Author Topic: Deals on tungsten jigs ( quality of hooks ? )  (Read 3229 times)

Offline ruttinbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Deals on tungsten jigs ( quality of hooks ? )
« on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Every time I buy tungsten jigs on sale , I receive poor quality hooks. First time I ordered a bunch, the barbs were so small I think spikes were wiggling off the hooks. The next time
(different company) I received poor barbs, eyes of hooks not closed completely and hooks b that never seen a pair of pliers breaking. The price was good and once I received a free lure box.
Anybody else have these issues or am I just lucky ?

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Deals on tungsten jigs ( quality of hooks ? )
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Hmm, free box with purchase.  That sounds like a company that people are saying (on this site) is so fantastic for the price.  Buyer beware if the cost of a tungsten is $1 or less.  You can't possibly think it is of good quality at that price.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:41 PM »
I buy all my tungsten from Your Bobbers Down.com....maybe not always the cheapest, but Ive never had a problem. jmo

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Hmm, free box with purchase.  That sounds like a company that people are saying (on this site) is so fantastic for the price.  Buyer beware if the cost of a tungsten is $1 or less.  You can't possibly think it is of good quality at that price.

Disagree.  I bought a large quantity last year, and got the free box.  I have nothing bad to say about the quality of the jigs.  If I can catch 50-60 fish on a dollar tungsten jig, I'd consider that a good buy.  I recently bought 20 more a week ago, and the quality is top notch. 

Offline ruttinbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Like my post said guess I'm just lucky !
I'm not going to tell you who I always get quality hooks from
because they are always sold out of the color or size I want.
Competition is good , it  keeps them prices low and new colors
coming out.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:34 PM »
I buy all my tungsten from Your Bobbers Down.com....maybe not always the cheapest, but Ive never had a problem. jmo

Same here. Great jigs. I have about 60 of them.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Let's not forget Matthew's great customer service! Just had a great experience. had an issue and he took care of it immediately and made it right.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:27 AM »
i get most my jigs from yourbobbersdown but have just started ordering from energized outdoors.good prices and I have over 100 jigs from there now,some of the eyes are not clean and the paint  on the glitter jigs flakes off but ive had no problems with hooks breaking yet and I used them exclusively all season.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2019, 12:25 PM »
i get most my jigs from yourbobbersdown but have just started ordering from energized outdoors.good prices and I have over 100 jigs from there now,some of the eyes are not clean and the paint  on the glitter jigs flakes off but ive had no problems with hooks breaking yet and I used them exclusively all season.

Same here.  Have had no issues with poor quality hooks/breakage - just a few painted over eyes that I cleaned up easy enough.  Shoot, won a local speed fishing tourney by reeling in a 27" northern using one of those $1 tungsten jigs.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:56 PM »

Last trip of season.Used energized jigs and nikko plastics. Unfortunately nikko products are the other end of the spectrum price wise. But they work excellent. Also both companies have given me excellent customer service.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2019, 02:27 AM »
Every time I buy tungsten jigs on sale , I receive poor quality hooks. First time I ordered a bunch, the barbs were so small I think spikes were wiggling off the hooks. The next time
(different company) I received poor barbs, eyes of hooks not closed completely and hooks b that never seen a pair of pliers breaking. The price was good and once I received a free lure box.
Anybody else have these issues or am I just lucky ?

I had a few with bad paint last year from EO and Matthew sent me replacement right away.  I have over 100 jigs from EO and besides a few random paint covered eyes, no issues. All sticky sharp hooks.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2019, 05:40 AM »
Same here, just re upped my inventory of energized jigs couple weeks ago.
Very pleased with them, especially for the price.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:19 AM »
'ive got over a hundred', 'I have 60..', etc etc.....I too have many, but seems like I use the same half dozen or so all year....   ;D ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM »
'ive got over a hundred', 'I have 60..', etc etc.....I too have many, but seems like I use the same half dozen or so all year....   ;D ;D
yeah but i buy multiples of that half dozen.lol dont want to only have 1 jig if its the hot color of the day in case a pike bites it off or a hook breaks.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM »

Same boat here.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:05 AM »
I’ve personally broken the hook on an expensive Fisk’s more than the EO jigs I bought. Any jig will weaken after a bunch of fish and especially if they eat it deep and you need the hemostats for removal.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Panfish toothpick, over hemos, just push down, don’t take paint off either!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Caught 3 buckets of fish on 2 EO jigs today. No broken hooks and no paint chipping.  Can't beat it.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Try these, great hook strength and large barbs.  There are 3 pages of jigs in the attachment.

https://energizedoutdoors.com/collections/tungsten-ice-jigs

Offline Longshoremen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Try these, great hook strength and large barbs.  There are 3 pages of jigs in the attachment.

https://energizedoutdoors.com/collections/tungsten-ice-jigs
bought 30 jigs for a dollar a piece last week and got a free jig box the green silicone one, I will be placing another order very happy 😊.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.