Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431561 times)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #420 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:07 PM »
  How big of generator?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #421 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:19 PM »
We barely use the generator.  Get by with low wattage items and use a 400 watt power inverter off deep cycles.  Switched the incadecent light bulbs to compact fluroecents went from 120 watts of usage down to 30 watts.  The tv is 65 watts.  So it works well.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:47 AM »
Do any good last night?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #423 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:26 AM »
going to clear lake in a bit  around 11 am       any ideas    farmers or island ?

Offline takasaki

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Dec 13, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Fished north side off the pump house last night. 5 foot of water caught around a dozen yellows and 2 small walleyes. Seen lots of nonbiters. Had to change bait and jigs multiple times to pick up a few here and there.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #425 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:10 PM »
hey crappiebuster was thinking of coming up there soon i know you fish the lake alot and are kinda the local guy on here.  without giving me your spots were would you recommend trying?  i know there are some reefs in the lake and ive fished the lake in the past but havent been for 2 years.  i usually fish the island area but ive never seen a walleye in the area usually just yellows and every now and then a gill or 2. any help would be great.  maybe i could pay you back with some barley water.  i dont think i can miss the camper.  great idea by the way. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #426 on: Dec 13, 2008, 01:18 PM »
The reefs are hit or miss this time of year it seems.  I usually dont move on them until later in the season.  Right now the majority of the fishing is going on the west end of the lake at farmers beach theres 10-12 inches of ice so driving out isnt a problem.  Basically one big flat.  Set up anywhere in the 9-10 foot area basically and cross your fingers.  The yellows have been hitting fairly good around them parts.  With smaller walleyes mixed in.  Did manage one 14 incher last night.  Fairly slow though for the eyes. 

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #427 on: Dec 13, 2008, 04:02 PM »
I know a lot of you on here don't know where Farmers Beach is, you just go south of Ventura on Balsam Ave. turn left onto 235th St. When you see Cedar Ave. turn left, it's a dead end road and go to the end, that's Farmers, you will see the shacks.  Here's a link: 
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ventura&state=IA

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #428 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:38 PM »
just a heads up    at farmers  beach    right as you drive onto the lake    there is a hole thought the ice   looks like some fell thought   dont know i did not see it untill i came off the lake tonight   not a big one but someting to look out for    did ok  to day    i dont have all of that fancy stuff  like most but had fun   learned a lot today so that i talked with thank you  i will get the gatets  sometime soon     lol    and crappy buster    when is  the fish fry      ??????????????/      i better get invited   thanks all roberts

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #429 on: Dec 13, 2008, 10:01 PM »
hey buster thanks buddy.  i was wondering about the reefs.  ill keep that in mind.  so when the camper moves over one thats the indicator huh??   ;D  well hope your fishing is good im deer hunting this weekend since its warm down here in newton so ill be up there soon.  when i come if your at the camper ill knock and pay ya back with some barley water sound good??!!   ;)  ill let you know on here when im comin up and youll have to let me know what kind ya drink to repay ya for the info. 

good fishin   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #430 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Crrick.. Good deal.  I drink anything.  Icefisherman cant be picky :laugh:

Roberts... the only thing that got fried last night was some brain cells...  The dammm fishing was terrible.

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #431 on: Dec 14, 2008, 02:55 PM »
well when i got home cleand fish and   did thay ever taste   good   was comming up this moring but with the weather  i fished some small  lakes around home    did ok  crappy and some blue gills nothing huge but had fun  untill i got out of the hut    and had to chase it dowan   so that was the end of my fishing to day   

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #432 on: Dec 14, 2008, 03:13 PM »
crappybuster      i think the crew was thinking of other fish last night    sure hope it all worked out  lol

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #433 on: Dec 14, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Hahah yeh when the fish arent biting we get our minds in the gutter.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #434 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:17 PM »
Did anybody dare to go out today? pretty chilly...

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #435 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Yep I was out today.  It was a dead sea.  We were crazy enough to move our shack too. Boy that was cold.  Just hitting spots till we get on the keeper eyes.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #436 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:33 PM »
 :)You are a brave man crappiebuster, lol, saw those pics of your shack as well, looks like a pretty slick rig. Stay warm man.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #437 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:48 PM »
We were fishing in jeans and tshirt in the shack today.  But when you went out to relieve yourself it was quite cold.
 If the shantys a rockin dont come a knockin. :laugh:

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:00 PM »
If the shantys a rockin dont come a knockin. :laugh:
Amen to that! :D

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #439 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Not me,have to work all week but may try Sat, that seems to be the best option this weekend. The cold aint so bad but that wind was just downright wicked.

Offline wilson09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:13 PM »
how thick is the ice over at billys reef? I was thinking about pulling my permenant shack out there. Has anyone fished over at billys reef? How is the fishing?

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #441 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Hey all you Ice finatics of nothern IA!

Glad to see the season is being good to you all.
I am hoping to make a voyage up to the great Clear lake the weekend after christmas and was hoping that someone might be able to suggest some lodging that is close and hopefully cheap ???  If there is a super 8 or motel 6 nearby cuz we would like to make a weekend out of it.  Any suggustions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cris ;D

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #442 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:43 AM »

I am hoping to make a voyage up to the great Clear lake the weekend after christmas and was hoping that someone might be able to suggest some lodging that is close and hopefully cheap ???  If there is a super 8 or motel 6 nearby cuz we would like to make a weekend out of it.  Any suggustions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cris ;D
There's a group of us going on Jan. 24-25 that are staying here.

Heartland Inn Clear Lake Iowa Hotel
1603 South Shore Drive • Clear Lake, Iowa 50428 • E-Mail
Phone: (641) 357-5123 • Fax: (641) 357-2228 • Toll-Free: (800) 334-3277 code 26

Ed

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #443 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:50 AM »

There is A Super 8 just off exit 193 on I-35 in Clear Lake.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:58 AM »
heartland inn is right on the lake too, :) with a boat ramp.   on the east end of the lake

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #445 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Thanks guys you have helped a bunch. 

ttight lines
cris

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:40 AM »
The ice I have found on the east end ranges from 10-12 been driving out for 6 days now. I fished billys nov. 26th and there was 3 inches of ice.  Moved our shack onto gilmores to try that.  About 5 days ago there was open water to the North and east of there so use caution theres thin ice and you cant tell.  If I was to drive out id go off the gas station ramp if thats passible and maybe take it out with a 4wheeler first? 

Wheres the keeper eyes at? :laugh:

Offline wilson09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:24 PM »
One of my friends was telling me two of his friends caught their limit of walleyes on a spot we fished last year. They used a gps to get back to the spot only way to find. I have a good general idea where it is at but i would have to show you. thanks for the tip on the ice.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:45 PM »
is that the boat ramp by the gas pump on the dock at cl boats? or the ramp north of the Y intersection gas station?     thought i saw you at fleet farm yesterday.   they were out of the #4 blue/chrome chubbys and blue/chrome rapalas in the largest size.  wonder if thats coincidence.    i know its a producing color for summer on crankbaits.  did manage to pick up the last #4 orange/gold though.

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #449 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:23 AM »

Thanks,

Cris ;D

Lake Country Inn there in Clear lake is a pretty good clean place to stay,I have stayed there a few times on visits...Good rates also

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.