Author Topic: Is 3lb test too light?  (Read 13619 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Is 3lb test too light?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:21 PM »
Now wiggly, most of these gills aren't 3 pounds, but it's a good bet you'll catch one that size every other trip at this lake. They might average 10 - 12" and 1 - 2 pounds. But dang, man I wish I could ice fish this lake. The stupid water utilities are paranoid over water contamination and liabilities to allow ice fishing or anyone even touching the water. Well we are going to overrule them hopefully within a year or so. These bulls are line shy at this lake, so I may start trying fluoroclear during open water fishing for them. Anything under six would be too light at this lake because of the mats of thick weeds. These gills spin around like blenders from hell and will burrow in the weeds faster than you can even blink.
If you are fishing bulls in thick weeds, I think 6 pound fluoroclear would be best. If the cover isn't bad, 2 pound test is best I think.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:38 PM »
WOW jigwiggler!  That was a hcek of a trip. Wish I was with ;D  I have used 2lb for the past 20 years and no problems, except for a big crappie beaking it so most times I hook my arm gets wet :)  I think 3lb will work.  But I stick with 2. Happy New Year to all that read this :o
GILLCRAZY

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Quote from myself on dec.24th.  ''    NOT HERE jigwiggler. I think IMO most of you have ''easy'' lakes to fish so line diameter really doesnt matter that much''.
OK jigwiggler now i know for sure you are fishing easy lakes. Line dia. or test doesn't make much difference on easy lakes.
I'm heading your way because fishing here is real tough. You would get skunked with 4# line here. >:( :( :'(

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2004, 04:00 PM »
I have 2# on my panfish rod now, Trilene Ice blue I think its called. I like the 2# and have used it before but i'm wondering if clear line has an advantage over blue line. I'm afraid the blue is too easy to see. Any suggestions?
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2004, 05:25 PM »
Fishnut,

If we ever get ice,  I will let you know how the clear 2# works.  I used Blue for many years,  but I couldn't find it at Cabelas this year.  I am nervous about whether I will be able to see it against the white snow backdrop around the edges of the hole.  Pray to the Ice Gods for me.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:59 PM »
Mike Gander Mountain has a lot of blue line. My bud uses a natural 2# and i use a blue1# and out fish him around 5 to 1. and sometimes 10 to 1. The blue color doesnt bother the fish in our experiences.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:25 PM »
Loo,

No Gander near me and I bought my line for the year. :-\
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.