Author Topic: Ice growth  (Read 3124 times)

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice growth
« on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Does any on have the chart that shows how much ice forms a hour at certain temps it would be nice to have on on here to reference while watching the forcast have a really hard time waiting   ;D :tipup:
I'm not brightest tool in the shed my ice auger is

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice growth
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:45 AM »
All I know is it was 5degrees in north bend this morning at 530

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Does any on have the chart that shows how much ice forms a hour at certain temps it would be nice to have on on here to reference while watching the forcast have a really hard time waiting   ;D :tipup:
Did you search for it?  It's on here somewhere.  Here's one that I found with a quick Google Search

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:52 AM »
I love all the weather talk and the looks on peoples faces when you tell them you hope it gets colder sooner  :tipup:

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013, 12:34 AM »
Great chart, gives me something to measure looking at the 10 day forecast.  I think wind helps also by reducing temps on ice surface, helping to grow faster.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013, 03:55 AM »
I feel the same as you about the wind helping, once the water body is "locked" up.  Windchill is not what I'm referring to, but the fact that the moving cold air (wind) will remove heat from the ice sheet quicker.  It's all interesting.  Just give a good 4" of clear ice and build from there  ;D

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2013, 02:52 AM »
Yeah, I think that wind is good when the lake's locked up...if not...then I think the winds are bad. They don't give it a chance to 'lock up' with ice. Branched Oak and larger lakes are a good example of that! BO will be open for a while still; I don't think it froze up until almost the 1st of the year last year.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2013, 02:52 PM »
When figuring the average daily temp do you just take the hi and lo temps or do you use the temp at every hour of the day?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:18 PM »
When figuring the average daily temp do you just take the hi and lo temps or do you use the temp at every hour of the day?
You can do it any way you like.

The term "average" usually encompasses several ways to measure what value best represents a sample. There are various measurements that are used and at times the term and measurement used depends on the situation.

A statistician or mathematician would use the terms mean and average to refer to the sum of all values divided by the total number of values, what you have called the average. This especially true if you have a list of numbers. In fact even in mathematics there are different "averages" or "means" and this one is more properly called the arithmetic mean.

The quantity obtained by adding the largest and smallest values and dividing by 2, statisticians call the midrange. There are times however that this is called the mean. For example the weather office records the "mean daily temperature", which is the sum of the high temperature and the low temperature divided by 2.

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I've been applying this formula to the 10 day forecast for Lincoln, NE...looks like this week we're averaging 28-30 degrees daily.  Not much growth, but I'm thinking we should have some 3" ice by Saturday.  Tuesday and Tuesday night averages are looking pretty strong in the low 20s - should add 1" to the existing 1-1.5" I've got on the ponds on the farm.  I'm hopeful, maybe not realistic, though.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline bluethunder72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:04 PM »
their is no way you get an av. of 28-30 in the next few days ..... the high is only 30 somthing and thats only for about 3 hres a day!!!
Dry side of the ice

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:59 PM »
"Tuesday and Tuesday night averages are looking pretty strong in the low 20s..." - appears you agree with me?

"looks like this week we're averaging 28-30 degrees daily." 

Thurs-Sunday highs are 38; 42; 50; 45.  Imagine those average temps are far above freezing.  Hope we don't lose the ice we build this week.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Bump

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:11 PM »
The wind need to die down I want to go fishing
I'm not brightest tool in the shed my ice auger is

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Okay... so if I'm reading the chart right for my 10 day outlook this week which is: 56/28, 31/21, 24/12, 24/17, 29/25, 28/5, 15/6, 19/11, 27/17 and 30/21, I'll have about 5in est. of ice in that amount of time and if so, I'm gonna start off my end of semester break on a VERY positive note  ;D :icefish:
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline RB13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the chart FISHFORPIKE

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:47 PM »
 I'm wondering how/if the snow is effecting ice development? heading out Saturday to ice my first fish of the season.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I'm wondering how/if the snow is effecting ice development? heading out Saturday to ice my first fish of the season.
Well, if there is snow on the ice, it affects it - depending on the depth of snow cover, it can almost halt ice production.

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Snow insulates, retards ice growth rate significantly.  Bare ice is best.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:18 PM »
This winds halting ice pretty good also!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I take my spud and with a couple inches of ice with snow on top before I leave punch holes on my way off if freezing temps are coming.  The slush will freeze and put ice on at a much faster rate than where was not punched

Offline bluethunder72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Should have good ice by this weekend
Dry side of the ice

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Be patient, make sure it is safe.  It may not make ice as fast as we would like.

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2013/12/ice-man-cometh/

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum