Author Topic: Northland's Bro Series Mud Bug  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Northland's Bro Series Mud Bug
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:09 AM »
Went to a local lake yesterday, not a great fishery but close to home and good roads to travel. Usually sight fish there and was getting plaqued by schools of dinks. So I decided to tie on one of the new Mud Bugs I had bought a few weeks ago, due to the large size head and buggy eyes I thought it might intimidate some of the dinks and give some of the larger fish a chance to bite. Well, I dropped it down the hole and bamm and 7.5 - 8" gill smacked it. Thinkin' I'm on to something I drop it back in and in a flash a pike that appeared in the 3 - 4# range took it, after a couple of minutes my Mud Bug and I parted as the 2# line broke.

Well, my very breif test of the new Northland jig proved positive but I was afraid to tie the other one on as I had seen a few pike cruising the area and I wanted to try it in a deep water situation (they sink like a rock). Anyone else tried these new jigs yet?

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Re: Northland's Bro Series Mud Bug
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Haven't tryed them yet ... they look like the'd work great.  Northland has a bunch of great jigs out.  My fave is a forage minnow ... perch love it!

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:54 AM »
The Mud Bug is similar in shape to the Northland Gill Getter, and I've had great success with that for bluegill.
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:51 AM »
The Mud Bug is similar in shape to the Northland Gill Getter, and I've had great success with that for bluegill.

The Gill Getter is similar in the fact that it has the bug eyes that are prevalant in the Bro Series and hangs at a 45 degree angle. But the Gill Getter is flat bottomed like the Gill Pill and has the knuckle ball action on the drop. The action of the Mud Bug is more like a Wolfram or Marmooska. Both do have large bodies in comparison to the hook size.

As soon as this Arctic Clipper leaves Michigan I'm gonna give both the Mud Bug and Gill Getter a good workout and see how they measure up to my old standbys.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Haven't tried the Mud Bug yet but the Scud Bug is a killer in and among the weeds

Offline jimmycrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live is good on the ice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:02 PM »
man sounds like a good go to!!

Offline Nick94

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA MapMan
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:36 AM »
i haven't used the mud bug (do you use a plastic or spikes on the hook) but I have used the northland slug bug in red and have had good success with that.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:14 PM »
i haven't used the mud bug (do you use a plastic or spikes on the hook) but I have used the northland slug bug in red and have had good success with that.

Have used it with Ratso tails, Lil Atom Duppie tails, and with waxies.

- - George Carlin

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I bought some last winter and tried them a few times with 2 spikes on the hook.  I had no luck.  The lake I was fishing has so many small fish and no pike that I know of.  I need to try them in a different lake and see what happens.

Offline jstfish48162

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:33 PM »
just bought some of these myself. can't wait to get out and give them a shot.
you cant fix stupid:banghead:

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:56 PM »
got any color pattern recommendations?
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I use the fire ant pattern.  I like the glow red.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Have used a #10 Woodtick Mud Bug with Duppie tail for a few weeks now and the gills have been hitting it well.
Sinks like a rock and shows up well on sonar.

- - George Carlin

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »
had great success with the mud bugs and gill getters.  the glow red is awesome for the evening bite.  i prefer horizontal jigs that fish heavy...prolly why i have tons of wolfram jigs.
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.