Author Topic: Need ice....willing to drive!  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
Need ice....willing to drive!
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:04 AM »
What's up guys...I need some ice in a bad way. Is there any fishable ice in KS right now? I'm talking ponds or anything. My short rods and auger need some love...any leads would be awesome. Tried calling up around Glen, but everyone is off and nobody has responded...pretty frustrating....

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need ice....willing to drive!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Anybody know about the Trout pond up there?

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:10 AM »
No. But I bet there will be some next weekend when I'm working  >:(

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:43 AM »
I'm not sure where you live but there's a small lake called wanahoo about 30 minutes north of Lincoln. We started going there last year because we were tired of waiting on ice down here. If you want action and don't care about size, it's a good place to go. We catch 100s of small crappie and bluegill. Bluegill are good size but crappie aren't big. Maybe 1 of every 10 fish caught might make 10"...biggest one we've caught is 11". We've also caught 2-3 lb bass and missed a 5-6lb walleye at hole and hooked into 3 or 4 pike that were anywhere from 35 to 40 " the ones we've seen. Others just broke off before we can see them. Were only using 3lb line and we don't keep anything but it is a sure way of pacify-ing the crave. If you end up going, message me and I can show you the area we fish. Although, I don't think it matters. Anywhere in the trees close to channel edge have fish. It's a lot of fun if you have electronics.

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:11 AM »
I'll be shooting you a pm @Postman. Going to try and get ahold of some one up at Glen again today....Probably going up there sat morning. I know 1 out of 3 places has to have some fish able ice.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Good luck... the staff at glen treat ice fisherman as a liability and are flat out rude. Told me yesterday night that the trout pond only had 1" of ice and no one has been out and ice is not safe. For some reason this year ice fishing in Kansas is frowned on by the state staff, yea it has been warmer than normal but that does not mean there is not safe ice. Last time we had fishable ice i was told by staff at a certain lake that the ice was not safe only to find out that it was 6-7" thick...

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Good luck... the staff at glen treat ice fisherman as a liability and are flat out rude. Told me yesterday night that the trout pond only had 1" of ice and no one has been out and ice is not safe. For some reason this year ice fishing in Kansas is frowned on by the state staff, yea it has been warmer than normal but that does not mean there is not safe ice. Last time we had fishable ice i was told by staff at a certain lake that the ice was not safe only to find out that it was 6-7" thick...
Yep looked at the Facebook page of a lake in December and they said the lake was wide open. Next day it had 4" and a dozen guys fishing it.  I'm not sure what their problem is

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:45 AM »
I'm going in the A.M....for sure. If anybody in wichita wants to roll with shoot me a pm.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:07 PM »
Using this formula and looking at the temp this whole week, I predict 4 in of ice at Kirwin or Glen.
http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow too. Why? Because I have the weekend off.

Offline dkv/brushpile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2017, 06:03 AM »
Postman, have to ask this question because I used to live in Lincoln KS, so I was wondering if you are talking KS or NEB?

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Lake Wanahoo is in Nebraska near town of Wahoo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.