Author Topic: white bass  (Read 11030 times)

missfishylicious

white bass
« on: Feb 29, 2004, 12:59 PM »
look at the size of this one she's not lined up good in the picture actually 16 1/2" I couldn't remember if they were aloud in the tourney so I took her picture with the card and put her back in oneida lake

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: white bass
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Nice Bass Ms. Fishy.  ;)

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

peple of the perch

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2004, 05:11 PM »
its really fat

missfishylicious

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Miss Fishy- Nice fish!  I've run in to them in Onieda before during open water but never through the ice, boy do they fight!  Do they school up in the winter like they do in the open water?
I don'y know that was the only caught I was shocked at the size we get them in the summer to but never 16 1/2 "  ::)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2004, 05:58 PM »
They are a lot of fun on light tackle.  Wish that we had them in Maryland.  We have stipers, hybrids, and white perch which are all fun, but those seem to be perfect for light tackle...a little bigger than white perch and fight better too.  I've caught some in my day, but have never eaten them.  I've eaten white perch though and they're really tasty.  Miss Fishy (or anyone), do white bass taste pretty good?  How would you rate them compared to other panfish?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Ice Troll

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2004, 07:49 PM »
MissFishy,

Very nice fish. Its fun catching a trophy fish like this and then letting it go, isnt it. Makes it that much more special and keeps you coming back for more. Thanks for the opportunity to see a white bass for the first time. They are very beautiful fish.

Ice Troll

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2004, 06:52 AM »
Gee, I guess I'm kinda sounding like a meat hog here.  Didn't see that she put it back...sorry :-X  DOH!  I do confess that I eat a few panfish and trout during ice season (and don't feel the least but guilty about it and shouldn't), but I C&R everything during open water...everything.  Just my thing, don't expect others to do the same except to obey the laws. 

For the record, I keep about a dozen fish or less every now and then during ice season, just enough for a few meals to feed my family. 

Troll, I'm still crackin up about last week ;D
Kevin Wilson

missfishylicious

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2004, 08:10 AM »
theres no such thing as meat hog and yes I have eaten white bass there about like regular bass not as good as gills or perch but ok they fight like tigers and I read in a book that they get up to 17" so I guess she was a trophy gut I don't keep fish I don't like to eat I'm spoiled only like perch gills and eyes  ;D oh and I think I forgot to mention my hubby caught it but it was on my pole while I was looking for perch ...     JIG AND MOVE  JIG AND MOVE

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2004, 09:04 AM »
I always knew those to be called "Silver Bass"

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Nice Bass MsFishy
Its Ice Now!

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2004, 07:50 PM »
great fish msfishy never thought that you could get white bass through the ice.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:01 AM »
Miss Fishy, there are some hogs out there... But I guess if they are all eventually eaten, they aren't wasted, so in that sense, you are right.  It does irritate me that some people keep more than they really need and even more when I hear of those people throwing fish away because they have freezer burn.  But that is for a different debate on a different thread and possibly a different site...

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Kevin Wilson

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:27 PM »
Wow thats a bueaty. MEat Hogs hmm well I keep fish maybe alot to some people but thats because i Feed 5 people with the fish My mom, one of my friends, myself and whoever else might want some nice fresh fish too eat I really enjoy fishing and dont feel guilty keeping panfish  gamefish on the other hand most are thrown back  but all the fish i keep i clean and give away or eat and none of it is ever frozen I make sure it gets eaten fresh
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Fatboy, freezer burn is a thing of the past with a vac sealer. ;)
This is something I struggle with all of the time. I keep alot of fish, mostly bluegills. But they are all eaten within a few months. I keep very few largemouth bass, and I've never kept a smallmouth.
Like was stated before as long as you are within the law and you eat what you take home, I have no problem with you keeping fish. In fact, it's none of my business. ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2004, 04:21 PM »
as you are within the law and you eat what you take home, I have no problem with you keeping fish. In fact, it's none of my business. ;D

Mike, I couldn't have said it better.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I didn't want to come off sounding like on the soapbox either... sorry! 
Kevin Wilson

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:44 PM »

I didn't want to come off sounding like on the soapbox either... sorry! 

You didn't. No apology necessary. ;D

Now what about carp....can I use them for coon bait? ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Now what about carp....can I use them for coon bait? ;D

I'm Ok with that.  If so, can you use coons for catfish bait?
Kevin Wilson

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2004, 01:44 AM »
What size hook do you need for those. Besides heres a better idea.  ;D ;D ;D

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/fozsey/bait.jpg

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2004, 07:19 AM »

I'm Ok with that.  If so, can you use coons for catfish bait?

Yep, as long as you first remove the hide. It will make someone a nice warm hat. ;D

Fozsey, great pic. I've seen some poodles in my life I would have liked to do that to. ;D

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Whites are pretty good if cleaned and cooked right.  Make sure to get all the red meat off the fillet so you don't have that strong taste.

We catch 14-18" whites on a regular basis in Kansas.  There are some really nice fish down there. 

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2004, 06:24 AM »
Nice, never seen a white bass before

Ice Troll

« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Jigwiggler,

What you probably caught was a wiper. They are white bass/stripe bass hybrids and they do look very much like missfishy's white. I have caught wipers before but never saw a white until missfishy posted hers. Wipers can get huge too.

Ice Troll

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:53 AM »
In Nebraska, both whites and wipers(hybrids) are really popular.  You can tell the difference by looking at their tooth patch.  A white bass has 1 tooth patch and a wiper normally has 2.   It is blast when they get the baitfish to the surface.  We throw topwater plugs at them and they really smack it.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

GETABITE

« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:27 PM »
that's a beautiful fish, congrad. ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2004, 05:56 PM »
I don't know if it was a cross. I didn't know there were crossed fish in oneida .because I usually catch much smaller ones .it was a pretty fish anyway ,and I hope it gets a lot bigger  ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:34 AM »
thanks itsmedick I have that website on my favorites but didn't notice they had white bass on there.after looking at that I think it is a white bass,only has one stripe going the whole length of the body I should have looked at the tounge and wieghed it might be a state record ....oh well shoulda ..coulda ..woulda  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:45 AM »
nice fish missy. we occasionally catch them in the red river up here, but usually around 10-11". thats a beauty for sure, and with the same luck? next years entry..grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.