New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429108 times)

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #120 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Heading to the Yankee Classic tomorrow, but if I was heading out on Schroon I would keep it real mobile, no tip ups, just snowmobile, flip shanty, jig rods and electronics.  I'd hit the deep channels, the flats along the east shore, the flat on the west shoreline above the Narrows all the way to the Condos.  Work for 'em.
Tony

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Jan 17, 2015, 04:29 PM »
fished off of red wing today 20 smelt 7 lakers 25 perch.good day out on the king in the am.fish all came in 60 feet of water.all on jigs.perch hailes.tc5 :icefish:

Offline Goinfission

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I don't need no stinkin fish finder...
« Reply #122 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Great to know that there is another bait shop opened in Schroon. The folks at Bobcats were always good to my kid, but in past years it was a hit or miss on fishing  days. There also was some minnows and bait available at the Sunoco at the north end of town, but again, not consistent. We always had to stop in Schroon as we headed up to Lincoln Pond, and sometimes had to go back to Crossroads because these guys were closed or did not have bait.

I hope the new shop well, it is nice to know that if i want to fish SL that I don't have to stop at Crossroads and can come straight up to SL.

BTW anyone know of any bait shop around Elizabethtown?

Thanks.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Crossroads is my go to for any bait in the area , winter , spring and fall. Real good ppl and great food.
Sorry but its tops on my list

Offline Goinfission

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I don't need no stinkin fish finder...
« Reply #124 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I agree , the folks at Crossroads are great and the food is good , too. I was hoping to find someone like them near Lincoln pond. I'll keep looking. Here's to tight lines!

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #125 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Eagle Crg and me will be stopping at Crossroads tomorrow for bait/subs/coffee/breakfast.  Always a great place for bait/food and the working people are great.  Also, enjoy having a chat with the locals who know about everything and anything.  My wife enjoys shopping upstairs for some great buys on pocketbooks, etc.  Eagle Crg and me have rented the A-Frame shanty off Hayes Road at the start of the Narrows  on Schroon if anyone wants to stop by to warm up tomorrow.  We will be fishing from 11am until after dark.

Eagle Ed

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Hey Eagle Ed, I'll be off Grove Point fishing tomorrow, early start then done mid afternoon.  If I get a chance I'll stop by.
Tony

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Tony:

That would be great if you stopped by, as we always enjoy chatting with you.  We will probably be up there by 11:45, so hope to catch you.  Eagle Crg says he wants to fish until after dark.  It's his turn to try another bad idea, but my last idea didn't work out too well either.  Colin has a great shanty that's heated and in a great spot with a very reasonable rental fee.

Eagle Ed

Offline Jimjam77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Hi,  I'm new to this site so bear with me. I fished Schroon Last Saturday the 17th. We fished in the southern basin. We caught 2 lakers...5 pounds and 7 pounds. Both were released for someone else to catch or to grow bigger!  The fish only became active for about 30 minutes around 11:30.  Talked to other guys on the lake...most groups had 1 laker. Nice place to fish!    Jim

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I have had my shanty out on Schroon for several winters now and never had a problem with vandalism or anything of that nature..........last weekend I brought some friends from out of state to fish and get to my shanty and someone decided it was a good spot on the side of my door and right in front of it to drop a turd............hope were not getting the wrong crowd up there all the sudden

Offline willyamazen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish or cut bait
« Reply #130 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Most of been a real jack rabbit to do something like that. A buddy and I fished out of Eagle Point 2 weeks ago, DEC was out on the sleds checking licenses all over hopefully that'll keep the dopes in check.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Ya its been in the same spot every year so its not like we took someone's secret spot..........ya DEC knows us well from being in same spot for years but they are mainly out their on weekends and this person left me a surprise during the week

Offline willyamazen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish or cut bait
« Reply #132 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:34 PM »
If you got good rapport with DEC let them know you had a issue they'll take care of you. My Uncles had a couple rangers in for coffee at our hunting camp around there over the years, built a bond and when the cabin had some windows busted out they had the guy before we even new about the issue.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:42 PM »
We have a good rapport with DEC and a friend of ours is a state trooper that patrols that area...........

Offline willyamazen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish or cut bait
« Reply #134 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:51 PM »
 I think the way this threads going we could tie it in with the keep the trash off the ice one lol  :)

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Eagle Crg and I fished Schroon today out of the nice heated shanty Colin rents.  Beautiful day with plenty of sun and little wind with tolerable temperature, so we hardly used the shanty at all.   Just about ready to pull up the tip-ups and I got a 20" laker that took a 6" sucker.  4" of the sucker was sticking out of its mouth when landed.  Returned fish to the hole with no problems.  Had a chance to meet up with Schroon Laker(Tony) and he had a tough day going after perch.   Always a pleasure to talk with Tony on his knowledge of Schroon Lake and the surrounding area.

Eagle Ed

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Haha very true willyam

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:16 PM »
The flat that we fished did not produce today however I heard some nice lakers were caught in the deeper water of the north end, they were fishing suspended bait.  12-13" black ice.  Good to chat with Eagle Ed & Craig. 
Tony

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Even though I caught the proverbial skunk yesterday, it was great to get out on Schroon.  Thanks for stopping out to see us Tony--you're very knowledgeable and willing to share, a rare combination!  We'll certainly give you a shout next time we're up that way.  Colin is a very conscientious shanty renter!  His price is reasonable and he is a straight shooter.  He advertises on Craigslist if anyone is interested.  While Eagle Ed and I didn't catch much, I did mark some large schools of baitfish (probably smelt) at times on the electronics.  Still couldn't catch em though. 

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:53 PM »
This thread is quiet as of lately, everyone on George?
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I don't know, there were a lot of guys out there today  More and more trucks seen out there today as well.
Tony

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Anyone else out on the lake Sunday mourning............wi nd was pretty nasty.  I give alot of credit to the guys I saw out in the open taking it lake a champ.........they stayed out most the day.  I doent think I could have stayed out there if I didn't have my shanty.........they were some rugged individual's.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #142 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Can anybody tell me how much snow is on the ice up there? Going to Paradox this Thursday.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:55 AM »
10 in warrensburg. :o

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:56 AM »
With the last couple storms about a foot on the lake
Tony

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Its suppose to get windy hopefully it blows some of the snow off the lake

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure where to do an intro, but since I mostly fish Schroon I figured I'd try here. 

My family has been on Schroon since the late 40s. I'm the 3rd generation and have fished it my entire life... In the warmer seasons.  Nobody in my family was into ice fishing, so I'm as newbie as a newbie can be.   It's been interesting since many spots where I've had good luck in the summer don't hold fish under the ice (or I'm just not catching them), but I'll figure out where they are.  It'll just take me a while.

I'm on the southern end and don't have a sled so I'll be walking or skiing out.  Hope to see some of you out there!

Matt

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Anyone been on schroon lately?  Looking to maybe hit that up tomorrow

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Was south of eagle point yesterday.  Ice wasn't overly thick, didn't measure it, but I'd guess around 10".  No slush.  Maybe 8" of powder on top.  I've seen a few posts of slush on the northern side.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:43 PM »
How is it out their folks............looki ng to take my wheeler up..........wondering if anyone is riding them out their still or just sleds now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.