Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431589 times)

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2460 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:50 PM »
If that guy wants to eat that sour *** musky that's his rights! He pays his dues! Better than some illegal eating it!

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2461 on: Jan 24, 2016, 03:48 AM »
 :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2462 on: Jan 24, 2016, 05:04 AM »
If that guy wants to eat that sour *** musky that's his rights! He pays his dues! Better than some illegal eating it!
Yes it is..... I can pull 25 crappie out 7 days a week too, does that make it right?  People who think them musky are some how affecting the crappie/walleye population in that lake are about as smart as the fish they're pulling through that hole. 

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2463 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:41 AM »
I think we can all agree it would've been nicer to see the fish released but it's not our fish and we weren't in the situation. Keeping one muskie isn't going to kill the fishery and there's still plenty of them in there! Back to fishing...cleaned 100 yellows and some crappies yesterday. Is anyone on a night crappie bite?? Not asking for spots just asking if anyone's catching them at night. I've done good really early morning for them...tried night fishing twice and have been skunked both times....And the lake is packed! I bet Baptist Camp had more people on it yesterday than little lake usually has ! Seeing lots of big walleyes being caught!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2464 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Got a message on Facebook that the Musky was "hooked in the gills and bleeding badly so he decided to keep it". Well, that means he isn't fishing 2lb line for yellows. Is it live bait rigs with Dacron? Is it tip ups? If so, that isn't going to end well for the fish. Sad that this guy has come to that. No northern pike in Clear Lake.
He can keep and clean all he wants but the possession limit is exactly one. One. Might take awhile to eat a 48" fish. How many are in the freezer? Hmmmm

The stocking info and netting results say there are pike in clear...
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2465 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:17 PM »
There are pike in clear lake. Was fishing with a buddy last month and caught one.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2466 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:44 AM »
what do you think would happen to fishing in clear lake for future generations if every single musky was released back after it was caught? think in time it would be over populated with them and every other game fish in that lake would suffer! then you could all complain about the rest of the fishing being so bad! his fish! caught legally! over the legal limit! he can do what he likes with it. who care if he is only aloud one in the feezer. he may have that eaten in a week or less and then is legal to keep another. i think alot of people complaining about it not being released are jelous they have not caught one this size. its his right to keep just as it is your right to release. great fish and be proud of it! whether you keep it or relese it thats up to the fisherman that catches it, not up to anyone else. so just congradulate him on a great catch!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2467 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Before this gets out of hand I'm going to squash this, do most of us wish that he'd released it yes. It's definitely his to do what he wants with it since it is his legal right to take one over the minimum limit and it was in season. As far as muskies being overpopulated, they do not breed as often as other fish, especially yellow bass or panfish which will spawn multiple times in a year. We're going to get this topic back on track now and I will be removing any further argumentative posts about the guy who kept the musky. Tight lines all.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2468 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:14 AM »
Do Clear lake yellow bass bite all day long? Cause Okoboji yellow bass are basically done at 10am. I imagine you can scrape a few after that. But once they slow down I head for easier pickins. I am not a yellow bass snob.

Personally, I don't care if people keep a fish or eat it. Its a fish. The state will stock another
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2469 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:40 PM »
They bite all day! I cleaned 200 of them yesterday I caught during the afternoon!

Offline hemann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2470 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:42 PM »
They bite all day! I cleaned 200 of them yesterday I caught during the afternoon!

What kind of size?

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2471 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Please post said stocking and netting info/results so we all can see

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2472 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Please post said stocking and netting info/results so we all can see

http://limnoweb.eeob.iastate.edu/fishpub/length.aspx?lakeCode=CLE17

According to the DNR,,,,, NO Northerns have shown up in their nets or electro shocking.  Hummmm, must not be very many of them in Clear Lake.  Maybe Kevin knows something we don't.  Come on Kevin, spill the beans.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2473 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:26 PM »

Wonder what the difference is. I can't imagine cleaning 200 fish. I've been mad at myself but never that mad
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline timmons22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2474 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:45 AM »
I caught some northern last year at Clear Lake, I'm a long ways from a genius but I do know how to read.. according to the lake details in the fish stocking section they have stocked quite a few northerns in there dating back to 2009... just saying.. but I dont do the netting or shocking

http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Where-to-Fish/Lakes-Ponds-Reservoirs/LakeDetails/lakeCode/CLE17

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2475 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:57 AM »
How many is "some"?  What size were they?  Just wondering, seems odd when none of any size are showing up in the DNR netting and shocking.  I'm not doubting you caught a Northern, just curious how many and size. 
take care,

Offline timmons22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2476 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:10 AM »
I can remember three for sure...ranging from 22"-30"

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2477 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Enough guys, handle your business in private. Not in the public forum, anymore argumentative posts will bring moderation. Last warning.

Offline Crippler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2478 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Just getting around to posting.  We did very well both days this weekend.  Sorted a lot on yellows and kept 20 nice ones each day.  That's all I care to clean and I don't freeze them.  Caught crappies and walleyes too, but threw them back.  A few small perch went back.  One dink silver stayed on the ice.  The talk of Northerns and Musky is interesting.  I got tore off one each night about an hr before dark by something with lots of teeth.  All in all, great fishing and great eating this week.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2479 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Enough guys, handle your business in private. Not in the public forum, anymore argumentative posts will bring moderation. Last warning.

Boy you  Clear Lake guys are a grumpy bunch

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2480 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:33 PM »
I was up last Saturday and did OK.  Caught crappie, walleye and yellows.  Walleye were all small as were most yellows.  Crappie were nice but only got about 8 that were 10" or bigger.  Fun none the less.  Thought it was strange that we caught more crappie in 12' of water than deeper.  And at sun down they completely shut off.  Is there much of a night bite on Clear for crappie or walleye?  We were in 12' of water at dark, should we have been deeper?
Wayne

Offline Crippler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2481 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:09 PM »
I generally fish deeper water for crappies, but catch them shallow too. I think you would catch more crappies, less yellows in 18' versus 10', but that's kind of a generalization.  As far as night goes, I catch far fewer crappies at night.  Walleyes do bite at night, but I'm typically fishing small jigs and spikes/powerbait.  I suppose bigger baits would produce more walleyes at night.  Either way, I think we are due for some late winter slowdown anyway.  I had a lot of non biters this weekend versus earlier in the year.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2482 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:10 PM »
the crappie seem to run the shallower flats during the day and head back deep during early morning and later in the day. just what ive foound from the few times i have been there this year

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2483 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Planning on heading up there tommorow morning. Anyone else going? What's the word on the bite?

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2484 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:58 PM »
I was there today, slow bite and windy on the topside.  Two cars in the ditch on the way home and I got sideways once pulling my enclosed trailer.  I plan to hit it again tomorrow.

I kept 7 yellows that I caught in 8 fow.  Dropped the camera down several holes and only saw fish once.  Didn't catch any out of that hole either, go figure.
take care,

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2485 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:29 PM »
You on little or big lake? Are the roads bad or something? Dot doesn't show anything?

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2486 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:53 PM »
The stretch from Charles City to Mason City is always slick, I slide everyone I go thru there!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2487 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Saw the car with the trailer.  We did well today.  wigglers and tungsten.

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2488 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Have not been to the lake this year. Is anyone venturing out on the main lake or are they all concentrated on the little lake. I know they go to farmers beach, but what about the main lake rock piles, billies, the island, dodges etc. I fished these areas many years ago and had success. Not looking for your secret spots just what are your thoughts on this.

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2489 on: Jan 30, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Don't waste your time on the main lake structure middle of the day.  The dredging has completely changed the winter dynamic on Clear and the main lake is slow this time of year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.