

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Is there a lot of benefit to the longer/recessed fly reel handle? Or will the standard 5 inch handle work just as well?

I prefer the standard 5 inch handle on Thorne B rods. Some guys mount the reel towards the back. I like it just forward of center... Im not a fan of the fly reelseats. All depends on how you hold the rod. I have two ways that I mix up and both feel best to me mounted this way...  ;D

Also you will be more than happy with that quiverstick... Cant find better components, or construction...  @)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:06 PM »
The quiverstick is the way to go for a mix of pannies you are looking for. I use mine with a fly reel as mentioned above. But you can also use it with a standard spinning reel.

there are many guys that complain about the $$ but believe me you will be able to quickly see why you spent the cash on a thorne bros rod

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 5 inch handle.

26 seems good for length.  My current rods are 24 and 27.

What guides do you think would work best?  I fish 50/50 indoors and out.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 5 inch handle.

26 seems good for length.  My current rods are 24 and 27.

What guides do you think would work best?  I fish 50/50 indoors and out.

Im a big fan of the recoils that come standard on the Quiverstick. They are the lightest option out there and really let the action of the blank shine!
Im havin a powernoodle made with recoils now...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Actually the Pac Bay Minima guides are lighter than the Recoils - all my rod builds are using the Minimas - really a sweet guide.  A lot of open water rod builders (myself included) aren't using much else right now.    Added bonus - much less expensive than the Recoils  @)

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Design your own custom rod with better componants for less money, bunch of good rod builders in house ! ;)2

Better components, where ?

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Actually the Pac Bay Minima guides are lighter than the Recoils - all my rod builds are using the Minimas - really a sweet guide.  A lot of open water rod builders (myself included) aren't using much else right now.    Added bonus - much less expensive than the Recoils 

I like the idea of just getting the standard 26 inch quiverstick.  Is icing up a big problem with the Fuji tip-top?

Options for the Guides are:

Standard Fuji Inside - Standard guide set for most inside rods (other than the Dead Stick and Professional series) but can be used for some outside applications as well. On some options like the Power Noodle, this guide set can get rather small towards the tip of the rod, causing a better chance of freeze-up. However, inside a shelter this guide set will offer a lighter, more sensitive option.

Outside Fuji Alconite - Standard guide set for most outside rods (other than Dead Stick and Professional series). This guide option has larger diameter guides than your Inside Standard Fuji Hardloy which helps reduce freeze-up. A great all-purpose guide for the angler who is spending a lot of time out on the open ice but also plans on sitting inside a shelter from time to time too.

Standard REC Recoil - Guide set that comes standard on the 26" Quiverstick. This guide set comes with a Fuji tip-top that can be used with Thorne Bros springs. A very lightweight option for a variety of conditions, but best suited for inside a shelter.

Outside REC Recoil - This guide set uses oversized REC Recoil guides and the tip is a wrapped on REC Recoil guide with a larger diameter than the standard inside option to help reduce freeze up. The lightest outside guide set we offer. This guide set comes standard on a Quiverstick XL and Outside Power Noodle.

Stealth REC Recoil - This guide set uses over-sized Black REC Recoil guides and the tip is a wrapped on Black REC Recoil guide with a larger diameter than the standard inside option to help reduce freeze up. The lightest outside guide set we offer. This guide set comes standard on a Stealth Quiverstick.

Outside Fuji Hardloy - The guide set offers over-sized Fuji Hardloy guides ideal for outside conditions, no matter the temperature. This guide set comes standard on the Dead Stick and Professional series rods.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:32 PM »

I like the idea of just getting the standard 26 inch quiverstick.  Is icing up a big problem with the Fuji tip-top?

Options for the Guides are:

Standard Fuji Inside - Standard guide set for most inside rods (other than the Dead Stick and Professional series) but can be used for some outside applications as well. On some options like the Power Noodle, this guide set can get rather small towards the tip of the rod, causing a better chance of freeze-up. However, inside a shelter this guide set will offer a lighter, more sensitive option.

Outside Fuji Alconite - Standard guide set for most outside rods (other than Dead Stick and Professional series). This guide option has larger diameter guides than your Inside Standard Fuji Hardloy which helps reduce freeze-up. A great all-purpose guide for the angler who is spending a lot of time out on the open ice but also plans on sitting inside a shelter from time to time too.

Standard REC Recoil - Guide set that comes standard on the 26" Quiverstick. This guide set comes with a Fuji tip-top that can be used with Thorne Bros springs. A very lightweight option for a variety of conditions, but best suited for inside a shelter.

Outside REC Recoil - This guide set uses oversized REC Recoil guides and the tip is a wrapped on REC Recoil guide with a larger diameter than the standard inside option to help reduce freeze up. The lightest outside guide set we offer. This guide set comes standard on a Quiverstick XL and Outside Power Noodle.

Stealth REC Recoil - This guide set uses over-sized Black REC Recoil guides and the tip is a wrapped on Black REC Recoil guide with a larger diameter than the standard inside option to help reduce freeze up. The lightest outside guide set we offer. This guide set comes standard on a Stealth Quiverstick.

Outside Fuji Hardloy - The guide set offers over-sized Fuji Hardloy guides ideal for outside conditions, no matter the temperature. This guide set comes standard on the Dead Stick and Professional series rods.

Yes, the SIC tip can ice up easy when outside. I would go and get a 32" rod with with a  wrapped recoil guide for a tip, since you said you'll be spending half your time outside. The only question would have is will it fit you when your fishing inside ? Pm me if you are not sure what you want and I'll help you out the best I can. 

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I will probably have to go shorter. When i am inside i am in a one man flipover or a 6 man hub.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:14 PM »
If you order the quiverstick at 26" call them to order it, tell them to wrap the tip like they do on the 32", instead of using the tip top like they do stock on the 26". This should save you 2-3 bucks as well. that tip top is around 12 bucks and the guide 5 something.......

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Maybe I'll just get two.  Indoor and outdoor. Thanks for everyone's input!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2011, 02:45 AM »
i just bought 2 quiver sticks....they are awesome.  this years models have the single foot flly guides so they are a little nicer in my opinion.  they are spendy but i feel worth every penny.  the power noodles are sweet also...very soft tip and excells when the bit is lite.  i have 3 okuma slv 2/3's on a TB sweet pea, power noodle and quiver stick.  i like how the reel feels in the hand but mainly for no lure spin nor line coils.  the 4" handle works great for the fly reel app but the 5" works also and is also my choice for a spinning reel app.  I mainly fish shallow water or 7' or less the fly reels work great, i of course also have some spinning reels tho.  here is a couple pics of my 24" quiver stick with okuma slv and 27" quiver stick with pflueger 6720

]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I see Thorne Brothers updated their site. Now you can build rods the way you want them from blank to thread color right on their site. Go have some fun. ;)

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Yeah I have been looking at their.site.  Their forums are down right now.  Otherwise I could probably find a lot of info there.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:19 PM »
 The site looks cool, but I will still call to place my order. I would rather talk to someone about a custom order then do it on a website, from what I hear their still waiting on rod blanks to come in for their 2 most popular rods and it's been awhile.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Actually the Pac Bay Minima guides are lighter than the Recoils - all my rod builds are using the Minimas - really a sweet guide.  A lot of open water rod builders (myself included) aren't using much else right now.    Added bonus - much less expensive than the Recoils  @)

I have built with the minima's and thery are nice, mostly all I use. Them and recoils are definatly the lightest option. Splitting hairs as to which weigh the least.  ;D

Yeah I have been looking at their.site.  Their forums are down right now.  Otherwise I could probably find a lot of info there.

It is a nice forum with lots of info on thier rods...

The site looks cool, but I will still call to place my order. I would rather talk to someone about a custom order then do it on a website, from what I hear their still waiting on rod blanks to come in for their 2 most popular rods and it's been awhile.

Lonnie, Matt, or Pat...  :thumbsup:

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2011, 09:08 AM »
So I will probably get a 30 or 32 inch quiverstick for an "outside" rod. 

If I was going to get a 24 or 25 inch inside rod would you still go with a quiverstick or something else?

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2011, 12:09 PM »
So I will probably get a 30 or 32 inch quiverstick for an "outside" rod. 

If I was going to get a 24 or 25 inch inside rod would you still go with a quiverstick or something else?

A Powernoodle might be your ticket.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I'd agree with a powernoodle to go great with a quiverstick. Especially if you fish smaller jigs like 1/64, 1/80, and smaller.
I may be the wrong person to ask though, lol
I typically run with these when chasing panfish
2 Quiversticks - one 27in with a spinning reel and a 32in with a fly reel
A 24in Powernoodle with spinning reel, but am adding a 30incher with fly reel this year
A 19in Finesse plus with a TB spring and fly reel. Short enough to sight fish and I also like it for hole hoppin when its windy - I kneel close to the hole and hold the rod tip close to the ice...
A panfish Sweetheart 32in w spinning reel- love that rod for 1/16 and 1/8 spoons and small raps
A 28in panfish Sweetheart with a spring, she was my favorite for hole hoppin till the quiverstick came out.   ;D

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:19 AM »
I own a 26" quiverstick and i LOVE it! Landed many mixed pannies last season and occasionally hooked a decent largemouth.. Quiverstick handled them all no problem!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.