Author Topic: Granby 2-27-2015 & Strikemaster Magnum 2000 Auger Review  (Read 1839 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Took Friday off and had a great day at Granby.  Not having gotten a big laker this year my buddy and I fished hard for the big ones but were not rewarded.  Checked out a few new spots and am still amazed at how many times small lakers will eat big baits.  Or try to eat big baits.  Brought home a couple of eaters in the 20-22" range. 

There had to be 6-8" of fresh snow on the lake which made it work to walk around and punch holes in new areas.  I was good for punching 3-4 holes and then  having to take a break.  The snow was pushing some water up and it was a little slushy in places though nothing of concern (yet). 

Oh, after 15 years my Strikemaster Lazer was on it's last legs so I broke down and bought a Strikemaster Magnum 2000.  I'm not too crazy about the design compared to the Lazer but the auger worked just fine.

Please take this review with a grain of salt as I haven't had to buy an auger for 15 years so I may be a little behind on how they do things now.

Auger review:

1.  The on/off switch is not on the powerhead but has been moved to the throttle lever.  It has two floppy wires going to it that look like they can get snagged easily and break.  If they do it would be an easy fix but it's not as robust as putting the switch on the powerhead.  It is nice having the switch at your thumb.

2. I'm not sure about the air intake and flooding.  Using it for the first time I was worried about it getting gas in the air line.  There's an air intake/vent tube that stares at you when you add the gas.  Maybe it's not a big deal but I haven't any experience with it yet (the Lazer just had a dumb old gas tank and vented through the gas cap).

3.  The choke has a detent for start and run but it's a bit stiff when trying to find a mid point between the two.  Probably just new and needs to be worked in. 

4.  The auger bit came with a single chipper blade (the Lazer had two blades).  I was skeptical but it proved to rip through the ice.

5.  It started on two or three pulls, had a ton of power and ate up the ice (the only two things that matter, right?)

6.  Overall I'd have the give this auger 4 stars.  I hope I can get 15 years out of it like the Lazer.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Granby 2-27-2015 & Strikemaster Magnum 2000 Auger Review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Ive had a 10" magnum for 4 years now thing rips. Best auger ive ever owned-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slipsliden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:31 PM »
What size auger on your old unit? I might be interested in it if it is a 10"..

Offline fischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I've had the same for about 3 years now.

No problems with mine at all. I prime it more than recommended. Didn't realize there was any other setting between start and run. I thought it was an either/or thing. Love the chipper blade. I haven't sharpened it yet, but it doesn't look like it will be very difficult to touch up.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Chipper is easy to keep sharp.  Lasts forever-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Slipsiden

Thanks for the interest in the old auger but I'm keeping it.  Hopefully you can find one at an end of the season sale.

Slayer - good to hear your endorsement of the auger/blade.  Thanks.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:51 AM »
What size auger on your old unit? I might be interested in it if it is a 10"..

I have a 10.25" chipper for a Strikemaster Mag 2000 that I don't use.  I bought an 8.25" to get the weight down and cut a smaller hole.  An 8" hole is plenty here in Nebraska.

Good fishing,
Keith Walters

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:38 PM »
I have to admit I have never heard of a "chipper".  I did look them up online to see what they look like.  What are advantages/disadvantages over regular auger blades?
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:58 PM »
If you have sand or dirt blown onto the ice, shaver type blades dull really fast.  The chipper style last better if you drill dirt or sand. Chipper blades are easier to sharpen, too. We have low water levels in the winter with bare sand shorelines.  The wind blows that sand onto the ice - a lot!

Keith

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:29 PM »
If you have sand or dirt blown onto the ice, shaver type blades dull really fast.  The chipper style last better if you drill dirt or sand. Chipper blades are easier to sharpen, too. We have low water levels in the winter with bare sand shorelines.  The wind blows that sand onto the ice - a lot!

Keith

Well, that makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  By the way, I'm from Scottsbluff, so I know your part of the world.  Where are you from?

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Gering.

Offline piketrout85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I've had my Strikemaster 2000 for about 13 years now. The past couple of years I've been having carb issues. I had a new carb installed, but it still won't run with the choke off. I usually have to keep it on half choke. I may have to get a new one soon in the near future. If anyone has any other solutions I would be open to suggestions!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I've had my Strikemaster 2000 for about 13 years now. The past couple of years I've been having carb issues. I had a new carb installed, but it still won't run with the choke off. I usually have to keep it on half choke. I may have to get a new one soon in the near future. If anyone has any other solutions I would be open to suggestions!

I've had some problems with my auger this year, and posted the issue of getting it started on the main Chit Chat page, and got some suggestions, including getting the carb rebuilt.  But the one I tried first, and it worked, was to get some Sea Foam and put it in the gas.  It seemed to really clean up my carb and it starts and runs well now.  You can get the additive many places - got mine at Wal-Mart.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I agree on Seafoam.  I started using it when it was $5 a can and now it's a lot more than that.   One year I had a lot of trouble with my auger after leaving the gas in it all summer long.  I finally got it started, added Seafoam to the gas, then left it on it's stand (yes, I have an auger stand) and within 15 minutes you could hear a huge difference in the way it ran.  I've been using Seafoam ever since.  In fact, I may have even learned about it years ago right here on the Shanty.

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I third the motion sea foam is great I have a dirt bike that gets stored all winter and it would not idle add seafoam and 15 min later no issues.

Offline piketrout85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:14 PM »
I completely agree with using Seafoam! It has definitely helped with my auger before, and I'll try it again! Thanks for the suggestions!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.