Author Topic: Ice Runner brand sleds  (Read 4550 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Runner brand sleds
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Am looking to get a 2 man flip over. Has anyone use the Ice Runner brand? I am intrigued by the lightweight concept- a folding chair instead of built ins lets you unload the thing completely and end up with something easy to load in the pickup, and getting the cover included seems like a good deal. I have never seen one, and wondered if there are any endorsements/warnings out there.

https://www.facebook.com/icerunnerhouses/

Thanks!

:tipup:

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Runner brand sleds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:11 AM »
badger,
I have the Explorer that has yet to see the ice.
Positive things...lots of room inside, quality fabric, relatively easy to set up, nice window configuration, lighter weight than most sleds of comparable size, like the rear entry, affordable price.
Negative comments...sled is thinner than others sleds, (would recommend a “Smitty” to put it on), the fabric attaches to the sled with plastic fasteners, (replace with metal fasteners), need to stand/sit in sled, (issue if you’re wearing cleats or crampons).

All in all, a decent product for the money.

"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Although I don't own one they seem to be a nice option my concern is if there is a wind break position ? I like the windbreak on my Frabill two man ...as well a the front zippered door ..the rear zippered door only is a concern ..getting in/out on windy days  as well as having to climb over/around your gear . I guess one could get use to that layout.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:46 PM »
It looks like a nice shelter to me. I have had a flip with a rear entry door and found the tub to be very slippery to step on unless covered with a piece of carpet or something like that. Mine was a small two person shelter and I preferred to flip it to go outside even though I lost all of my heated air..
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for the reviews. Any concerns about putting a folding chair in the tub, and maybe cracking the tub with the chair legs?

Does the cover do a good job of keeping the canvas off the ice when towing? Seems like more of an issue with a thin tub.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Thanks for the reviews. Any concerns about putting a folding chair in the tub, and maybe cracking the tub with the chair legs?

Does the cover do a good job of keeping the canvas off the ice when towing? Seems like more of an issue with a thin tub.

Not sure what you are thinking chair wise ..but I think a regular camping chair would be a disappointment ..not good for leaning forward peering down a hole … I use a HT sports chair... folds up and light weight in my two man which came with a tripod chair ..which is horrible . After reading several or so threads on chair choices on IS I am leaning on a upgrade to a mesh style folding chair .

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-big-boy-comfort-swivel-hunting-blind-chair-500-lb-capacity?a=2121201

I have a directors chair w/side table ..I like it for Hub fishing.. not so much in my flip over ..the arms are what I don't like.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:05 PM »
The company site recommends standard cheap folding chairs. I do remember people complaining about some chairs in other sleds, especially the three legged ones in some eskimo packages.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:21 PM »
hardwater,
You might check the weight on the SG chair. While they are nicely designed, I have one of their similar models and they are definitely on the heavy side. If weight isn’t a factor for you, then go for it! Ski

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44 PM »
hardwater,
You might check the weight on the SG chair. While they are nicely designed, I have one of their similar models and they are definitely on the heavy side. If weight isn’t a factor for you, then go for it! Ski

Yeah its a lil heavy ...my HT chair works fine but a lil more back support would be much better …

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Sklifisher:
The thin sled is my biggest concern; I have lost jet sleds quite quickly when towing across the bare ice. We get a lot of slush, and then 4 wheelers tear it up, and it re-freezes like a cheese grater. The frozen spikes are big enough often that even hyfax on the bottom does not provide enough protection. One split in the tub, and the whole thing fills up with slush the next time out.
I like Smitty sleds, and they solve the problem, but then there is a whole extra step to setting up- I am assuming you would have to remove it from the Smitty each time you move, and load it back on again. Are you planning to pull by hand, or tow?

badger,
I have the Explorer that has yet to see the ice.
Positive things...lots of room inside, quality fabric, relatively easy to set up, nice window configuration, lighter weight than most sleds of comparable size, like the rear entry, affordable price.
Negative comments...sled is thinner than others sleds, (would recommend a “Smitty” to put it on), the fabric attaches to the sled with plastic fasteners, (replace with metal fasteners), need to stand/sit in sled, (issue if you’re wearing cleats or crampons).

All in all, a decent product for the money.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 09:54 PM »
badger,
I will be hand hauling this rig, and yes, you would need to take it off the smitty to set it up. My plan was to haul the shelter, and have my partner haul the rest of the gear. Still working out a solution! The sled would definitely NOT hold up well on the ice conditions you described.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 04:28 AM »
badger,
I will be hand hauling this rig, and yes, you would need to take it off the smitty to set it up. My plan was to haul the shelter, and have my partner haul the rest of the gear. Still working out a solution! The sled would definitely NOT hold up well on the ice conditions you described.

I use a Smitty Sled and have eye bolts both on my shelter and on the rear cross brace of my Smitty ..I then attach a 1 foot chain w/carabiners  to my Jet Sled 1..and then attach it to either to my shelter or the cross brace,based on the ice conditions . I then store my most/first needed gear in the Jet Sled ..my auger/drill set up ..coat rod box ..ice scoop Ice chisel . Drag to my destination and start the day . The extra room of the Jet Sled is nice to just keep things organized and up off the ice during slush conditions ...and as long as its not over loaded/heavy it tows just fine with or without a Smitty .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.