Author Topic: Leader for walleyes?  (Read 7395 times)

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Leader for walleyes?
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:41 PM »
What kind of leader on a tip-up do ya'll use for walleye? Or if any?
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Leader for walleyes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:06 PM »
i use 4 pound fire line works greak samll but strong!!
CoRy

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2004, 02:49 PM »
I use 15# Maxima Ultra Green. Works well and I don't lose many of the pike that steal my bait during the day. If I fished non pike lakes I'd use 10# floro or Maxima.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2004, 07:01 PM »
no leader!!!....regardless of whether i crank for eyes......jig......or deadstick....there really is no practical reason to use a leader......unless someone shows me why.....Grump

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Tip-up... Grump...tip-up. ;)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:35 PM »
I was curious about this too...

Have you guys used flouro? Like/Dislike? What size also?
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2005, 05:25 PM »
I've never used a leader for walleye because their teeth don't cut the lines like sharper pike teeth can.  If I get a pike on I check the line after to make sure there's no nicks.  For walleyes I've used everything from 6 lb mono to 20 lb fireline, without leaders.  Only problem might be in heavily fished areas with smarter fish.  Then straight mono should work OK.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2005, 08:59 PM »
I use the black dacron type line in about 20# test for backing on my tipups and then tie a small barrel swivel on the end of it and then put about 6 or so feet of a lite mono about 6 or 8# test and that way the line you are mainly handling is the easier to handle black line rather than the mono. Then tie your treble hook or lure directly on the mono. This has worked well for me but I suppose it depends some on location too.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2005, 12:07 PM »
I use about 4ft. of 12lb. Vanish attached to my main line with a swivel--and hope a pike doesn't bite. I have at times used a double Vanish leader.....you have a better chance of landing a pike if one does bite.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2005, 05:54 PM »
Six pound P - Line Fluorocarbon leader. I have never had a walleye bite off, just pike and trout. Walleye have a few larger teeth than pike, but they don't have the jaw power and the teeth on the roof of the mouth like a pike. If pike are around, heed bob's advice and go with a heavier fluorocarbon. If there are no pike, six pound is all you need. Use about a four foot leader with a pair of #10 trebles, one sliding and one on the end tied (quick strike style). Three to five inch live minnows.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:11 AM »
6# clear mono, little tiny treble hook
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:21 AM »
Im unfimiliar with the quick strike and was wondering are both hooks in one minnow ; lips and tail or a minnow on each hook? Ive seen pics of the rig but not with bait on it. Thanks.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Thebob

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:44 PM »
Fishing for Eyes, I use 5' of a regular 6# mono on the end of a braided ice line. They don't tend to bite off like a northern or a musky would. Never had a problem with trout eithor, up to about 10 lb.  I have tried using floro, for its low visibility, and it does work extremely well, in the visibility area, but is highly suseptable to abrasion, and a little nick will peal your line like a bananna. You really have to keep an eye on it, and brush gets to be a real problem. I don't like it at all.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2005, 10:19 PM »
Eyes tend to be very line shy so a steal leader just isnt practical especially because walleyes teeth are not sharp like a pike, pointed but not sharp. a 6 foot mono leader on the tip-up line works good.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2005, 06:19 AM »
Only use leaders on tip ups.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:56 PM »
No need for leaders i never use them casting jigging ,trolling nothing strait 4 or 6#test pea line ;D :D

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I use 6 or 8lb. mono.....no problems so far.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Six pound P - Line Fluorocarbon leader.

Enough said ;D ;)
Andrew

MikeThePike

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Im unfimiliar with the quick strike and was wondering are both hooks in one minnow ; lips and tail or a minnow on each hook? Ive seen pics of the rig but not with bait on it. Thanks.

The hook tied directly to the leader will be hooked near the head of the bait and the slider hook near the back. Good for using baits of varying sizes. Check your regs before you use them tho, I know here in PA you cannot use them for ice fishing.

walleyechaser

« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Have to say I dig the tribute to Dimebag.  Pantera kicks butt.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:32 AM »
6 to 8 foot of 6 to 8 pound mono leader looped on to a snap swivel works great. Use a snap so you can change leader with out re-tieing. ;D

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:13 PM »
I use about 2 foot of 4lb test Vanish flourocarbon tied to a barrel swivel on the braided tipup line.  I have a 1/2 oz slipsinker on the braided line above the swivel.  Some of the leaders have small inline floats attached.  If those catch more fish on a given day, I add floats to the others.  In the past, I tried longer leaders and found that the minnow would swim around and tangle in the line down to the slipsinker, as well as the incredible snarls I have had in my tipup bucket.  The short leader doesn't seem to adversely effect the bite.

I also use it on my jigging reels.  Haven't had any problems with it.  You must be sure to get it wet before snugging up your knot, because the heat caused by friction will severely weaken a flourocarbon line.  It is failing to do this that is probably why some have a bad view of flourocarbon lines.

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I usually dont use a leader just high pound test and one good knot...personal preference

Offline Linetrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Here is what i use and just as good as success as anyone using flourocarbon on tip-ups. I don't chance losing that monster walleye or pike to a bite off. http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Three feet, of six pound Fluorocarbon, some split shot, and a number twelve treble!  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.