Author Topic: Yellow Perch?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
Yellow Perch?
« on: Mar 11, 2008, 07:20 PM »
A lake near me has a weedy/sandy flat about 12 ft deep with crystal clear water [easily see bottom].
Seen many perch and only a handful would bite. We caught about 10 during midday, should've caught more.
Seen sizes anywhere from 5-to about 13 inches. Any suggestions on what jig/lure/or bait we should use to get more?

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: Yellow Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008, 11:47 AM »
what did you use to get the one that did bite?

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2008, 11:51 AM »
spikes

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:10 PM »
what did you use to get the one that did bite?

We used Arnold Fairy Jigs, the ones that flutter.

Offline J FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • perch plucken
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:13 PM »
Try a hali jig and a perch eye. Works good for me.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:50 PM »
You might try a small jig tipped with a single spike; I would use a 3mm gold for starters. Then I would try a small Ratso or Shrimpo, both tipped and untipped. If you are still seeing fish you might try a Spoon or Swimming lure with a dropper and a tiny hook buried in a spike or wax worm. Also if you didn't already, go to 2# Flourocarbon on at least one rig. I've used the Arnold Fairy jigs, and they do make nice custom dropper rigs. My favorite is a size 16 scud hook from the fly tying bench, on a 4-6'' drop.

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:58 PM »
You might try a small jig tipped with a single spike; I would use a 3mm gold for starters. Then I would try a small Ratso or Shrimpo, both tipped and untipped. If you are still seeing fish you might try a Spoon or Swimming lure with a dropper and a tiny hook buried in a spike or wax worm. Also if you didn't already, go to 2# Flourocarbon on at least one rig. I've used the Arnold Fairy jigs, and they do make nice custom dropper rigs. My favorite is a size 16 scud hook from the fly tying bench, on a 4-6'' drop.

Thanks for the info, I have some ratsos but never bothered using them. Have to try a dropper. Are hali's the same thing?

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:02 AM »

We used Arnold Fairy Jigs, the ones that flutter.
well not as agressive of fish ill use spikes on a small ratfinkee jig or friska jig but agressive fish i use swedish pimples or small kastmasters with minnow head or spikes on it
i like heavy jigs because they are a schooling fish meaning the faster you get it back down the better the chances they are still around
"they" being the school ,if they are biteing like crazy i might even use a perch eye it stays on for a couple of fish and you can get it down even faster than having to bait it every fish
good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.