Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431534 times)

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1650 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:41 AM »
I personally don't know how fast the fish grow but I have had some experience fishing when we get a plentiful supply of rain, if it rains enough for the lake to come up and some more weed beds get covered it would most definetly help the fishing in the big lakes in different areas I don't think then we would have a consentrated school of fish in just some areas like we are seeing now.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1651 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Fished the east end hole and billys yesterday.  Marked 1 fish in 3hrs.  Hopefully the dnr is keeping an eye on oxygen levels I put fresh lake water in my minnow bucket because they were sucking air.  They almost seemed worse off after I did that.  Are the aerators back on?

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1652 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:39 AM »
CB this was in the paper a week ago.

CLEAR LAKE - The aeration system on Clear Lake will not be used for the rest of the winter, according to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

The decision was made due to the late onset of winter weather and adequate levels of oxygen in the lake, according to the DNR.

The aerators are designed to reduce the probability of a winter fish kill in an attempt to maintain a high quality fishery and to insure the benefits of the water quality work completed in recent years.

Officials are advising caution should you decide to go out on the lake.

Fisheries biologist Scott Grummer said ice conditions are variable throughout Clear Lake. Unsafe ice exists in areas recently frozen and near pressure ridges.

Grummer said the aeration system will be operated as normal in future years.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1653 on: Jan 31, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Hope they are keeping close tabs on it. :-\

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1654 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:54 PM »
I happen to see ya fishing the ease side looks like you where heading towards Billy Reef when I left, I pulled up in my work van and thought about going out and fishin with ya I was done w/ work, but you where a long ways off shore lol. 

Ya in the past years its been very dead out on the east side of the big lake.  So I wasn't to confident there's many fish out there, I had a friend of mine who shot horizontilly with an old paper graft meter hundreds of feet out there on the east side of the big lake that said there was basically no fish accept for a larger fish roming by itself (probably a musky) every once and a while.  I'm not convinced yet there are many fish just hanging out in the big lake in the ice season.  It seems they are grouped up on the west side moving about and harder to track down than one would think.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1655 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Yeh I dunno what the deal is with the east end they used to be thick over there years back.  Now its a dead sea :-\

Throwing everyting I got at em and still striking out.  Did get a pretty decent tan yesterday tho @)

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1656 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I bet you did lol  ;D Ya I had the itch to go fishin so I went out on big blue yesterday and popped a bunch of holes and found a few fish, I caught only one blue gill kind decent size and had a couple of big bites but by the time I ran over to the pole he was gone :-\ I was thinkin a bass or pesky northern but it was at least fun.

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1657 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I plan on heading out to the little lake bright and early Sat. morning, is the ice still safe out there or are there spots of 2.5" of ice is anyone keeping tabs on the ice levels?  A friend of mine is coming over from Algona and we are going to do an early morning fish I don't think I have ever got the gumshon to fish there early (except staying overnight in the pull behind).  Is the fishing anygood in the morning if so where?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1658 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I'd steer clear of the little lake unless you know where the bad ice was at.  I remember it earlier in the year there would be 7 inches here 4 over there and open over there.  Low light and bad ice isnt a good combination.  Hasnt had any time to heal with the +40 degree days we have been having.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1659 on: Feb 01, 2012, 01:51 PM »
So farmers is good still looking at sat morning

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1660 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Yes that was my next question, is farmers ice still thick enough to walk out on?

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1661 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I just pulled my house off today with the truck.  Its really sloppy but still 13"

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1662 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Anyone fishing on the little lake? Heading out this afternoon. Just wondering how many fow people are fishing. Hopefully ther is still fish I know its been hit hard. Let me know

Offline jplp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your line tight
« Reply #1663 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:23 AM »
the temps are suppose to go down all next week so hopfully that will strengthen the ice on the lake. As of right now what is the average depth of the ice on the main lake?

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1664 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:48 PM »
it was about 6-7 inches in front of the pump house when I went there on wednesday. Thats minus all the slush

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1665 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:27 PM »
headin to clear lake tomorrow morning. headin over to larenzos to see if i can get some walleye or yellows. no one has mentioned anything here on CL. kinda worried if fishin has been slow or everybody is out fishin!

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1666 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:58 PM »
where on the lake is lorenzos?

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1667 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:03 PM »
right by the Ventura access launch. more of the north western part of the lake

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1668 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:44 AM »
drove around lake last nite only 6 sets out-5 on little lake-3scattered out from lorenzo, 1 off grade & 1 off weed west of mcintosh. nobody on farmers or island- 1 off pumphouse almost half across

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1669 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Is that lorenzos in between the new boat ramp and the new jetty?  What is it a reef or just an area?  12 fow?  I did well in that area begginning of last ice season tried it early Jan and found schools upon schools of yearling yellows.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1670 on: Feb 08, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Yes just the park there

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1671 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:18 PM »
went out this afternoon, saw a truck driving around on the lake today and i figured i would be the first to see it go down but never did. did alright tonight caught 2 white bass 1 15" and 1 13" 1 perch and one small yellow...hopefully headin out again sometime this week
 :tipup:

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1672 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I was out last weekend fishing on farmers, I started on some reefs on farmers and headed all the way up to the Baptist camp trying to find fish and it was pretty dead Sat. afternoon.  Then I started heading back towards the peps out on farmers and as soon as I got close to them I started spotting fish.  They sniffed but didn't bite, seemed to just hang out on the bottom and do nothin.  I talked to the Dnr he was doing his fishing report and it sounded like everyone was staying in a hole for about 3-4 minutes and moving around alot and the action was slow.  I left without even a bite...

I notice there wasn't many people out on farmers either very few... That was surprising to me, maybe because of superbowl weekend.  The temps are low again is anyone spotting fish in the small lake or any reefs?

Offline number905

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1673 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Any place in clear lake that rents augers?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1674 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:47 PM »
There are plenty of yellows to be had. I was out with a group of 5 today and caught 206 yellows in 3 hours.
Fish were very aggressive hitting small spoons and cutbait.
We have been focusing on the deeper areas with soft bottom 9-12'.

Sorry no pics snowing and blowing too hard this morniing.

The little lake is full of small yellows, would not waste your time in there if your targeting yellows.

Good luck.

YTD: 1689 yellows, 3 walleyes, 5 catfish

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1675 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:35 PM »
West of the pumphouse lucky or farmers area?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1676 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Crappie,

I started fishing a little farther east. ;)

I will be going back out weds. if you want to tag along.

luckydog

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1677 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I'll be in Minnesota Wednesday but should be back thurs depending on fishin.  After that I'll try and make it out there alot more.  Anyone been fishing north shore fishermans reef area?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1678 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I saw one shack set up over there yeaterday morning. They never moved..... :-\

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1679 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Where's fishermans reef?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor