Author Topic: Okay, I'll start....  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okay, I'll start....
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25, 2023, 07:50 AM »
Recovered from the set the set back, got 5 layers on the inner core, 2 1.5 oz sandwiching 3 layers of 1708 , with tabbing  there are 9 layers which is a touch  over 1/2"   of material tieing the new transom to the hull,  tomorrow,  I sand/shape the cap and put 2 of 1.5 to bond the wrap , then i can reinstall the cap and stringers .

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2023, 08:23 AM »
Looking good Joe, Merry Christmas.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2023, 11:32 AM »
Lots of work Joe, good stuff my friend.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 25, 2023, 03:12 PM »
Ok, I'll go....
Well here we go, another season is upon us.  Great to see the boys and girls(Steph) back on. Btw, thanks for the thread start Steph.
After hunting religiously the past 3 months, I think I'm finally ready to get into ice mode. Still doing some post season scouting and stand pulls though.
Although no giant studs this year, put 4 nice deer in the freezer plenty of good eats for the ice. After being laid up for all of last years ice season and part of hunting season, I missed a lot, had a lot of catching up to do.
New for this year(just cuz I can) and for early ice lightweight setup, picked up a new lite flite 8" and got a smoking deal on the new DeWalt drill with a 6 Ah and 9Ah batteries.
And I was just gifted an Eskimo outbreak 450xd by the wife today for Christmas.
I'm ready.......
Standing by for ice ........
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2023, 11:18 AM »
Good stuff Jason, glad to hear your mended up and are back at it... Looking forward to seeing you at camp knucklehead this year.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 27, 2023, 06:29 PM »
Well done Joe... way to keep at it and take advantage of the weather.

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 30, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Howdy folks, I haven't found much in the way of ice yet, so I've gone to plan "B" which as always, is buying new gear. My latest find is an outfit out of Canada making smitty sled kits. easysled.ca I saw them on the main iceshanty site. It's coming next week, went and bought a pair of Goodwill skis for 6 bucks, Looks like it makes sense for my needs, but I've been tricked before, updates next week
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2023, 02:54 PM »
     Dipstick here, checking in.
I could complain about the lack of ice, but I appears that dead horse has been beaten repeatedly... Look at it this way, we don't have to plow/shovel rain! Hope to see you all out there soon enough. In the meantime, I'm gonna try to pick some nightcrawlers this eve!
Just north of Keene BTW

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2024, 09:20 AM »
I spent New Years Eve in Pittsburg and there is limited ice even up there. Seems some cold temps are finally on the way.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2024, 09:28 AM »
I spent New Years Eve in Pittsburg and there is limited ice even up there. Seems some cold temps are finally on the way.

I was thinking of running up there for aome snowshoe hunting but definitely would want some snow.
Just add water.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2024, 10:16 AM »
I was thinking of running up there for aome snowshoe hunting but definitely would want some snow.
With limited ice, I thought of the same thing Mike.
If No tracking snow, the upside is their color would stick out on bare ground though. But I think they just got some snow
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2024, 10:38 AM »
My brother just came back from Pittsburg yesterday. Basically just a covering of snow (he said it flurried the whole weekend) but obviously not enough for snow toys.
I had posted some pics of Young’s store but they were from Jan ‘23😡
I think this is live from Lopstick…

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:16 AM »

We were supposed to be there for New Years as well but when the snow buggered off a couple weeks ago we canceled the cabin... Hoping the trails pick up some snow before too long.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:33 AM »

I keep my eye on the camp webcam and it's been Utah snowing up there most nights, I think the pattern has changed for winter to be here. We went to our buddies for the NYE celebrations and they are one of the most Northern camps in Pittsburg. They had a good 6" to 8" on the ground. I'm not sure how much snow you need for hunting them wabbits but if you went out by Deer Mtn I bet you'd have plenty.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 07, 2024, 11:47 AM »
Got the Easy Sled put together, pulled it around in the snow, can already see the hike out/in is going to be easier. Jet Sled XL on top, still fits in my truckbed with the bed cover down
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 11, 2024, 09:37 PM »
Got the Easy Sled put together, pulled it around in the snow, can already see the hike out/in is going to be easier. Jet Sled XL on top, still fits in my truckbed with the bed cover down

Curious to see how this performs for you this season
Tight Lines!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 15, 2024, 09:56 AM »
Guinea!

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while! Glad to see You are still around  :)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:42 PM »
Quick! Everyone look busy! The bossman is here!

Good to see ya, Keith! It's been a while since you've been by.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 21, 2024, 06:32 AM »
Recovered from the set the set back, got 5 layers on the inner core, 2 1.5 oz sandwiching 3 layers of 1708 , with tabbing  there are 9 layers which is a touch  over 1/2"   of material tieing the new transom to the hull,  tomorrow,  I sand/shape the cap and put 2 of 1.5 to bond the wrap , then i can reinstall the cap and stringers .

almost a boat again - new transom, keel stringer, box stringers raised 4" new storage areas created in bilge area with false bottoms, floatation foam poured ,trimmed and sealed with epoxy, then skinned with a veil of 1.5 CSM consisting of 2 layers that create a sealed floatation pod on each side, trough hulls drilled, cored and redrill, plumbing for bait tank installed under deck, wire chases created for controls and wire, wire chase installed for fuel fill, fuel tank mounts glassed in and tank installed, new wash down and bait pumps fitted into the aft bilge section, nida core  deck goes on this weekend , still work to do to finish sand and gel coat transom and hull will also  build a new console, but it's taking shape

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #79 on: Mar 22, 2024, 11:21 AM »
Looking good Joe sounds like she'll be quite the vessel when complete.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 25, 2024, 05:11 PM »
Wow Joe... lots of work - quite impressive.... look forward to seeing more.

Well done

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 31, 2024, 06:15 AM »
Wow Joe... lots of work - quite impressive.... look forward to seeing more.

Well done
More work than most are willing to do.
I ripped 2x4 lumber to make 1" x1/4" strips, these  strips were cut and glued together with a hot glue gun to make templates for the deck/sole, they also are for cutting fiber glass and  cut outs for deck plates, the new sole/deck will be 3/4" honey comb, a
 4x8 sheet weighs 16lbs, a 4x8 sheet of 3x4 marine plywood weighs 71 lbs it takes 4 sheets, so honey comb ,even after laminating offers a substantial weight reduction over wood, and it cannot soak up water or rot.
 - I've cut out all the sole pieces, and have begun laminating them, each gets 2 layers of 1708 on the bottom, then 2 layers of 1708 then  a layer of 1.5 ounce mat, then a veil of 6 ounce cloth, I've cut out hatches and began installing the panels.alot of work left but progress is moving forward

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 31, 2024, 04:24 PM »

Looks like great progress... thanks again for posting.  Is all this work what you expected when you took this on or did you find more wrong with your boat than expected when you got into it.

It will feel good to be chasing those 50+ inch stripers in her when she is done.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 31, 2024, 05:41 PM »
Looks like great progress... thanks again for posting.  Is all this work what you expected when you took this on or did you find more wrong with your boat than expected when you got into it.

It will feel good to be chasing those 50+ inch stripers in her when she is done.
I knew exactly  what was involved,  it's gone so so well, I added upgrades and improvements,if there  is anything I'd tell anyone that is thinking  about doing this type of renovation, it will take twice as long as you think, and cost twice as much as you budget, I'm under 5 K so I'm happy,- that being said, I was hoping  to get the transom done by now, so having  the deck half way done is a bonus- I'm planning  on making a console/,dog house,, instead of re using the original, I have the supplies and enough time ive already made the mojbck up I'll be building that as soon as the deck is in,which should be in by next Sunday, ivevalrrady remounted/installed  the trim tab pump,bait well and wash down pump, I've over drilled the scupper drains, filled with thickened epoxy, so I can refill and install with no possibility of water infiltrating
the new transom, speaking of coring, every screw or bolt that goes through the honey comb gets over drilled,filled with epoxy to form crush proof puck aot of work behind the scenes, but the quality of the materials and craftsmanship I'm building into this 46 year old craft will be enjoyed by my grandchildren, and great grand children long after the light has faded from my eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.