Author Topic: tip up bells for shanty dwellers?  (Read 988 times)

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
tip up bells for shanty dwellers?
« on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:24 PM »
set some rod tip bells on my tipup flags. helps get your attention when they fly! anyone else do this?

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip up bells for shanty dwellers?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I tried them but found they just weren't lound enough.  Unlike on a rod that keeps bouncing and ringing the bell, the flag just bounces a few times and then goes still while the spool is still spinning.  I finally went to the window alarm sirens from the dollar store and have had much better success with those.  They are louder and keep sounding until you hear them and shut them off.

Offline xlbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Not the cheapest solution, but I have used tip up lights that also have a beeper alert on them. They were about $10.00 and made by Frabill. I have used bells for rod tips on my tip ups but found that they were not loud enough. Last year I found a slightly larger single bell with a velcro strap at Wal Mart and they were a lot louder but still I prefer the tip up lights with the warning beeper that does not shut off until you turn it off or set the flag back down. I have a one man shanty that only has one window in the front and I have no problem hearing the beeper even though the tip ups are not in view. Hope this helps.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Same here as tubes $10 get u 4 save big money!

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Actually $10 got me 10 at the $1 store.  Don't know if they are any different than the ones at Maynerds.. but I did have two of them die pretty quickly, but for a $1 I wasn't all that concerned.

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I had bought these lighted spring loaded clips on ebay last year, they were 5 for $5 and change, including shipping.  I use them for on the ends of my rods for  fishing for eels at night.  Last night I tried them for the first time on my tip up flags.  They work good there too.  They also come with little bells that attach to them.
Mark it 8 dude

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.