Author Topic: Mr Buddy Heater Won't Light  (Read 86877 times)

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Buddy Heater Won't Light
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:02 PM »
I'm having problems with my Mr Buddy heater. I can't get it to light. I see the spark when I hit the button but the pilot won't light. It seems like its not getting gas. I just installed a new propane tank. I don't know anything about these. It worked fine call last year and was bought new last season. Anyone havecany idea what is wring with it or how to fix it?

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mr Buddy Heater Won't Light
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Mine acted up last night on the ice. I scrapped the inside of the pilot with a piece of wire then blew it out with canned air. No more problems.

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Interesting. I'll go buy a can of air and try that. You just stuck the the red straw in the hole that the pilot flame comes out and blew it out?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Same here,my son still trying to kill a buck in Ohio out of my ground blind.It was real cold and I suggested he use the heater in the blind. Pilot would fire but appeared like no gas was coming out. It looked like a spider made a web in that area,I blew it out,fire right up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:29 PM »

spiders build nests in them
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Interesting. I'll go buy a can of air and try that. You just stuck the the red straw in the hole that the pilot flame comes out and blew it out?

Yup. Blow it out from that direction and also look in through the metal grill front the front side and you should see the air intake orifice for the pilot burner. Blow it out there as well. Blow out the ceramic plates while you are at it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:50 PM »
Mine did the same thing. I took the bottle off and put it back on and it worked.
<===Lefty===

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I fixed it! Took the entire thing apart and blew out all 3 lines. Works perfect now! The hardest part was putting it back together. Only had 2 screws left over at the end! Lol

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Not a fix for a fowled unit but I have to till my Heater Buddy forward when lighting in order for the pilot flame to reach the heat coil.  Otherwise it will not light easily.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Since you've had it apart, might as well do the anti tip over neuter mod and move the pilot burner out one notch.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Mine did the same thing. Blowing out the pilot and main orifice did the trick. The manual does specify not to stick anything in there to clean it out. Works like a dream now.

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Never had a problem but I'm going to follow here just in case...

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Just went through this last night. My Mr Buddy POS failed to light and ruined a night of father/son ice fishing. I've only used it maybe 12 times and I can't wrap my head around needing to clean it already. My 40 year old heater/cooker works flawlessly, every time, with zero maintenance.
Judging by the number of posts here and on YouTube about this issue, it seems their engineers should get back to work.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:22 AM »
Had a Big buddy fail to light because while hauling out on the ice it was snowing and snow had gotten into the pilot area. Cleaned snow out but had to use a lighter to get it lit and dried out took a few minutes of messing with but finally worked.
Regular buddy bought new last February and used twice. Pulled it out in November pilot would light but flame was orange and longer than normal. Cleaned as suggested above with the Qtips and some air and it works as it should again. Sorry you lost time with your son on the ice.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Now, this is funny.
Last night I saw this video and today on the Ice my Mr Big Buddy went for a crap.
On the ice review in my head...
Q-tips- check at home
Rubbing Alcohol- at home with scotch-optional
Canned air= stop at Walmart and grab
At home 10 mins and Mr. Buddy Heater is working well.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:27 AM »
Have had enough problems over the years with them that one of the next times I light a buddy heater it'll probably be soaked in gasoline

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:53 AM »
Mine is 4 or 5 years old and yesterday was the first time I did anything other than put propane to it.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:00 AM »
good read thx  :thumbsup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I absolutely hate the buddy heaters.ive had some brand new that didnt light.my little buddy wont light now after i took it apart the last 2 years.the tipover switch sticks so i bang it around.i have one portable buddy thats decent but if its real cold it wont light.a heater that does not light when its cold is fricken stupid!!i still use my old coleman catalytic heater and a focus 5.hasnt been cold enough to use a heater this year tho.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.