New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1342404 times)

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11550 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:01 AM »
LG is relatively close proximity to two huge cities and we see our fishery become a noisy messy circus every summer with tourists. Early hard water season is our one escape. Felt good to find empty parking lots yesterday at 530am.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11551 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:27 AM »
LG is relatively close proximity to two huge cities and we see our fishery become a noisy messy circus every summer with tourists. Early hard water season is our one escape. Felt good to find empty parking lots yesterday at 530am.
completely understandable, no different than anywhere else. I know I don't share reports of my local first ice spots. I found the information I was looking for and with this forecast it won't be long before there's plenty of options

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11552 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Most ice fisherman on this site that fish lake goerge are tight wad posers. You can fish lake george in some of the bays. If you are 4 hrs away, yes there is ice and plenty of fish in lake george for all.
A lot of pages on this thread to say "tight wad posers". Guys always more tight lipped early ice. It has always been that way. I dont think anyone enjoys crowded parking lots and seeing ton of other guys in same fishing area. Yup,  thats too bad for sure but sometimes that can be avoided. Not announcing everything on interwebs is a start.  People unfortunately learn it the hard way.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11553 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:20 AM »
Most ice fisherman on this site that fish lake goerge are tight wad posers. You can fish lake george in some of the bays. If you are 4 hrs away, yes there is ice and plenty of fish in lake george for all.

And there’s plenty of ice on surrounding lakes if you make the trip and feel uncomfortable heading out

Offline Hardwaterhungry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11554 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Does anyone have any info about the Northern Basin.  Are things locked up near Hague?

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11555 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Does anyone have any info about the Northern Basin.  Are things locked up near Hague?

Doubtful, here is what I was dealing with on the south end. Sketchy!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11556 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:27 PM »
No
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11557 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Anyone have a huletts landing update. Give me a pm.
I don't mind telling, Its a big lake. Drove the west side from LG all the way to Rogers Rock yesterday. There were guys fishing the Hulletts area from near Vicars Island all the way up to Snug Harbor Marina. Can't tell you how much ice though. There was still open water in spots from Arcady Bay up to Rogers rock. Probably froze last night but it definitely wouldn't be safe yet.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11558 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:28 AM »
I don't mind telling, Its a big lake. Drove the west side from LG all the way to Rogers Rock yesterday. There were guys fishing the Hulletts area from near Vicars Island all the way up to Snug Harbor Marina. Can't tell you how much ice though. There was still open water in spots from Arcady Bay up to Rogers rock. Probably froze last night but it definitely wouldn't be safe yet.

I saw the same thing mike, much nicer then me with the reply, I had 7'' of ice where I was yesterday down south when I measured out still open water north basin and south basin tho, snow dogs where out in area by me yesterday lake was popping and booming hard

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11559 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:33 AM »
tight wad "posers" keep a lake good and keep the pressure to a minimum, the lake was awesome for so many years because of us posers its on a downcline if you haven't noticed. you must not be a poser cuz you call everyone you know to all set your 7 traps to lock down an area because there are too many loose lip posers out there (like yourself) who all have similar mindsets and all catch equally as little to no fish

Offline Bern73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11560 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:25 AM »
I don't like when people post some Bs about "ice thickness" , "ice condition" and safety blah blah blah.  If you don't  want people to know , do not post anything!! Or post like honest person.

Ice thickness and condition? - unknown
Location? -  unknown
Bait and tackle -unknown
People around? -I Don't remember.

Fish?  -  yes,  if you go fishing more often. (and stop posting)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11561 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:39 AM »
I don't like when people post some Bs about "ice thickness" , "ice condition" and safety blah blah blah.  If you don't  want people to know , do not post anything!! Or post like honest person.

Ice thickness and condition? - unknown
Location? -  unknown
Bait and tackle -unknown
People around? -I Don't remember.

Fish?  -  yes,  if you go fishing more often. (and stop posting)

Agree man get off the couch don’t be lazy, good work on the fish!

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11562 on: Jan 24, 2022, 02:57 PM »
Some of us ask for an ice report because we live 2 to 3 hrs away. That’s why it’s called reports and conditions. If your gonna be an asshole then why follow these pages. I work 6 days a week and live 2 hrs away. I don’t have the luxury of just driving up to check ice conditions.

Offline Flyingmaggot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11563 on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:49 PM »
I love lake George. Love the fishing,  the scenery,  the challenge and the reward.  I have found so many folks to be a lot of fun, locals, and those that drove a great distance. I've also run into people that were Richard heads and I don't understand, nor do I really care. I, like most of you(I'm assuming) work, and yes, I will take time off for fishing.

But, I don't have any urge to be the first one on the lake, or the last. Nor the first or last one in it each season lol

I fish year-round, different methods, ways that I enjoy. It's like my therapy, or whatever you'd want to call it. That's how it's been my whole life.

I'm observing, in fishing lately, this tendency to be a karen. I mean. I'm all for anybody doing there own thing, hell. Everyone here got into fishing/ice fishing a different way. We each have our way of doing things and it works for us because we enjoy it. If we didn't... well you get the picture.

What I'm getting at is that, this isn't Facebook for a reason, this isn't fish-tinder. Improving your fishing or acquiring information. Maybe develop a friendship with someone, be friendly. Or don't. Either way, just try to think about your fishing life, whatever that may be.

Think about how you got into fishing/ice fishing. Or better yet, 'who' got you into ice fishing. Remember the first time you went out and all that you didn't know,  and where you are now.  It doesn't come overnight. People that get on here and ask for specific spots are seemingly oblivious to a time old tradition of fishing. Typically you'll get a joking response. On the flipside, if you come on and call people tight wad posers, don't be shocked when nobody wants to share information with you or chooses not to post because you're being richard(or karen).

Sorry for the rant. I was reading this, as I do so often, and I just grew so annoyed. I had to post something for my own sanity. Lol

As always though. Stay safe,  and tightlines!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11564 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Some of us ask for an ice report because we live 2 to 3 hrs away. That’s why it’s called reports and conditions. If your gonna be an asshole then why follow these pages. I work 6 days a week and live 2 hrs away. I don’t have the luxury of just driving up to check ice conditions.
I live 3.5 and 4 hours away and all I'll say is be active in the forum, stop and help guys on the lake if you see some one in need. spend money in the local shops and make connections. I have a few local connections and 90 percent of the time don't need to rely on public forums or Facebook for reports. Works for me because we know what happens when hundreds or even thousands of people browse the forums without even joining or adding anything to the forum. Think we have all seen different fishieries drastically change over the last 10 years of social media. So if you wanna call someone asshole for not spoon feeding reports for the entire internet so be it. I personally have no problem with it and I do the same with my local waters. I have no problem sending a pm to other active members or sharing information with fishing buddies that also share with me but that's about it

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11565 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:48 PM »
I live 15 minutes from lake george and would rather drive into Vermont and fish than deal with the circus.

The entire place is a joke.    I can't imagine driving 4 hours to fish lake george.  4 minutes maybe.
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #11566 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:05 PM »
I live 15 minutes from lake george and would rather drive into Vermont and fish than deal with the circus.

The entire place is a joke.    I can't imagine driving 4 hours to fish lake george.  4 minutes maybe.

MDougla, don't be posting any more negative info. about LG, otherwise people might start to believe it and they will start fishing in your favorite spots instead.  I am already doing that, by the way  ;D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11567 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:38 PM »
If you live that far away and can't get the info you are looking for, try a local bait and tackle.. They will at least be able to give you an idea of ice thickness. I think the year of CoVid and the extra 100000 hunters and fisherman who just started the  sport and were out of work and overran the waters and woods have shut people down this year. Last year was beyond insane in NYS IMO
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11568 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:37 AM »
I’m scared to ask because of all the comments but I’m wondering if someone can let me know if Pilots Knob has some ice and if you know how thick it is?  I fish by myself most of the time and I’m planning on coming up on Thursday and I don’t want to walk out when it’s dark out if it isn’t safe.
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11569 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:23 AM »
I’m scared to ask because of all the comments but I’m wondering if someone can let me know if Pilots Knob has some ice and if you know how thick it is?  I fish by myself most of the time and I’m planning on coming up on Thursday and I don’t want to walk out when it’s dark out if it isn’t safe.
[/quote    checked it yesterday .... pressure cracks with  open water everywhere... now covered with an inch of snow so it is hard to see what has opened up supposed to be very cold tonight and tomorrow so it is making a lot of ice but the pressure ridges are popping up too....I would be very careful walking in the dark...

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11570 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:37 AM »

Don’t ever be afraid to ask…..
Haven’t fished there in a couple seasons. Personally, I’d get there early for parking and wait until daylight to access. Spud, spud, spud. LG ice can be tricky.
Good luck up there👍

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11571 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:00 AM »
Wow Honky, just WOW.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11572 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:05 AM »
last I saw that area over deepwater was open Sunday still holding the heat still a little better than other places

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11573 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:09 AM »
Wow Honky, just WOW.

maybe I'm just much more serious then most I know for a fact most don't have the same mindset I do but maybe its just coming from a cut throat  fishery I was raised in sorry for negativity thats just how I see it more ppl on lakes = less fish for everyone maybe even no fish eventually and harder to catch fishes a given, some don't understand that and never will. don't be upset that the truth is the truth some will back me some will argue and that is what it is thats just the plain facts less ppl on ice early and the longer the fishing is good some don't ever experience it so its hard to see my side of it
honkey out

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11574 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:23 PM »
I think we need to all step back and take a look at what is going on with the big picture. We as a country are more divided than ever, do we as sportsman (people) need to continue the divisiveness between ourselves? I completely understand both sides of this quandary. I am one who comes to Lake George for a few days a year as a fishing vacation. We have been coming up there for since the mid to late 90's. We travel nearly 5.5 hrs. I will always reach out to a few folks up there trying to get an idea as to what to expect. I do however PM them, yourself included Hardwater, and I have had nothing but positive responses. I understand that there are many levels of commitment to the sport. I don't understand being aggresive, on either side of this subject. If someone has a safety concern and is only looking for info that they will have to make a decision as to making the trip, or staying home based on accumulated info, what is the harm in telling them ice conditions? I don't believe that you should ask, nor should anyone have to divulge locations, tactics, etc. I love the area, the lake and many of the people that I have come to trust for simple info so as to better plan our trip. If someone rubs you the wrong way with their inquiries, simply ignore them and move on. Lake George is a big body of water, many of the folks traveling a distance probably don't have the means to get away from the crowds anyway. We fish out of Hague and really don't see any issues with crowding. Understandably it is always the last place to freeze. I will extend a thank you to all the folks that have helped myself and my family enjoy the area for many years and hope to continue the seasonal rapport that I have with them. Basic kindness among fellow sportsmen is slowly being lost, it is a sign of the times, it doesn't have to be. Good luck to all' and be safe out there.       

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11575 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:04 PM »
It has to do with the amazing amount of lurkers (I was one for a few years), and the fact that people do not realize that if they go back a few pages in these forums the same questions are asked over and over again.  PM is the way to get info and to do that you need to build some relationships and try to contribute to the thread in a useful way.  Most of the negativity is not really directed towards the people asking, but google gives this same inside info to non-members too, so putting it out there just creates a bigger circus year after year.  I only fish here a few times a year and it is pretty far for me too (5-5.5 hrs).  I certainly find that LG can be more hostile than other places, and I know it is not bc of me, but the other inconsiderate people that abuse the resource.  That said, there are also some very friendly and knowledgeable folks that frequent LG as well.  My suggestion is to read the forum before asking the same question John Doe asked 3 posts before you and ask more informed questions and let people know that they can PM you if they do not want to broadcast the info to the whole world.  More fisherman is a catch 22.  It s good that the sport is growing, but many of these people have no idea about the etiquette of the water.  I am sure it royally pisses off the people that just want some tranquility on their home water.  Respect the resource and the local fishermen.  Do some research too. 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11576 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:31 PM »
I’ll provide an update this weekend, if I don’t fall in and this thread isn’t locked by then…

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11577 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:04 PM »

if you only saw the local places we have to deal with. Sure some hidden gems but any water with a name forget about it. 20-100 acre ponds and lakes with dozens of guys out there to catch 15-20" pickerel, dink bass, dink gills, maybe get lucky with a couple 10" perch or crappies. Our only lake trout reservoir we can ice fish freezes maybe once every 10 years and is a circus when it happens with 200-400 guys all set up within a half mile of the only access point as no motor vehicles allowed. So yeah lake george is worth the drive to get away for a few days. Plenty of lake to get away from other groups, and pretty good fishing when you do get away from the popular spots. Sure locals have better spots.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11578 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:46 AM »
Agree with scouring the BS thread and conditions archives. A lot of good info in there. I read the whole thing when I started on this forum.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11579 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:44 PM »

Today from Top of the World Golf Course, French Mt. A few guys at Harris, and a few out toward Diamond (didn't notice any wheelers). No one at FA Beach, but there were some tracks going out about 50 yards and turning around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.