Author Topic: Swedish Pimple hook?  (Read 10919 times)

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Swedish Pimple hook?
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:39 AM »
What type of hook is your preference on the Swedish Pimple?

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: Swedish Pimple hook?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:09 AM »
Last year I began replacing the treble that comes on the Swedish Pimple with a single hook that was colored to match the lure color. I feel I had better success that way than the standard way.
Pete Lewis

NAD42

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:56 PM »
Last year I began replacing the treble that comes on the Swedish Pimple with a single hook that was colored to match the lure color. I feel I had better success that way than the standard way.
I'm going back 20 years or so here, for perch...it can make all the difference, as well as the yellow flipper..was on 'yuna years ago, buddy had yellow flipper with single hook, I had treble with red flipper...he was pulling them out 1 after another...me nothing!....as for lakers in this day in age, now that's a different story  ;D

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:46 PM »
Use the treble hook but as they dull I've switched over to a long shanked, ring eye streamer hook with the barb pinched. Think they work better this way. You got me thinking, probably should switch them all over. Thanks.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:10 PM »
I stick to the single hook...Always. It is a pain always trying to remove 3 hooks out of a fishes mouth and it is less damaging if you want to release the little guys without removing their mouth.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:37 PM »
I use the treble hook that comes with the pimple.   :tipup:
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I use Hali Chains on all my pimples, I like the ones that have the yellow and orange bead thing on them tipped with a magget, I get them at gandr mt. I use the plain Hali chains when I tip them with a fat head or piece of buckeye.  FISH ON
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:14 PM »
I like trebles on spoons. Some cheap spoons you need to put on a better treble, like a sharp gamakatsu, which have trebles down to size 14. The swedish pimples seem to have sufficiently sharp trebles, but they are fine and bend easy, so I have to replace them with a gamakatsu of similiar size. With spoons, even using a hook a size or so larger than the original doesn't hurt the action usually. So if it had a size 14 hook, going up to a size 12 isn't going hurt the spoon.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:56 AM »
I use the treble hook that comes with the pimple.   :tipup:
Those hooks suck. Cheaply made and poor quality. Dull, dull, dull.

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:59 AM »
I stick to the single hook...Always. /quote]

Same here.

Offline scw14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Single hook, yellow flipper, and a perch eye.  Has been a deadly combo for me the past few years.  Make sure you got a spilt ring to tie your line to.  They are a pain to get on, but give much better action.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2005, 08:55 PM »
i use a single hook for perch with the yellow flipper and a minnow head. used treble hook before and a heck of a time with the three hooks or two hooks getting stuck hard. then i had to keep the fish because it messed up their mouths.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:28 PM »
i replace the treble with a #14 treble its smaller and can put on a good sharp hook

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:22 PM »
pimples come with VMC hooks.  i change them out to gamkatsu siwash single hooks

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:25 PM »
 Single hook, makes it easier to get the hook outta a perch's mouth especially when its cold.
Jason

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2005, 02:26 AM »
Make sure you got a spilt ring to tie your line to.  They are a pain to get on, but give much better action.

Just use a snap!  8)

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2005, 07:21 PM »
If you are going to put a split ring on use split ring pliers it makes it a whole lot easier.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2005, 10:00 PM »
what are poers? do you mean pliers?

Offline hayfieldheller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:36 AM »
i like to put the single hook one that is supplied with the lure or use a blood hook to switch it up a little, i've had unbelievable success with those blood hooks, they are very sharp and easy to remove from any fish' mouth. it must be something about that red that drives them nutttttts.

hayfieldheller

may all your flags be flying, and your fish be lunkers

Offline EscapeIsNever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:07 PM »
i like to put the single hook one that is supplied with the lure or use a blood hook to switch it up a little, i've had unbelievable success with those blood hooks, they are very sharp and easy to remove from any fish' mouth. it must be something about that red that drives them nutttttts.

i totally agree...i just switched yesterday to the red and the perch bass and gills started to attack it immediately!!

NEF!

Brian

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2005, 11:19 AM »
For crappie, I use a #8 round hook...Slays 'em!!
Scott Wright

Offline Frank-Ma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:57 AM »
I am in my 70's and been jig fishing over 50 years plus, in my younger days back in the 40's, the old Swed's, Poles, Finn's and Lith's, made a lot of ice fishing lures by stamping them out of car bumpers, most companies had a secret ice fishing operation, chiels, lures and etc stuff, you just did not find ice fishing gear as you today, most if not all was home made, and they all came with a single hook, and the bad part they took a lot of their ideas to the grave, I still have a few around, when I learn to upload I will share them with you.

SINGLE HOOK Boys

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:49 AM »
i upsize the treble one size and usually put red trebles on, seems to get more action then regular hooks in a side by side comparison with my buddy.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:13 AM »
For perch I use the treble hook.   I put maggots on each hook and they last a lot longer between rebates.  Not uncommon to catch 6 or more perch befor I need to rebate.

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:03 AM »
what is the trick to jigging the swedish pimple i have been doing it for a couple years and never had much luck?

Offline David Barber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Always a treble hook.  Can attach more bait to a treble.  And if I were worried about hurting the fish, I wouldn't be fishing.

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:43 AM »
i use mealies on the end of the pimple is there anything else that might work better

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:38 PM »
what is the trick to jigging the swedish pimple i have been doing it for a couple years and never had much luck?
I do a simple drop to the bottom, reel up a foot, jig up and down from there.
I will vary how far and how fast but generally a semi-quick upstroke of about a foot and let it drop free then let it sit for a sec or 2.  Some times it's quicker and shorted lifts just depending on how they react.

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:40 PM »
i use mealies on the end of the pimple is there anything else that might work better
I have found that a wax worm or half of a meal worm work better than a whole meal worm.  What works even better is a perch eye (if it's legal).

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Another singlr hook fan here. I also swith them out to a red hook of top quality. I fing when fishing right around weed edges I do a lot less "dredeging" with the single hook compared to the trebel.Your mileage my vary! DD ;)
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.