Author Topic: Laker Rod Suggestion  (Read 5141 times)

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Laker Rod Suggestion
« on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:57 AM »
I read the previous suggestions on rods to choose from but I have not been able to find them in stores. I really hate to buy a rod sight unseen but I might have too. I feel that my current rod is too stiff. The lakers that I was catching last year were mostly just over 10lbs and under 32". I did however hook into one that had to of been over 15lbs. I'm looking to buy 2 rods. I was thinking about going with a Fenwick MH in 36" and 42". The HT Laker Rod in 38" and 44". Or the Frabill Ice Hunter Rod in 38" H if I can find it. I just want something that's not so stiff but can still handle a big fish.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Laker Rod Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Nobody? Hoping to place an order soon so I can have them ready to go come first ice.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Thorne Bros. The Professional--  baitcast or spinning. One of the 1st dedicated laker rods
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Thorne Bros. The Professional--  baitcast or spinning. One of the 1st dedicated laker rods
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now it's just out of my price range.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:58 PM »
If you want to avoid a stiff rod definitely try the Fenwick MH.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2015, 11:37 PM »
have you tried ice slammer rods in a medium heavy action? or heavy? try sportmens direct if you have not  there in the area were you live...

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:25 AM »
have you tried ice slammer rods in a medium heavy action? or heavy? try sportmens direct if you have not  there in the area were you live...
I have the ice slammer rods in heavy and they are just too stiff.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2015, 04:28 PM »
I have the ice slammer rods in heavy and they are just too stiff.

I was wondering that cause they are stiff and fast actioned... what about ht ice blue series rods in a heavy or medium heavy? I have the medium ice blue rods and they are a heck of a softer then my medium heavy ice slammers mite be worth a look see? maybe a mh  ice blue?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I have a 32" Clam Dave Genz split handle M/H and its pretty sweet, maybe look into those RR.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2015, 04:57 PM »
I was wondering that cause they are stiff and fast actioned... what about ht ice blue series rods in a heavy or medium heavy? I have the medium ice blue rods and they are a heck of a softer then my medium heavy ice slammers mite be worth a look see? maybe a mh  ice blue?
Actually I think I might go with the HT Laker Pro Rods. Someone recommended that rod in a different post.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Actually I think I might go with the HT Laker Pro Rods. Someone recommended that rod in a different post.

I have a couple ht tounge rods to that are bait caster rods there softer then you think and there extra heavy action cause there a softer fiber glass action. kind of like the older ulgy sticks...I don't think it would be a bad purchase my self so good luck on it...  to bad I don't own it to confirm it... 

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I just picked up a 48" MH HT laker in spinning configuration. Wiggle test seems good, have to get a fish on it and see what happens, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Make sure its a carbon/graphite blank. Not Fiberglass. Length of the rod depends on what you're fishing in/out of. Other than that a MH rod should be all you need. My 32" MH Walleye TB rods double for Lake Trout.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:49 PM »
I really like the Jason Mitchell 'Mackinaw' rods.  I use mine for both walleyes and lakers, not as big as you are getting them but up to 8 lbs and they handle them well with great lure feel.  I am in the process of building another rod the same style but will only cost me $24 to do it myself.  Still waiting for the blank to come in the mail and hoping it has a softer tip for walleye fishing.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Got a 28" pike on my laker HT this afternoon, jig and minnow under a bobber. I like the rod a lot! I prefer a rod with a little more length and a little more muscle than most seem to prefer for ice fishing.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:49 AM »
They also come in a 32in. rod. Have two of the 44in., two of the 38in., and one 32in. of the laker pros. Decent enough rod for the money. Definately less stiff than the medium heavy graphite rods I have.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:54 AM »
They also come in a 32in. rod. Have two of the 44in., two of the 38in., and one 32in. of the laker pros. Decent enough rod for the money. Definately less stiff than the medium heavy graphite rods I have.
I ended up getting a 38" and the 44". They seem to be a pretty good rod. I'll also be using them as a pike rod. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use them this year.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I use my own custom made 42" rods.
They will most likely be out of your price range though.   :'(

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:33 AM »
I have two rods  ice blue  and laker special .

I really like the ice blue as it has large eye, as they don't freeze up as fast when out side the tent.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline snoprojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:26 AM »
I really like the Jason Mitchell 'Mackinaw' rods.  I use mine for both walleyes and lakers, not as big as you are getting them but up to 8 lbs and they handle them well with great lure feel.  I am in the process of building another rod the same style but will only cost me $24 to do it myself.  Still waiting for the blank to come in the mail and hoping it has a softer tip for walleye fishing.
How did your rod turn out? What Blank did you use?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.