Author Topic: Williams Fork Quality Appears to be Down  (Read 1549 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Williams Fork Quality Appears to be Down
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:49 AM »
So far I've taken two trips to WF to get my laker fix and shake down my gear.  Landed a total of 50 lakers in the two trips and only two were over 17" and very skinny!  Yikes!  I've never been able to catch a big one there but 16-22 were pretty much the meal ticket.  I noticed a decline in size last year but this year has been something else. 

On Sunday I fished a 4.1 mile loop from the east boat ramp, out to the flat where you can see the dam, back on the east edge of the hay field, south past the cut and along the channel then back to the outhouse and boat ramp.  10-14" lakers were everywhere.  Tried the deeper water (70FOW) near the hay field dropoff for two hours with the same result.

I ended up keeping several 14" fish for tacos just to help thin them out.  Numbers were good but quality was very poor.

Anyone else having this problem?  I suggest we keep what we can (8) to help thin out that lake and improve the quality.

Offline ShuMugen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Williams Fork Quality Appears to be Down
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Hate to ask this, but I thought the Limit for Lakers are only Four at Williams forks? and 8 can be kept At Green?? I could be wrong, correct me if I am wrong... I haven't been up there this year but the past couple years its been good to me 
/

Sponsors: OstarMotorSports /1320DTR / Team Shinobi

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Sounds like my experience too! I have quite a few days there while covering a lot of  acreage! Worse than green mtn these days! At least I caught a fat 26"!last January at green!

You would think the pike could feast on those skinny WF lakers? But then  again i began targeting pike at WF last year because I like fishing there! BUT never saw nor caught one all season! Was gonna try today but Its like a blizzard outside my window.

Maybe that fishery is done for? I haven't even caught a rainbow? Maybe I just can't fish that lake with the exception of skinny lakers?

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:28 AM »
I would echo the same. We've fished it for 8 years or so and this year has so far been a dink fest. I agree with you that we should lower our size limits in order to help the populations. We returned all lake trout caught. Landed 10 fish in 4 hours fishing between 5 of us and none was over 14" Should've kept those 12-14" ones. Who else has seen the same trend?? Chime in so we can get a good idea of how this lake is actually fishing.

The regs on lake trout at WF: The bag and possession limit for lake trout is eight fish, only one of which may be greater than 30 inches in length.
Selective harvest works!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Hate to ask this, but I thought the Limit for Lakers are only Four at Williams forks? and 8 can be kept At Green?? I could be wrong, correct me if I am wrong... I haven't been up there this year but the past couple years its been good to me
8 At WF.
<===Lefty===

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Glad to see I'm not alone in noticing the trend.  Also glad to hear the experience of others.

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Yup 8 at Williams fork same as green mtn has been for years now

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:51 PM »
Fished it twice mid October from the boat & again once last week. Lots of fish, no size at all :-(  have fished it pretty solid the past 10 years, and these past 3 trips have produced the smallest fish ever, nothing over 15inches.  All previous trips usually produce several fish in the high teen - 20 range. Largest ever 34in. Superbowl sunday, 8 years ago.  Never keep lakers, except for 4 I kept last season to try smoked. So yes, I am also concern about what may be going on here.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:49 PM »
5 plus years ago we would really see no one at WF and the fish numbers and size were really good. That changed with the popularity of fishing sites and blasting the lake on the net. Where there was almost no one was now loaded with peeps and a lot of big fish where going home. Its not that big of a lake and I really think to many quality Lakers where harvested. Not enough big fish to keep lake in check

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Tom, I reluctantly agree with you. I was talking to my buddy about the very same thing and how we wouldn't see another truck out on the point. Now, we get there at 6:45 and there are already 3 trucks parked on the point, 3-4 parked on the east ramp, and a few even parked on the west side. It's popularity has grown by leaps and bounds. My buddy thinks the ice tourney last year didn't help that situation one bit. At least we got to fish it when it was relatively unknown and much more productive than it is today.
Selective harvest works!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:11 PM »
I've noticed it going down over the years but I don't recall catching (or taking) anything over 22" from there.  It's a fun place to fish while ice grows on Granby and Blue until I can get my snowmobile out.

I wonder if small fish is the reason the CPW went to 8 fish limit years ago?  It seems everyone fishing there is looking for decent eater sized lakers which means the dinks don't get harvested and the larger ones don't have enough forage to grow (or too much competition).  I've never seen a *lot* of fishermen on WF compared to other lakes but, yes, I admit there are more fishermen than in the past. 

Of all the responses to this thread so far no one has said they pulled out a limit of good eaters.  I think the lake is in for some rough years ahead if corrective action isn't taken.

My $0.02.

Offline ITO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Well there really aint many secrets left in CO. I agree with all of the above posts. It's pressure related for sure. Hopefully we can get some imporved reg's on many lakes aound CO. When I see a laker over 20" now, I let them go. I fear we will have a void of big fish in 15 years, cause the locals whack too many trophies up there. Conservation is not real high on their priority list.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Well there really aint many secrets left in CO. I agree with all of the above posts. It's pressure related for sure. Hopefully we can get some imporved reg's on many lakes aound CO. When I see a laker over 20" now, I let them go. I fear we will have a void of big fish in 15 years, cause the locals whack too many trophies up there. Conservation is not real high on their priority list.
So your blaming the Locals? How can you blame local people when so many other people fish it? I fished it back in the 70's and lived in Broomfield. It wasn't a secret back then.
<===Lefty===

Offline ShuMugen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Yup 8 at Williams fork same as green mtn has been for years now

Thanks and all these times that I caught lakers there. I have always returned back my limit than... I guess I'm doing my part of C&R  ;D
/

Sponsors: OstarMotorSports /1320DTR / Team Shinobi

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:33 PM »
just gotta know where to fish, my man.   most of my lakers I caught this season and last have been 16-20 with a few bigger and few smaller ones in the mix.    the bigger ones I found are the ones that youll see suspending on the vex.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.