Author Topic: Jigging Spoons...  (Read 8643 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging Spoons...
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:53 PM »
  Just got into the whole jigging spoons thing.  Have been using Swedish Pimples, Buck-Shot Rattling Spoons, and Rattl'n Flyer Spoons.  Question is, is there anything else out there as productive as the Buck-Shot and Flyer spoons?  Those two over here seem to bring the fish in from all over the lake.

Jim

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jigging Spoons...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:34 AM »
check out Mcgathy Spoons (slabgrabbers.com) and the Ficious jigs Zitz and Baby Zitz's (ficiousjigs.com). I have caught alot of perch on both.

J-

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Any links you guys...I'm a visual learner... ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:28 AM »
check out Mcgathy Spoons (slabgrabbers.com) and the Ficious jigs Zitz and Baby Zitz's (ficiousjigs.com). I have caught alot of perch on both.

J-

see the red highlighted text

J-

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2010, 03:44 PM »
I've never had luck on buckshot minnows for brookies.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2010, 03:49 PM »
  Just got into the whole jigging spoons thing.  Have been using Swedish Pimples, Buck-Shot Rattling Spoons, and Rattl'n Flyer Spoons.  Question is, is there anything else out there as productive as the Buck-Shot and Flyer spoons?  Those two over here seem to bring the fish in from all over the lake.

Jim

What are you fishing for?  I have done well with spoons for perch.  Typically go with the smallest swedish pimples in chrome colors. 
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Forage Minnow is tough to beat somedays,this year I've had great results on a Slender Spoon,by C J & Spins

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:53 PM »

Jim
try bass chatter bates i put a trailer on with a shiner and use both trolling and ice jigging the sound seems to attract then well macks go wild for them

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:54 PM »
I have to agree... swedish pimple is the way to go. My other choice is small kastmasters 1/8 at most with a dropper hook.  Nothing fancy, just make sure they shine. I have never tried buckshoot or flyers, but they do look cool.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:01 PM »
What are you fishing for?  I have done well with spoons for perch.  Typically go with the smallest swedish pimples in chrome colors. 

We are going for anything BUT trout.  The Buck-Shot Rattle Spoon with the dropper, today for instance, got us channel cats, largemouth bass, 'gills, perch, and a couple of rainbows that hit it on the way down.  Not really targeting anything in particular, just scouting out this lake an hour away and trying to learn it.  Everything is on the bottom for the most part and until you get the fish on the ice, your not exactly sure what it will be since you can get them all out of the same hole.

Jim

Offline litho_hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Lindy Frostee is my general purpose workhorse. Perch, eyes, whitebass, crappie. 

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Forage Minnow is tough to beat somedays,this year I've had great results on a Slender Spoon,by C J & Spins
How is the forage minnow though?? i picked one up because i heard about them. i got it in i think perch color.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:55 PM »
We are going for anything BUT trout.  The Buck-Shot Rattle Spoon with the dropper, today for instance, got us channel cats, largemouth bass, 'gills, perch, and a couple of rainbows that hit it on the way down.  Not really targeting anything in particular, just scouting out this lake an hour away and trying to learn it.  Everything is on the bottom for the most part and until you get the fish on the ice, your not exactly sure what it will be since you can get them all out of the same hole.

Jim

Sounds pretty cool!  Even with spoons I think it can change dayto day.  Changing sizes can make a big difference too.  However, I also believe lures catch more fisherman than fish!   ;D  Can you have too many???
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »

However, I also believe lures catch more fisherman than fish!     Can you have too many???

Exactly... This is what I do. With a collectable spoon display case for 20.00 bucks at the craft store, you can look at them year round.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:13 AM »

Offline daveyg17k

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I bought 2 foraging minnows to try at a local derby this weekend with high hopes. I ended up loosing my tacklebox on my way to the ice. Someone ended up turnign the box in minus the foraging minnows and a few other things, but got the rest back. Caught some nice crappie on a different perch colored minnow spoon, but never got to try the new lures. Will have to get a few more before the end of the season.

Offline a1angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Try JB Lure's Imposter spoon.  Killer. Especially in glow red.
"FISH!"

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Forage Minnows. Pricey but great baitfish image.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I've had great results with open water spoons as well.  Acme Cleo, Acme Phoebe, Acme Fiord, Eppinger DareDevle

Other ice fishing jigging spoons.  Northland Doodlebug, JR's Demon, Gapen Flicker spoon,
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:24 PM »
try adding some jigging raps and some Lindy darters to your arsenal..if you like jigging you wont be sorry :thumbsup:
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Just bought some lindy darters.

Do you tip the trebles with minnow heads or leave them bare?
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:07 PM »
doesn't anyone use Hopkins spoons anymore ?

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Just bought some lindy darters.

Do you tip the trebles with minnow heads or leave them bare?
both..if you are marking fish try bare hook and if they wont bite ,tip it
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:49 PM »
 I have been using alot of jigging spoons mentioned here with success and I think that a Hali jig is also pretty tough to beat. I have it in firetiger and glow.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 26, 2010, 10:15 PM »
It's an old topic but worth bringing up for the season nearing.  Some of the spoons I use are JR's Tackle jigging spoons, or their stop sign spoons.  The smaller ones tipped with a waxie and the larger ones tipped with a minnow head, all catch fish.  They are my 'go to' spoon every time.  I have the Lindy flyers, but have had limited success on those.  A few crappie in the red color 1/4 oz, but nothing compared to the panfish I've caught with JR's spoons.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:46 PM »
I've added the Acme Sidewinder and Fjord spoons and have done well with them as well.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2010, 06:11 AM »
On Lake Simcoe for whitefish & lakers one of the main go to ice fishing spoons is the Williams ice fishing spoons. And yes they work.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.