Author Topic: Getting closer to the big gills  (Read 2337 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
Getting closer to the big gills
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:00 PM »
My friend and i got lucky and happened to drill a hole right on the edge of a weeed bed last week (saw it w/ the aqua vu).  So we fished it in hopes of getting some bigger gills but we didn't get squat. ???  Isnt that the perfect spot to get some gills or do you prefer fishing right over the weeds?
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Re: Getting closer to the big gills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:07 PM »
The best I think is any hole or opening in the weeds they seem to come in for a meal. Larger gills seem to be up futher in the water column like  at the eight foot mark out of ten feet of water.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Generally, in shallow water I'll find 'em in clear areas in the weed beds. In deeper water I'll usually find 'em suspended some where in the bottom 10' over flats just off the first major drop off.

Depressions on shallow water flats are sometimes a panfish magnet, say a 10' hole on a 5' flat.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:14 PM »
I would suggest dilling at least 10 holes in the weedbed area. Once you have that done, you can start hole hopping to narrow down the search. Keep popping holes until you get on fish.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Ditto...stay on the weeds, and drill more holes if need be...keep moving till you find em...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:56 PM »
This time of year, the larger 'Gills have retreated to the basins of the Lakes! You will find the dinks in the weeds and Hammer Handles galore. The larger 'Gills will mix right in with the Callies. There metabolism is at it's slowest right now, so they reserve their energy and only feed at the 2 peak times of the day. This is just a generalization from past experience. They will feed at other times but out of pure opportunity!
Mid March...well that is a different story. The feed bag will be on and this is the absolute best time to get Trophy Class 'Gills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.