The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Van Everest  (Read 2310 times)

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Van Everest
« on: Mar 22, 2023, 04:46 PM »
Went for a ride today since it was so nice out. Went to van everest access and was surprised to see a guy out fishing north of the ramp about 200 yards off shore. Crazy

Offline KevinM68

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Van Everest
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2023, 08:26 AM »
What's crazy about it?  Me and buddy fished it yesterday and headed south.  From the access area south to Bean point there is 10" of ice, 8" of good ice and 2" of white junk ice on top.  It was very consistent until you hit Bean point, from there south the ice is 8" of all white junk ice which will not last long.  I am pretty cautious on the ice but have no problem being on foot on this amount of ice.  We didn't walk more than 25 yards at a time without drilling a hole because of concern of consistency but it really didn't change until south almost 3/4 of mile.  Been a rough year for ice but there are still plenty of places with safe ice on foot, although today's rain will not help. As always, everyone should check ice for themself and not rely on ice reports like mine.  Unfortunately, the fishing wasn't great.  Be safe.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2023, 10:06 AM »
What's crazy about it?  Me and buddy fished it yesterday and headed south.  From the access area south to Bean point there is 10" of ice, 8" of good ice and 2" of white junk ice on top.  It was very consistent until you hit Bean point, from there south the ice is 8" of all white junk ice which will not last long.  I am pretty cautious on the ice but have no problem being on foot on this amount of ice.  We didn't walk more than 25 yards at a time without drilling a hole because of concern of consistency but it really didn't change until south almost 3/4 of mile.  Been a rough year for ice but there are still plenty of places with safe ice on foot, although today's rain will not help. As always, everyone should check ice for themself and not rely on ice reports like mine.  Unfortunately, the fishing wasn't great.  Be safe.

Be safe, good luck.
I put my gear up and readying for boat fishing & mountain biking now.
Tight lines!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2023, 06:27 PM »
Great advice Kevin. Walking with a spud bar and you can hear when ice changes.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.