Author Topic: Tica Cetus Reels  (Read 12680 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Tica Cetus Reels
« on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Thinking of picking one up, which model?  They seem to range from $30 to $50.  I need a reel with a silky smooth drag.  This would be for ice and open water.  What advantages does the more expensive reels have aside from making my wallet lighter???

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Tica Cetus Reels
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 01:12 PM »

The higher price usually means more bearings which usually makes for a smoother reel. You can probably check under the product specs.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »
The $50 model is lots smoother than the $30 model. Its $20 quite well spent.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009, 02:56 PM »
O yes, if lighter wallets are an advantage, I can help with that lots faster the the silly fishing store.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Sorry, the wife has us all beat!!!!!!!!!!!!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I got my wife to pay for the rod I ordered today. But you are right, thats spending thousands to save twenties.

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:25 PM »
I purchased the mid range Tica reel Cetus GV500 4 ball bearing and I relay like it. Its smooth and solid with a great drag on it. I thought it was a good compromise between the 2 and 6 bearing. I'll be buying another one. I did not see the difference between the 4 bearing to the 6 but I did see difference from the 2 bearing. I got mine for $40.
One thing with the Tica reels I was told they are not suited to open water, I don't know why but I will find out soon enough.

You get an extra spool with the 6 ball bearing where as the other models you don't.
This looks like a trend these days where the you have to buy top end to get the extra reel. Is this a smart marketing strategy or will it backfire
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:44 AM »
I have 4 of the GV500. I really like them and will be ordering a couple more this fall. I got mine from Red Rock's Store, Eley Minn. No shipping charge. Only thing I found out, do not fill the spool, the line seems to ge caught under the spool. I filled mine only 3/4 full and had no problems after that. As for the extra spool I would think a person could order a second or third one. A parts list comes with the reel.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I have a sb500. Great drag.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:54 PM »
I have a sb500. Great drag.

Ditto!  I run all SB500's on my ice fishing rods.  Drags are smooth even at extreme cold.

Don't skimp here....the few extra bucks are well worth the aggravation you will have with a cheaper reel. 
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:27 PM »
SB500 here too-- killer drag & the best reel handle of all ice reels IMO
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline 7gjed73q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I modded the handle on my SB500 to be wooden. Used the platanus tree wood. Now it looks even fancier.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:57 PM »
The higher dollar ones come with a metal spool and the cheaper $30(I have 6 of these) have a plastic spool.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I have a couple tica reels for my ice rods only.  They work great on the ice but for a smoother drag and ability to use on open water too, check out the pfluger president.  I own 4 of these, put them on my ice gear and I put it on my small ultralight openwater hook ups.  They can freeze up outdoors on ice on real cold days but my tica's do too, I usally use spinning combos in side my coupe when out doors I go with the centerpin schooley hook up.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2009, 01:01 AM »
Between me and my dad we have ten of the $30 LF500 and they all have the metal spools. I'm hard on my ice gear and these have held up great for around 5 years. Just this year alone i have around 40 days on the ice and they still perform perfect. i've honestly never seen a reason to buy the more expensive ticas. As far as open water, my dad has one on his pannie rod and it seems to work fine.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Picked up an LF500 this year... I was very impressed.  It held up well to pike and bass on 2 lbs. test because of the smooth drag.

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2009, 02:21 PM »
the sb500 is well worth the money.  i own 2 and am looking for a third.  Not only is the drag great the reeling mechnism is smooth as silk...  great ultra light reel and I have no plans of switching.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2009, 01:04 AM »
What company makes this reel, I sell fishing equipment and never heard of it!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:49 AM »

Tica :D  I own 7 or 8 of their reels and they are some of the best on the market right up there with Shimano.  One of the best trolling reels you can buy is the Tica Seaspirit which is a much better buy and better quality than the popular Diawa Sealine and costs a little less.  They also make great larger spinning reels including an awesome baitrunner reel called the Sportera which I use for stripers.  If you troll Lake O for salmon get ahold of a Seaspirit which has a much better drag system than the Sealines and is almost as good as the Tekotas but a lot less $$$ :tipup:
http://www.bigtackle.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=94

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:19 AM »
THANKS for the info!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2009, 04:48 PM »
I have 2 GV500 (only come with 1 aluminum spool), 4 SB 500, & 1 SS500.  I use the plastic spools the SB & SS come with in colder weather.  The aluminum spools seem to hold the cold more.  Not much, but I have noticed less ice up problems since I started doing this.  I stand by Tica Cetus 100%.  They have yet to fail me!  The 2 extra bearings in the SB & SS are just a tad bit smoother too, but if the budget is tight, $35 US will get you a GV.  The LF only has 2 bearings, & I have yet to use one.  Money is not an issue (yet)  ;)!

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I have a sb500 looking for a new home..John
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2009, 07:45 AM »
I like my Shakespeare AGILITY, 7 ball bearings, and a very,very smooth drag, bought at FRANK'S GREAT OUTDOORS.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:00 PM »
I picked up a couple of GV500's off of eBay earlier this week for a good price.  Picked one up post season this spring, and didn't get a chance to use it.  Reel feels smooth, and I think I will be very pleased with them. 

Jeff

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2009, 01:52 PM »
 Snagger where do you buy your gear from?You should try Triple S.My friend is a Salesman for them and does a lot of business up your way.He is in your area once a week all year long.If youre interested, PM me and I will put you in touch with him. They are putting on the ice show in Syracuse in December.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.