Author Topic: Two nights at the view  (Read 983 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Two nights at the view
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:41 PM »
So this post is gonna be a two-fer. After returning from the overniter at the gorge the kids were just excited to get a nite trip of their own. Told them we would do it friday nite with our departure time being as soon as i could get the gear in the truck after work. Loaded up with only 2 of the 4 boys me and my better half have. The other 2 being the oldest had better plans on a friday nite of course. My fishin buddy took his daughter who has been itchin to get her princess pole on the ice. Got half way up the canyon and realized in my rush to load the truck i left the fish finder  :(  and my lucky crappie pole  :(  (atleast this year) with the lucky jig (only have 1) and i thought it woulda been the bait i forgot which was what i went for when i forgot the other stuff. So we arived at the narrows and seen no one else was there. Sweet!! we can fish the spot i got the 2 crappies last wednesday. The weather was beautiful. Got the boys and girl suited up and down to the ice we go. Set the tents up and get some poles down. Kids take off exploring, sliding on the ice, draggin sticks down from the bank. Never realized how fishing blind was since i have always had a finder of some type and let me tell ya it was pretty frustrating for me  :-\  A few other friends show up with their kids head down on the ice and one of the kids steps right in a hole. Soaked to the knee. So he sits in the tent with the boys and manages to stay warm for the most part. Then from my buddies tent we here his daughter and shes all excited FISH ON nice little 10in crappie on the deck. So now the kids are all eyes on poles and we just couldnt buy a bite for about another hour then my buddy pulls another crappie out another 10in. So now its getting pretty sad cause we just cant catch a thing. Another kid steps in a hole and its time for the later ariving parties to head out. So i get in the tent with they boys and realize the led lantern i brought for lite was not that bright, could barely make out my boys face just on the other side of the tent let alone our poles. Funny thing my fishin buddy forgot his lite totally. so we call it as we cant see nothin. Got home and talked with my girl, decide that we would head back up sunday nite. Went to wally world and picked up some led tent lites that work awsome for only being $8 and that even included battreies. Talked with all the boys and their all in. Loaded up the truck not to forget a thing  ::) and headed up to the narrows. Arrived at about 330pm and packed down to the ice. Set up tents and dropped the lines. I was able to pull my 1st green sunfish and a small 8in crappie but that was it for my crew. My buddy and his daughter managed one 10in crappie, but the big winner was my other buddy that was being very quiet in his tent the whole time he had ten 9-10in crappies. Sweet action. We all missed alot of bites. Kids got bored around 7 so we called it a nite. All in all the kids had a blast even with the skunkin for most of them and they cant wait to do it again. When we fished friday i talked to a couple of guys goin out for the nite bite and one of them pulled a 40in tiger musky the day before. He showed us the pic on his phone, was very impressive. Claimed they had pulled some limits of crappie the same day too. When we arrived today all the people around where we set up had alot of crappies on the ice. Im sure a few of them had their limits when they left. As for the heater probs we had at the gorge just leaving the bottom of the door cracked good solved it. Heaters ran great both nites no probs  ;D sorry no pics this time
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Two nights at the view
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Nice report Musky... sounds like the nite bite bug has bitten you pretty hard.

Sucks about leaving the flasher at home. I couldn't imagine ever fishing blind again. Especially for crappie.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:40 AM »
ya dizzy im diggin the nite bite less crowds and if you can just get them slabs to cooperate can be alotta fun, i will hopefully not leave the finder home again ever!  ;) maybe. On another note the wind wasnt that bad at all when we got there. Was actually warm and calm. Probably the warm before the storm im assuming. BRING ON THE SNOW so i can get the snowmobile going im gettin really sick of walkin
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Even though you forgot some hard deck favorite items you still made it out and enjoyed the hard deck. Sounds like the kiddos had fun on the ice and hanging out...we know all to well about them ice holes and how they can sneak up on one be it an adult or child.  Ya put a few on the deck and just being out is a whole lot of fun

Think'n we'll be making a night time trip or two to the View.  I'd just like to have some thicker ice...I'm a wimp and I'll be the very first to admit it.  Hopefully Mama Nature will stablize her hormone levels and we'll get back to cold to build and thicken up Pineview with some snow as we too would like to get the chariot onto the ice...

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Even though you forgot some hard deck favorite items you still made it out and enjoyed the hard deck. Sounds like the kiddos had fun on the ice and hanging out...we know all to well about them ice holes and how they can sneak up on one be it an adult or child.  Ya put a few on the deck and just being out is a whole lot of fun

Think'n we'll be making a night time trip or two to the View.  I'd just like to have some thicker ice...I'm a wimp and I'll be the very first to admit it.  Hopefully Mama Nature will stablize her hormone levels and we'll get back to cold to build and thicken up Pineview with some snow as we too would like to get the chariot onto the ice...

you know over the years i have always stayed outta the narrows just cause all the pressure it gets and with the machine you have the whole lake. With that being said i have rather enjoyed it there this year. Higher water has made the hike back up the trail do-able for me, really not to bad when not packin the stuff for the whole family. The open water has kept alot of people outta there too. The ice has actually grown an inch everytime i've went up, pushin 8in where ive been fishing which isnt very far out from where the trail comes down to the ice. The crappies have always been present on the bottom with the bigger boys coming thru suspended pretty regularly, just wish i could get them to cooperate  :(  Now about them feet going in the ice holes i can be lucky myself that my big foot wont fit in a 8in hole cause i have tripped up on a few. Them things are like magnets for the kids though. Just the nature of the beast with them holes.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:39 AM »
good on ya for getting the kids out there, sorry you didn't catch more....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.