Author Topic: Where did they go??  (Read 2821 times)

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
Where did they go??
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:27 PM »
We have a local lake that is full of nice Blue Gills but I haven't graphed one or caught one this winter yet in three trips.  A big cold front came through the end of last week which was the first time I could get on the ice but I've tried the deepest part of the lake, down to 5-6' with no luck.  I'm stumped unless their holed up in shallow weed beds (which would be hard to fish).  I've tried creek channels next to the weeds.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Where did they go??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 05:30 AM »
Look in the shallow wed beds,  particularly the pockets.  Yes,  they will be hard to fish, but that is why they are there.  They will move out right before sunset and at sunrise.  Seems to be the only place left for you to check.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:20 AM »
 Mugz the fishslayer been in town? If he has, that would explain everything.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:28 PM »
Is the deepest water 5 - 6 feet? Sometimes they go into the deeper basins in the winter. But usually that isn't till later in the year when decreasing oxygen levels push them there. If not, they will be right next to the weeds. But since you haven't seen them there yet, they are prolly right in the dang weeds. Gonna be a challenge to pull a big ol' bull out of the weed beds. Get ready for a fight. If your not seeing them on sonar, your just gonna have to keep looking in different areas. They generally bite best in cloudy weather during or before a cold front. The bright sunny days right after the front leaves are always tough fishing for any fish.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:16 PM »
The deepest water is about 15' where a channel runs through the lake, the rest of the lake is relativly shallow 3-6' and full of weed to the surface,  and 2-4' in the back of the lake where the channel is only 6-8'.  This is the only year I can remember where you didn't graph and catch a ton of blue gills and its not like only finding a few, I havn't seen any.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Man that is stranger than heck. Maybe you should check the very deepest water, and also the channel in the back end where it's 6 - 8 feet deep. I can't imagine why your not seeing them unless they are all gone. Weird.

Tyler

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Could it have winter killed at the end of last ice season?

Tyler

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:50 PM »
Tiptoe around in the shallow water in the weeds and drill holes with a hand auger only. Fish right in the weed pockets. Be extremely quiet, no noise will be a necessity. Try to borrow an aquaview or bring a buddy that has an aquaview along and see if you see anything. If you don't, well, your lake probably doesn't have any. Hope you can find them. Good luck!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2005, 01:36 PM »
They didn't winter kill, they were all over this summer and I tried the deepest part of the lake with no luck.  The only thing I havn't tried is in the middle of the weed beds and I'll bet that's where they are.  Won't be able to check till next week and by then they may be swimming in the channel.  I'll let you know.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2005, 02:18 PM »
If if the pond has broadleaf weeds - cabbage, etc. then try fishing right in the thickest weed clumps, but you have to get the jig to penetrate beneath the leaves.  Those gills will sit right underneath those leaves in the daytime - they won't move hardly at all. 

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2005, 09:43 PM »
look on the weed edge next to a drop off. drill all your holes early this way the fish settle down.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:05 AM »
If I know there are gills in a shallow, weedy area I'v used my auger to clear out a patch of weeds under my hole(s).  Id then let it rest for a time and come back to it later.
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.