The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: OLD Nils looking Finbore  (Read 708 times)

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
OLD Nils looking Finbore
« on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:07 PM »
I friend just bought a new 6" Nils master for use with a drill when needed.  He's letting me borrow his other 6" auger which looks like a Nils with the same blue color flight and red cutting head except at the top of the top handle and on the top side of one fluke of the cutting head it says Normark FinBore Sweden. It has the offset handle but it does not fold over like my 8" Finbore.  Looks like the handle screws into the top of the flight and not adjustable for length.  I guess that at one time before there was the Nils it was Finbore.  Looking at it to see if I can get the OE handle off and mount the folding offset handle that is on my 8" Finbore.  Anyone know how to get the handle off this old style?

So an advantage of the Nils is that it will cut a hole straight through the ice without binding up at the bottom as the Finbore/Lazer/Strikemaster style does.  Has anyone tried to file off the downturned section on the outboard end of the lazer style blade to see it it will cut through without hanging up at the bottom of the hole?  Was thinking that the downturned section was put there to avoid a patent infringement with the Nils (? originally Finbore ?) style head.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: OLD Nils looking Finbore
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:02 PM »

So an advantage of the Nils is that it will cut a hole straight through the ice without binding up at the bottom as the Finbore/Lazer/Strikemaster style does. 

I thought one of the benefits of those curved blades on all those augers was to eliminate that binding?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:46 PM »
The binding is because the blade is curved. The auger cuts from the center out, so the center breaks through and the auger binds. No filing is going to stop it from binding.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I have and older Snabb that looks like a Nils. It is original and cuts. I don,t have a use for it so its on the C list.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.