Author Topic: Wanahoo  (Read 5462 times)

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wanahoo
« on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Any info on this lake?  Has it started to ice over yet?  Thanks

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wanahoo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:00 AM »
looks like it finally fully iced up I will drive around it today and make sure...sounds like there was still some open water on it Christmas morning hopefully by the end of the week we will have enough to walk on...would like the wind to blow the little bit of snow that's on it off so one can see the ice
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:50 PM »
well the lake is all locked up with exception to where the geese are holding it open just north of the west handicap pier...most of the south side of the lake was open yesterday and froze over night...there was one brave guy out on the north side of the walkway just north of the boat ramp so there must be enough ice for him to walk out but you wont see me out there till end of the week....a lot of open holes as of yesterday so there are snow covered spots that could have thin ice be cautious out there
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Won't be long now.  Heading to south Dakota at the start of the year and then Nebraska for crappie and bluegill.

Offline hunt_fish_forever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Found an average of 7-8 inches of ice. Some places even more. Caught fish but the bite was very slow. It seemed to not have the same numbers as the past couple years.

Offline 300 RANGER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Limited out with 15 nice bluegills in about an hour and a half

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Nice gills.  There are some good ones in there.  My son had a ball last ice season there catching bluegill.  He would rather catch them than the crappie.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Nice gills for sure; question; is the ice at Wanahoo good through the trees also?

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:52 PM »
i was in the trees on the south side of the lake 3 days ago and it was almost 10 inches. 8 of solid clear with about 2 of frozen snow.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Thanks Randall3; going to try to make it up there in the next week; temps looking good to hold that kind of ice; good luck to you while fishing. Will try to post a report when and where I go.

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:19 PM »
we caught prolly 75 fish between me and a buddy. bite didn't pick up till about 2 pm. good bite all over the lake tho. friends of mine ont he north end in the trees said they had about the same for ice. id still spud bar it on the way tho. wanahoo has some sktchy spots no matter what the weather is.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:59 PM »
Will do; thanks again; Wanahoo is a fun lake to fish; always check the ice; especially when near the trees holding heat; thanks again.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Just made it to wahoo with my son.  We left south dakota due to cold temps and slow fishing to fish here Saturday and Sunday.  Any dangerous heaves to watch out for like last year or spots to avoid?

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Everything was pretty thick when I was there a week ago. Been cold ever since so shouldn't have to worry about much. As always just take caution. The section where the channel goes thru tends to be iffy every year no matter what the weather

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Enjoyed our trip, caught several nice bluegill and a few quality crappie.  Didn't find the numbers or quality of crappie as last ice season. But didn't do a lot of searching.  Saw a first today as a guy was on a snowmobile on the ice.  Did they change regs to allow atvs and snowmobiles on wanahoo now?  As always everyone we met or talked to was really nice .  planning another trip in a couple weeks if the ice will hold.

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:47 PM »
glad you guys found fish!!! had a buddy there today and yesterday doing well on the gills also. we found a few tank crappie when i was there byt had to weed thru the 8 inchers for the 12s and 14s. they were also very slow to bite. seemed like the bigger the fish, the more hesitation and softer the bite was.

Offline doneinne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Enjoyed our trip, caught several nice bluegill and a few quality crappie.  Didn't find the numbers or quality of crappie as last ice season. But didn't do a lot of searching.  Saw a first today as a guy was on a snowmobile on the ice.  Did they change regs to allow atvs and snowmobiles on wanahoo now?  As always everyone we met or talked to was really nice .  planning another trip in a couple weeks if the ice will hold.
No they didn’t.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Ice holding up ok. Heading up this Friday again with my son.

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:12 AM »
ill be there thurs and Friday. ice is fine. solid 12 inches in some of the spots i drilled saturday

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Hope you found some fish Saturday.  Thanks for the info on the ice.  Went looking around my area Saturday and no safe ice was found

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:54 PM »
where you from that you didnt find safe ice? all the omaha metro lakes are good. gonna take a solid weei of 80s to knock down that ice lol

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Southeast kansas.  I missed the week we had safe ice a few weeks ago when we were in south Dakota and nebraska. 

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:17 PM »
ah i gotcha. yea its been good and will be for a few more weeks at the very least in omaha area and north. weather will be in the 40s this weekend but it wont effect the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.