The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Wont Idle  (Read 886 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Eskimo Wont Idle
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Two days old, started it yesterday and it ran fine. Today it wont idle.

It will start with 4 or 5 pulls and just chug chug chug shaking real hard like its starving. Wont idle at all on choke. It will idle on run for anywhere from 5-30 seconds and then die. If I give it just a tiny little bit of throttle, just barely touching the lever, it will even out. If I let it back to idle it dies. If I give it full throttle it will run balls out without a sputter, and then as soon as I let it back to idle it dies.

Brand new non-oxy 91 gas, viper oil mixed 50:1. I pulled the plug and it has black oil on the plug but not sludgy so I know its getting oil.

If I prime it just once, it wont start for 7 or 8 pulls, and then it takes another 3 or 4 to get it to idle.

??? ???

I'm going to let it sit for a while and then try it again I guess. Is it possible I over primed it today and flooded the filter? How do I take off the filter to check?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Eskimo Wont Idle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:56 PM »

How do I take off the filter to check?

There should be instructions on the manual that comes with all 'MO's.

As for that stuff on the plug, I've already mentioned that, several days ago, before the auger arrived.     :whistle: ;)2

Good luck.

Offline littlenoodlerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:00 PM »
All I can say is "Ice Gator".  It starts every time.  Push the button and drill a hole.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Sounds like the idle RPM needs to be adjusted just a touch.  Look down on the auger and through the slots in the top of the air cleaner cover, you'll see a Phillips head screw.  Screw it in (clockwise) to raise the idle just a bit.

It is definetly possible to over prime that engine.  Only prime until the bulb feels firm and most of the air bubbles are gone in the hose going to the air cleaner.  Its usually 3 or 4 pumps on mine.  If it doesn't start, its probabbly flooded.  Hold the throttle open and try to start it again. 

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Mine it is one or two primes and she fires on first pull. Never had to use choke on mine yet. As for the way it is running almost sounds like something bad was in the fuel. Try the Idle screw first.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Okay I let it sit for a half hour or so after I posted this and then went to start it again. I left it on run, switch on, and 3 pulls it half started and 4th it started. Ran A LITTLE better, but only for about 30 seconds and then it started shaking and died. I restarted with two pulls and it idled at a noticeably higher RPM for a little bit, I gave it throttle and it came back down and idled. I hit the off switch and nothing. Kept running. Of course this scared the hell out of me so I rocked it back and forth and nothing, kept running. I revd it back up and let it down, and the switch worked.

I then went and got my new fishing license and did some errands, just came home right now and tried it again. No choke, 2 pulls and it started. Ran A LOT better, but still started to bog down a bit after 30-40 seconds of idling. By listening to the RPMS it is idling faster for the first 10-15 seconds and then slowly dying off, and if I touch the throttle lever just barely it will bring it back to where it started at and idle perfectly fine.

I think I need to adjust it a tad bit higher. Is that the phillips head with the spring on it, at the end of the throttle linkage?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Okay, I just turned the screw about 1/2 turn clockwise and it is running MUCH better.

Now I have a whole new problem. My on/off switch isn't working. I switch it to off and it wont shut the auger off. I have to rock it back and forth 5 or 6 times for it to kill, the last time I had to put the choke on and bog the engine for it to turn off. And here's the real kicker, with the switch on "off" I can pull the cord and start the engine  ??? ???
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:08 PM »
I think I have it all figured out. The throttle adjustment helped a ton. It starts with one pull and idles great now. The kill switch is still functional, I just have to push it to off and then press down real hard on it and it kills the motor every time. I'm going to call eskimo on monday and see about getting a replacement switch under warranty.

I did test it, and if needed I can pull the plug wire to kill it no problem.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:11 PM »
There should be instructions on the manual that comes with all 'MO's.

There isnt. There has to be a trick to taking the air filter cap off. The left side pops right off when the choke lever is down, but I cannot for the life of me get the right side to unlock. It says in the manual that the air filter should be checked every 8hrs of use, and has instructions on how to clean it.

I poked at the damn latch for 20 minutes earlier and cannot get it to unhook on the right side.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Sounds like the switch wire is loose. No need to change switch if the wire is loose.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I traced it all the way back, its tight on all connections including the bottom of the switch.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:35 PM »
The air filter main rear body, may need squeezing inwards from each end, slightly, and then, pull straight out both ends evenly on the cover.

We need smaller fingers, ha.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:05 AM »
You're right.  No trick, just a poor quality fit.  I had to remove mine with a small flat blade screw driver the first time and file down the locking tab a bit to make it function properly.

Sounds like you've just about got this beat.  Hopfuly Eskimo will just send you a switch so you can replace it yourself instead of sending you aff to a service center.

If you're forced to deal with it yourself, consider installing a momentary kill swith.  Hold the switch to kill it and when its released, it automaticaly returns to the run position.  I made this change on mine and I love it!  One less step when firing her up.  No more pull, pull, pull, pull, pull, pull, awwwww crap, the switch is off!

Q

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Tell Eva to get that switch out to ya quick!!! Should be able to pull that "Air filter" silly piece of foam right out. And ya, couple of primes is good. Easy to flood. 'MO number:1-715-822-2415
Ext 146; Eva.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Auger ran fantastic today! Chewed the 16-20" of ice like it was nothing. Started up reasonably easy, never had to use the choke all day. Idled great with the throttle adjustment. Drilled probably 30 holes today and the clutch only slipped once (manual says it may slip for the first 2 hours of use).

On/off switch is a little touchy still. I have to push it to off and then push it a little further for it to shut off. I'm going to contact eskimo about a new switch monday.

I didn't know which way to lay the auger, so I put it gas tank up, with the choke on, and it didn't seem to flood anything. No gas leaks either. Transported it in a SUV and did not smell any gas.

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.